Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2006
Danielle Steel is an excellent writer with a huge production. Perhaps one cannot expect that every one of her books should be five stars unputdownable.

This one is not. There are too many typical Danielle Steel clichés in this book to make you feel you are reading a fresh new piece of work. I felt I had read most of it before and although there ARE family problems to be solved, they hardly seem as earth shattering as the synopsis indicates.

The people in this book are well educated middle upper class, or even "blue blooded". The young people go to Europe in the summer and meet the rest of the family who holidays in St Tropez, Monaco etc. etc.

An invitation for the twin daughters to a coming out ball becomes a huge problem for the family. Even if the twins are the heroine's daughters from a previous marriage and even if father/step father highly disagree about the matter, it's hardly the most serious problem for a family to have to deal with. Neither is choice of ivy leage university and which one of the divorced parents (who can both very well afford it) should pay the tuition, the toughest situation to handle. Apart from the background of the older Jewish members of the family and some of the young people's struggle in finding their place in life and modern society, the family seems privileged and blessed in every way.

What makes the book readable in spite of the lack of a real storyline, is Miss Steel's unique talent as a storyteller. She has the ability to create a story from the "thinnest" material and make the characters come amazingly alive.

I actually quite enjoyed myself. Not first class reading, but not boring either. Predictable, but pleasant enough.

So to all Danielle Steel fans, go ahead and buy. Although you might want to wait for the paperback - or head to the nearest library!
on 28 October 2006
....for Danielle. I will admit it took me only 5 hours to read once I started I couldn't put it down. From a drunken ex husband with a hussy for a wife refusing to pay his share of school tuition becasue of a party. The jewish step dad refusing to go to the party (coming out ball) because its for whites and blue blooded only. Without telling you what happens I can't go into detail but it is a great book as normal from Danielle it is one of her shorter books but well worth the read and as it is quite cheap anyway it makes it an even better bargin.
I'm a huge Daniel Steel Fan and was looking forward to reading this novel, unfortunately I was very disappointed. :-(

A novel about a mother with a legal career, who has four children, twin girls and two boys. The twin girls are from her first marriage and have just finished high school. Olympia, (mother) receives an invitation for her girls to attend an exclusive coming out ball. Only one of her daughters wants to go and both her husbands aren't happy about the girls going, this causes a huge problem within the family.

Being a fan of hers for over 15yrs I was extremely disappointed but there was nothing special about the story. :-(

Granted it's an easy read but I like novel to have a story. All I can say is I wish I'd have borrowed this from the library and not bought it.
on 4 May 2013
Exactly as advertised, good quality and value. Highly recommended +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---- --- --- --- --- ---- ---- --- --- ---
on 24 June 2016
There is always hours of enjoyment reading Danielle's books - always interesting subjects and situations - it's nice going into other people's lives
on 30 May 2014
A book where you feel as if you are part of the story.taking part in the family story and history and I felt like a princess for a few minutes.thank you Danielle steel.
on 21 March 2016
A book that as a family with teenage children you can relate too. It shows how a mothers love can succeed whilst everything else around her seems to be falling apart.
on 4 March 2014
Was as enjoyable as all of Danielle steel books I was as always drawn into all the characters and how they developed through their life's to the conclusion
on 25 November 2013
I have read a number of Danielle Steels books, and would recommend this book to friends and family. I will continue to read her books in the future.
on 9 May 2014
a very good story, enjoyed reading this while I was sat on the beach in Portugal. Another brilliant book. Thanks Danielle you are a great writer.