Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2009
After attending some classes on The History of Hull I was told that I would probably find Valerie Wood books interesting. They are certainly that and the ones that I have read so far I have found really good. She seems to be able to put a lot of the old landmarks of Hull and the surrounding areas into her books.
on 21 January 2012
My first book read by Valerie Wood.It was a thoroughly good read and will certainly be downloading more by her.
on 12 October 2011
This is my first Val Wood book and will certainly not be my last. The story from start to finish flows. Wonderfully written. Jenny's trials, tribulations and happiness are lived by the reader. A rags to riches story but riches in the sense of happiness and contented love over money. Very detailed accounts of life as a kitchen maid and the running of big house making the story all the more believable. The ending is quite unexpected but totally endearing. When finished, I wanted more to read and was sad to put it on the bookshelf.
on 6 August 2010
Better than good! I love the way she writes abouth the caracters, the way they lived their lives!
All her books are my favorites.
on 10 May 2012
Great read i enjoyed this book and will be buying more of this writers work.
My girls are now enjoying this book.
on 20 January 2013
This book was an excellent read and once again the authoress writes in a way that is easy to follow. I have read 3 of her books now and in each one the storyline is excellent. If you like reading period books you cannot go wrong in choosing one of hers.
on 12 January 2014
I chose five star as this book was brilliant and I wish the Author Valerie Wood would do a sequel this book as I would really like to see what happens to Billy and Jenny ow they are married.
on 13 May 2013
Fantastic book, you would never imagine how it was in those days. Writer is brilliant, makes you really feel your there. Fast delivery, recommend the seller. Thank You.
on 10 February 2011
Valerie Wood books are great, i have every one of them. seeing as she lives and writes about the area i live i can visualise all the places
on 2 February 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this story, needed to finish it to find out the ending. I have read several stories by the same author.