5.0 out of 5 stars The Fall Of A Legend
Well...word's almost fail me as I write this. Not only have i read every book ever released by David Gemmell, and the last being finished by his talented Wife Stella, I can now believe without a doubt Gemmell was the finest writer I've ever known.

Published on 9 Oct. 2007 by Mr. Paul S. Hammond

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
I am a huge David Gemmell fan and thought the first two Troy books were excellent. Unfortunately with the third you can tell where his wife/ghost writer took over, as all of a sudden characters seem two dimensional and behave out of character. I finished the book, but it left me feeling quite disappointed in the end. I gave it 3 stars purely because I appreciate Stella...
Published on 20 May 2008 by Mr. Philip Mcginness

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fall Of A Legend, 9 Oct. 2007
Mr. Paul S. Hammond "Paul Waylander" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)

This last trilogy had me year's ago when it was released, I preordered every new part to the series and only finishing the final book Fall Of King's mere minutes ago, its with almost a tear in my eye to say there will be no more, Fall Of King's in my eyes was the perfect title for David Gemmell for he was the King of writing.

I urge anyone who hasnt read this book, the trilogy as a whole, or any of David's books,to do so, you will not be disapointed. It has everything you need like action in the form's of mass battle's across the Scamander, to Hector's one on one fight's with Anchilles. The sense of bravery,loyalty,loss,happiness and the feeling that you know the character's so closely you feel their triumphs and pain like your own. I wont mention any spoiler's, I wouldnt want to spoil such a wonder to the eyes to read.

It is with a heavy heart I finish this, but to you David Gemmell, you truly were the King of storytelling, im sure Odysseus would agree!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent climax and testament to the master storyteller, 30 Sept. 2007
Mr. S. W. Henry "Steve Henry" (West Wales and worldwide worker) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
David Gemmells'untimely death before this work was completed was tragic for lovers of truly great heroic fantasy. Luckily Stella was there to complete the Troy saga, and what a wonderful job she made of it too. This trilogy is as fine a telling of the Troy saga as you will find with some fabulously different and credible interpretations of the traditionally told story.I loved every moment with this book and it saddens me that there will be no more from this wonderful author.
Gemmells'writing had, since Legend, gone from strength to strength over the years and this book stands as a fine testament to a great writer.
One of a rare breed of fantasy writers who could say as much in 3 pages as many so called top authors spend a chapter telling you,David [and Stella]at once draw you into their world of the age of heroes where you find yourself living the tale. The mark of a great storyteller.
Readers of Gemmell could do worse than try Joe Abercrombies' novels "The blade itself" saga, a new author full of the promise I saw in Gemmells early tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, 24 Sept. 2007
R. Mead - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
There is not much more to say,

David Gemmell's books have been part of my life since I got one for my 18th birthday.

I read that book (Winter Warriors) and it was the first piece of literature to actually make me laugh and cry (sometimes at the same time).

Since then I have made a point of always getting his books when they come out, and even having the privilege of meeting him at a Cambridge book signing.

I was incredibly impressed by his charisma and the way he was able to captivate his audience.

His books have been something that I have always looked forward to and always enjoyed when I get them.

When I heard of his passing I was very upset, but to hear that his good wife would then finish what he had started, was not only touching but wonderful.

If you haven't already, read this book and all of his others, then you will understand what the world has lost.

Thank you Mrs Gemmell, you finished this book seamlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Maintained., 23 Aug. 2007
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
When David died last year this was the novel that many fans never thought would see the light of day as he'd only written 70-80,000 words before passing away. Yet the publishers had every faith that his wife, Stella, would complete the novel and do so in such a way that it would please not only the fans but be a fitting tribute to the man who was Britain's King of Heroic Fantasy.

Yet many doubted that the quality that they'd come to expect would either A) be maintained or B) achieved by a novice author. That said however Stella had conducted the research for the series as it was always something that David hated doing and due to the complications of his personal health at the time he'd left a chapter by chapter plan for how he saw the novel proceeding to its conclusion.

So what can be said about this novel? Is it as many would ascertain "a cash in" on the authors name or does it stand on its own feet?

