4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller that is relentless in every way
I really enjoyed being swept along by the relentless action that pitches very ordinary Tom Meron headlong into two days of unremitting terror.

Published on 9 July 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Shallow
Simon Kernick writes fast stories, you can't knock him for pace or events. Things happen - rather unlikely things, it must be said - but if you seek a little bit of excitement in your crime fiction, then Kernick's latest will probably not disappoint.

Published on 25 Mar. 2007 by OEJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller that is relentless in every way, 9 July 2006
Amazon Customer (Bournemouth UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Relentless (Hardcover)

The book has two main characters; Tom Meron is the completely innocent victim who is hunted by the criminals and the police simultaneously, and DCI Mike Bolt of the National Crime Squad who leads the police investigation and hunt for Meron.

The structure of the book is unusual, the chapters seen from Tom Meron's point of view are written in the first person, but those for DCI Bolt in third person, a device that works extremely well as it changes the pace of the novel from frantic for Meron to challenging and baffling for Bolt, this device also helps to develop their characters, build tension and increase our involvement.

The chilling ex Bosnian mercenary Lench who is hunting Meron on behalf of a shadowy powerful business figure is a memorable villain.

As in all the best thrillers nothing is what it seems and everybody is lying.

Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, 7 Aug. 2007
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
What do you do when you answer the phone and hear your best friend being murdered? not only that, but he has just told his killers where you live.

This is a tale which grabs you by the throat from start to finish and doesn't let up until the end. In that sense it is "relentless", as you won't be able to put it down until you know what has happened. It took me a day to read this, so hooked was I by it. Excellent holiday reading- enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read., 31 Oct. 2007
J. Field - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book of Simon Kernick's I have read, but won't be the last. To begin with, I didn't enjoy the 1st person narrative right at the start of the book, but I have to say that once I overcame that, I enjoyed reading the story.

It is quick paced, interesting and convincing - the characters are believable, although I believe there is one glaring mistake in the plot - but I won't ruin it for you.

If you enjoy crime solving novels and don't want anything heavy, this is probably for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shallow, 25 Mar. 2007
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Relentless (Hardcover)

In this latest escapade describing the improbable crises surrounding a software salesman, perhaps to show how even a Joe Normal can lead the life of a cop with a licence to kill for a couple of days, Kernick re-introduces one or two fringe characters of earlier novels but the most interesting of them all - Dennis Milne - sadly doesn't feature. Having read The Business of Dying, A Good Day to Die and The Crime Trade (but not The Murder Exchange) I'm becoming familiar with this author's style and while in Relentless it does as usual involve murder and violence it's somehow a lighthearted story with little in the way of character development or even characters who are memorable or interesting. They are just characters and most of them sound the same in conversation. There's very little in the way of true detective work, pathology, forensic analysis or courtroom drama; instead it's just the events unfolding before the reader's eyes and many will find it entertaining.

Compared to some other leading British crime fiction writers, such as Val McDermid, Mark Billingham and Ian Rankin, I have to say that for now Kernick lacks the intricate plot-weaving that is McDermid's traditional strength and the likeable characters and humour that Billingham and Rankin do so well. But Kernick seems to have ground out a kind of niche for himself that in turn seems to be successful, and while I would like him to do more technical research into his police work I think it's likely that I will buy his next novel SEVERED; the synopsis again sounds as unlikely as in Relentless but gets you curious enough to want to know what it's all about.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks substance, 29 Oct. 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
In the hands of another author (Ian Rankin sprang to mind) this decent idea could, with a bit more development, been made into a good book. In the hands of Kernick however it's an opportunity wasted.

The problems are many, firstly the characters - the main protagonist (Tom) lost all sympathy by his illogical, unbelievable and rather strange actions throughout the book (why not call the police after the first phone call? why run from the police station? why lie to anyone who tries to help?) personally I couldnt help but feel he deserved what happened to him, he certainly could have done more to help himself.

It's virtually impossible to have sympathy with his wife (young kids, recently married yet lies to her husband, has affairs with her husbands best man and her own lesbian colleague, gets people killed with her irresponsible behaviour) - and Tom wants her back?!?

The main villain (Lench....wasn't he one of the Bash Street Kids?) is a real missed opportunity - hired killer, Bosnian war veteran wanted for war crimes - he has the potential to be a genuinely terrifying bad guy - but is left sadly under developed (any why is his background only revealed at the end of the book, when he's dead? it would have been better to develop Lench with this info throughout the book - it would have added some (much needed) extra tension.

There is also a hugely underdeveloped back plot (they super rich business man who has hired Lench) which could have added a lot to the book but this is only mentioned a few times and there is no effort to develop it or bring it into the main story.

As for the end of the book, it left me strangely flat and uninterested, it's almost like the author has lost interest. The final fight scene is amateurish and almost completely without tension or surprise and the 'surprise' ending just left me feeling 'so what?'

The story could have been good but I couldn't help feeling that Kernick approached it from the wrong angle and left it underdeveloped - maybe he wasnt confident enough to beef out the story?

I think it would have been far better if the Bosnian angle and the super rich business man story lines had been more to the fore and the 'one man wronged' angle had been pushed slightly back.

Kernicks writing style doesnt endear either, it's rather basic and uninvolving - having said that this is an easy read and It did pass the time on a couple of days bus journeys to work, hence the 2 stars.

I will not be digging out any more books by the author however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to be extremely anti-social cos you won't wanna put this book down!!, 24 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm gonna be honest, I'm not usually into reading in a huge way. Ok, I've read loads of footballers autobiographies and the occasional novel (it took me months upon end to finish the Da Vinci Code), but I fancied a read of "Relentless" after seeing it advertised on a train station bill-board in London.

The synopsis of the story caught my attention straight away so I thought I'd give it a go and asked for it for my birthday to read on holiday recently. So, I'm at the airport, a bit bored, and thought I'd start it (I almost forgot to put it down when I had to show my passport and flight ticket). During the 4 hour flight to Cyprus I completed about 90% of the book and finished it whilst sunning meself beside the pool the next day.

It's the first time I've actually been totally gutted to finish a book, I just wanted it to carry on. The story is intensely gripping, the characters are fantastically identifible and, just like many other reviewers have already said, the pace of the book is just non-stop. It would make an amazing film as it contains plently of intrigue, mystery and several great twists which constantly keep you guessing.

I really loved this book and would recommend it anybody, even those that don't usually go for crime novels, or in fact, reading in general. I enjoyed it so much, I've just ordered Kernick's first 2 books, and will soon be getting his next novel "Severed" aswell.

Top stuff indeed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Relentless, 23 Feb. 2014
P. Matthews (Stoke on Trent) - See all my reviews
I read this book some time ago. as a paperback, and was the first Simon Kernick book I read. I think it is one of his best and I recently re read it on my Kindle. There are few books that I would read a second time but this was one. It is a roller coaster of a read with all the ingredients of the chase and what's it all about. Mystery slaps on mystery until all is revealed in the end. I thouroughly recommend it. Both times I read it in one sitting its that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars review on relentless, 10 Feb. 2014
I could not but the book down. Was still reading it well into the night and following morning. Now a fan of Simon Kernick

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine thriller, 9 Feb. 2014
a very enjoyable book with unexpected twists on a regular basis throughout and right up to the end. I would recommend a read

5.0 out of 5 stars go get them, 7 Feb. 2014
Brilliant book to read a real page turner. Some bits did drag on a bit but kept you coming back for more

Relentless
Relentless by Simon Kernick (Mass Market Paperback - 21 May 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01