Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 13 October 2009
I have a secret love for Jilly Cooper novels which started in my teens when I devoured as many as I could get my hands on. Many of them appeal to old fashioned romantic ideals and I like the formula - Girl meets devastatingly handsome boy, boy rejects girl, girl is heartbroken, girl looks for love elsewhere, Mr handsome realises his mistake, happy ending (although not always the one you think is coming)!

Harriet is a warm, funny and endearing tale of a shy student who is forced to leave University to take on a job as a nanny for the children of a temperamental older man. Left in the middle of nowhere with 2 children, a baby and a naughty dog to look after she struggles to cope with her new life.

This is a charming story that has made me laugh and cry every time I have read it.
on 2 February 2012
This was the first Jilly Cooper novel I ever read, and hooked me from the start.

Jilly Cooper has a wonderful, flowing style, writes witty, believable dialogue and creates fabulous, outrageous and entertaining characters. I also think she gives a wonderful sense of place and mood, creating a totally absorbing read.

Like the others in this series, I've read Harriet several times; when other, contemporary romantic novels fail to inspire me, I return to this series, knowing I'm going to get what I'm looking for - i.e. escapism, fun, entertainment and a satisfying romantic read.

I love it when Harriet, so cross with her boss's unreasonable behaviour, cleans the bath with his flannel. You gotta smile!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 December 2007
Written in the 70s this is slightly dated now, but shows all the early sparkle and wit that Jilly Cooper may have lost (based on Wicked). A slightly different heroine, since Harriet has a baby from a failed love affair, but all the spirit, warmth, energy and romance is there. Perfect to revive and refresh your spirit.
on 12 February 2014
I read this many years ago as a teenager growing up in Australia with a crush on anything English. I love Harriet, she deserves to be rescued by a dashing knight.
on 1 April 2013
I read this book years ago, and whilst I didn't think I would really like the people in it if I met them, as they were all pro hunting, rich types, I loved the idea of marrying the boss and living happily ever after. Even though I now know life isn't quite like that, I still occasionally like to revisit the novel as a happy memory.
on 6 July 2014
I love this story. I had a copy of this book years ago and re-discovered it recently, but it was falling to pieces. As it's a story you can read over and over I decided to invest in a new copy. Such a sweet story, and Jilly always gives us a lovely happy ending.
on 8 November 2013
this (and Imogen) are my favourite old Jilly Coopers, the book equivalant of a warm bath. It helps that both Harriet and Cory are likeable however (not all JC characters are)- this really stands the test of time
on 24 February 2014
I bought this for my teenage daughter, who absolutely adored it and now want to read the rest of the Jilly Cooper catalogue.
on 8 February 2016
Love this series of books from Jilly cooper . Have them in paperback when they first come out , so now reading them again on my kindle . Great read if you want to laugh and a bit of romance . All the characters in the books you can relate to .
on 11 June 2011
This book came very swiftly from the seller. Harriet is a very funny and relaxing read. Would heartily recommend this book as it is a great laugh and easy to read.