Whilst many will feel reluctant to pick up David's final work as he's an author that they grew up with such as myself, I really couldn't tell where David left off and Stella began, a sign of a person who had so engrossed herself in her husbands work that she seems to know exactly how to phrase things as well as keep to the themes promised to many of the fans. Whilst certain critics will always complain at the way in which the tale of Troy has been adapted by this newest incarnation for not sticking to the "Homerian" account, I can only applaud the changes to fit the authors style, purely for what many will see as a simplistic reasoning, Homer was a Storyteller like Odysseus within the tale and who are authors today but weavers of modern myths, each adapting the tale for their audience.

Within the pages are hints that this is indeed the tale that David longed to write for many years with nods to scenes earlier explored within other novels to see how well they would work not only from a strategic standpoint but to make sure that it worked well for the reader. This is not only a tale to love for a modern fan but could be no more than a fitting tribute to the "Legend" who is now the "King Beyond the Gate." Well written, lovingly crafted, excellently executed with a high enough body count to keep even the most blood thirsty fan happy. A true tale of all the virtues emulated throughout David's career and the reasoning behind the trilogy will no doubt assert itself to the readers as characters they've grown to love in previous installments meet their faiths pantheon when the gods decree. I can only congratulate Stella for her skill in completing the tale and would also like to offer the stick to poke the critic's eyeballs with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end, 11 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
I have now finished last volume of the trilogy...such a pity Gemmell died before completely finishing the last volume. I tried spotting where his wife had taken over but after a time I gave up and just enjoyed the story. The complete trilogy is a great take on the Troy myths which I found I wanted to just keep reading. I was sad when it finished ( I felt slightly unsatisfactorily) as the series is one of the few I come across that you sort of put off reading that next chapter because you want it to last longer! I wondered too if he was planning one on Rome because of the slight sub plot and ending.
If anyone wants to read another excellent take on Troy with a fantasy/scifi slant then read Dan Simmons two books, Olympus and Ilium

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you mrs gemmell, 26 Sept. 2007
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Troy: Fall of Kings (Paperback)
writer of heroic fantasy david gemmell died last year, shortly after the publication of the second volume of this trilogy of books that retells the story of the trojan war. I wondered at the time how far he'd gotten with this final volume. Now we find his wife stella has finished it, and thus we get to read how the story ends. And to be honest the writing is seamless. I can't spot any differences to his usual style.

At the end of book two war was imminent between troy and the mykenes. Alas it does take about one hundred and sixty before the story really gets going here, the start of the book being character drama. But once we get to a recreation of a certain scene from the end of the odyssey, this becomes a superb read, and I couldn't stop turning the pages. It's the last ever gemmell book, so I should perhaps have not wanted it to end, but I just had to find how the story would finish.

And it's a mark of good writing how much you come to care for these characters. The fates of several led to anguished cries of 'noooo!!' from me. The story is eventually wrapped up in a very good and gripping conclusion, and there's a beautiful epilogue that contains a wonderful line about storytellers that can also serve as an epitaph for david gemmell.

So thanks to david for all this wonderful reading that he gave us, and thanks to stella for letting us find out how this one ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please continue Stella..., 4 Oct. 2007
Stephen (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy: Fall Of Kings (Hardcover)
A wonderfully plotted book. I've read many re-tellings of the Iliad, but this is the most imaginative and enjoyable.

I hope this is not the "Farewell" that many of the other reviewers suggest, but the start of a new Gemmell tradition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rip-roaring climax to the trilogy, 22 Jan. 2012
Iset (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Troy: Fall of Kings (Trojan War Trilogy): 3 (Mass Market Paperback)
Once again, forgive the brevity of this review, but much of what I had to say about this last novel in the trilogy I have already presented in my review of the first book. I must admit, there was a note of concern going into this final instalment - Fall of Kings was sadly left as an unfinished work by David Gemmell's passing, and his widow Stella used his notes to complete the novel and see it to publication. Obviously, I was somewhat concerned that there might be a visible "join" in the novel where David's writing ended and Stella's began, in two completely disparate styles, but there simply wasn't. I couldn't distinguish between the two styles of writing or discern where one ended and the other began, and this was excellent news as it really keeps the flow of the novel going and helped it to retain its cohesion and purpose.

If anything, we encounter even more action and adventure than in the previous novels, as the overarching plotline reaches its climax with the unfolding of the Trojan War and the thematic tearing down of the establishment of previous instalments. The eventual fate of Helikaon and Andromache was not a surprise to me, but only because I'd been keeping the established mythos in mind, not because I expected it - Gemmell altered a fair bit of the Aeneas story throughout this trilogy, so much so that I wasn't certain Aeneas' tale would be wrapped up in concordance with "canon". However the eventual fate of characters such as Kalliades and Odysseus is left a mystery, and certainly wasn't predictable - to the point where I almost wished, just because I connected with those characters so much, that there could have been a little bit more resolution. The fate of certain other characters was definitely surprising, and deviated a great deal from the "canon" of Homer and other ancient story-tellers, but it came across as surprising and interesting rather than an unacceptable alteration. The sheer pace and action of Fall of Kings really made it a rip-roaring read too - I was torn between wanting to find out what happened next and drawing out the moment when I'd have finished reading the trilogy! It actually inspired me to get a hold of Gemmell's duology about Parmenion, just so that I could once again enjoy Gemmell's absorbing story-telling style in an historical setting.

A truly engrossing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A master piece in literary craftsmanship., 19 Aug. 2010
J. Graan - See all my reviews
I finished Fall of Kings about five minutes ago and just had to record my feelings. I've never felt such a sense of dread as I approached the final pages of a trilogy. Who can ever be ready to say goodbye to the alluring and fiery Andromache, the brave and valiant Helikaon, the larger than life Odysseus, the heroic yet troubled Hektor, or the wonderfully flawed Banokles.

As all his fans know, Mr Gemmell sadly passed away during the authoring of Fall of Kings, leaving a gap as large as the Great Green in the fantasy genre. Wonderfully, his wife Stella stepped in to complete the last book and the English language doesn't allow me enough adjectives to thank her for finishing this great work so beautifully. I approached Fall of Kings with a small sense of hesitation, not knowing if Mrs Gemmell was ready to fill the gigantic boots of David, I can happily report that I was so very wrong. It truly was impossible to see where David stopped and Stella picked up.

The trilogy explores an alternative story to the sacking of Troy and the run up the led to the event. We're introduced to a score of characters, so believably and masterfully rendered that it leaves the reader wanting to believe they were real. They certainly were real to me. Betrayal, blossoming love, forbidden love, murder, war, heroic bravery, humour, hopelessness, hope, it's all in there folks, it's all done like only Mr Gemmell ever could.

Towards the final lines of the novel, Andromache stands on the beach, lost in thoughts and heartache as she looks on towards the burning Xanthos sailing west, holding the battle-worn body of her husband, lover and friend, Helikaon. She realised that she walked with heroes. She walked with Helikaon, Odysseus, Hektor, Priam, Kassandra, Banokles, Kalliades and scores other now walking the Fields of Elysium. An apt way to conclude a great work.

Thank you David for allowing us to walk with your heroes too. Thank you for the stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy conclusion to the trilogy, 6 April 2008
A. Whitehead "Werthead" (Colchester, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
David Gemmell sadly passed away after completing about 90,000 words of the third and final volume of his Troy Trilogy. Fall of Kings was completed by his wife, Stella (who was his editor and researcher throughout the trilogy), and published at the end of 2007.

We pick up after the events of Shield of Thunder. The Great Green is beset by war. Agamemnon and his allies (including the reluctant Odysseus) have secured most of the west and are now poised to strike directly at Troy itself. Hektor is leading the effort to dislodge their armies to the south, whilst Banokles - very reluctantly - is commanding forces to the north. Helikaon is ordered to sea, to take Kassandra to the island of Thera, but along the way he meets Odysseus and is drawn into a side-adventure to Ithaka.

Fall of Kings is a worthy conclusion to the trilogy. It's very difficult to tell where David Gemmell left off this work and his wife took over, and it's probably for the best to ignore that diversion and just enjoy the story. This book is, predictably, the story of the siege and fall of Troy, and frankly it may now have to be classified as the definitive modern retelling of the myth. The duel between Hektor and Achilles is here, but with a very interesting spin placed on it, whilst the fate of Helen is beautifully depicted. But it's the end of the book, particularly the last stand of the survivors within the palace of Troy, which will probably live longest in the memory.

Fall of Kings (****) is definitely not quite as polished as the prior two books in the series, but finding out the fates of the characters we have grown to know and love over the course of the trilogy more than makes up for any (minor) weaknesses in the prose. This is a fitting end to a monumental story of war, love and honour, and a grand retelling of one of the greatest myths of all time. Thoroughly reccomended.

Troy: Fall of Kings (Trojan War Trilogy): 3
Troy: Fall of Kings (Trojan War Trilogy): 3 by David Gemmell (Mass Market Paperback - 24 Mar. 2008)