4.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons
Everywhere there is suspicion of conspiracy. What might be offputting to some readers is the extravagence of the violence towards inncent victims, but then again it is no different to in the other books. This particular story finds demons emerging out of religion and inhabiting a select group of scientists, the Illuminati, a group supposedly long disbanded, but appearing...
Published on 14 Jun 2012 by Isaac-E

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Drivel
I started reading this book and thought to myself, I've been here before and indeed i had. This book feels like a poor replica of the Da Vinci code. It has almost the same plot. Professor and girl (who has had friend/relative murdered). They follow clues to the Vatican. Solve the clues. Professor goes in secret Vatican crypt where he has never been before, (yes he has in...
Published 15 months ago by Stuart Barrett

‹ Previous | 1 2 369 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Terror in the Vatican, 17 Jan 2004
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Dan Brown's Angels and Demons is a fast-paced detective drama that involves science, art, the Catholic Church, and murder.
Harvard symbology professor Robert Langdon is the protagonist who finds himself at a Swiss nuclear research facility. It seems a scientist, who specialized in explosive antimatter, has been murdered and the historically infamous society, the Illuminati, is involved. The antimatter has been taken, and Langdon joins the scientist's daughter, Vittoria, on a mad dash through some of Rome's most famous landmarks, in an effort to find it before the Vatican is leveled.
If you read "The Da Vinci Code," this plot will be very familiar to you: Robert receives yet another call in the middle of the night, is taken to see another dead man killed by a secret anti-Catholic society, and helps the victim's lovely daughter/granddaughter unravel a series of clues to solve the crime - all at breakneck speed!
I liked the plot of Angels and Demons and found much of middle section wonderfully absorbing and tense, as Robert and Vittoria decipher ancient clues and race from place to place in Rome, fast on the heels of a murderer. The beginning of the book, which discusses antimatter, was slow-going for me and the conclusion is way over the top in terms of realism. The timeline was a major stumbling block: Being able to travel great distances across Rome in minutes (even seconds) took away some credibility for me.
In spite of the weaknesses, the basic story of Angels and Demons is very exciting and, at times, even spine-tingling. If you have been to Rome, you will enjoy revisiting the city in this book. You'll also learn about the inner workings of the Vatican, how a new Pope is selected, and about the Illuminati, which I found fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 Aug 2013
Loved it as much as The Da Vinci Code. Not only entertaining I found it quite educational as well. Another great Dan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, 22 Jun 2009
Jane Barney "Rubble" (Worcester England) - See all my reviews
I had read The Da Vinci Code a few years ago whilst on holiday and couldn't put it down. I went to see the film and enjoyed it too although it was very different to the book. With this in mind I decided to read Angels & Demons before the film and in doing so was very disappointed with the film.

The book is amazing,probably the best book I have read in years, and considering I read a book a week that is pretty impressive. I started to read it on Thursday evening after I had finished the daily work, dinner and school routines. Went to work Friday and did the same monotonous routines that evening then started to read my book. By eight o'clock that evening was completely hooked.
Saturday up four am to start reading in earnest, by late evening had finished it, only stopping to make lunch and dinner (to my families amazement)

A definite must read book, a million times better than the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning tale of deceit!, 5 Jun 2005
Miss Hancock "Lizzie H" (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
I know I'm not the only one to say this but I am well and truly hooked. Dan Brown has produced to us yet another stunning book of betrayal and mystery which leaves the reader in shock. I read this book in 4 days, I just could not put it down. Robert Langdon is a perfect character to solve the mystery that surrounds the Vatican, and towards to end you begin to question Catholocism, as I suppose Dan Brown wants you to do. The story unwinds and after every chapter comes another surprise. Even the last 5 chapters, which normally see books coming to a close, throws in a few shocks!! It does start off slightly slow but the later chapters make up for the beginning. Its absolutely fantastic, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick read. After reading this book I could tell people loads of interesting things about the Church and the Vatican, so think of it as education!

1.0 out of 5 stars Demonically awful, 22 Mar 2010
J. Macdonald (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
I knew this was going to be a turkey when I got to the third page. Robert Langdon is wandering barefoot through his deserted Massachusetts Victorian home nursing a mug of steaming cocoa whilst - "the April moon filtered through the bay windows and played on the oriental carpets."

Even worse - on the same page - "Although not overly handsome in a classical sense, the 45 year old Langdon had what his female colleagues referred to as an 'erudite' appeal....." .

And then on page 69 (after which I gave up) - the lithe & graceful Vittoria Vetra emerges - "not overly beautiful (sounds familiar)but possessing full earthy features that exude a raw sensuality....as the air currants buffeted her body, her clothes clung, accentuating her slender torso & small breasts."

A book stuffed with hackneyed drivel, it's worse than Mills & Boon or a 16 year old on a creative writing course.

Obviously for the less discerning reader yet it has sold millions. A literary snob? Damn right I am. There's enough junk in life these days as it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dubious Demons, 5 July 2004
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Since having grabbing my attention with the Da Vinci Code, I have become something of a fan of Mr Brown's books. However, reading Angels & Demons took away some of the 'magic' that had captivated me after reading the Da Vinci Code (DVC).
This book starts out alot slower than the DVC but once it gets going you're hooked as Robert Langdon races round Rome trying to find an (H)assassin before it's too late, the details and ambigrams in this book really did surprise me and I was once again sucked into the fantastic world of Dan Brown, his writing is truly refreshing (although his plots sometimes leave alot to be desired). While you could cast the niggling doubts you had about the plot in the DVC aside - due to the fact that it might just be possible - Angels & Demons pushes the reader too far in terms of what they can regard as plausible.
I'll try not to give too much away but falling 3 Miles into foaming water (no matter how much Dan wants you to believe that it's three times softer than standing water) especially when this water isn't an ocean (relatively shallow) you just really wonder whether Mr Brown wrote himself into a corner that he can only get out of by coming up with something incredibly dubious and highly unbelievable which totally spoils the book - unless you can read this part and then pretend it never happened :)
Despite my dislike at how the book arrives at its otherwise excellent conclusion (including a truly unexpected twist) I enjoyed Angels & Demons. Dan Brown really does research his books well and even if you don't subscribe to his views you still have to admire the detail he goes into in his book, the ambigrams alone are worth picking this book up for as i'd never seen one until i read Angels & Demons!
Recommended although it's a long way off the DVC.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Demons of Religion, 29 Jun 2009
J. Brooking (Ariccia, Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
In a typical Dan Brown manner this book provides suspense, the reader is continually drawn on to the next episode by a series of mysteries. Everywhere there is suspicion of conspiracy. What might be offputting to some readers is the extravagence of the violence towards inncent victims, but then again it is no different to in the other books. This particular story finds demons emerging out of religion and inhabiting a select group of scientists, the Illuminati, a group supposedly long disbanded, but appearing in a very dangerous form. There is adventure, even impossible adventure, a hero and heroine, and even romance. The underlying thought seems to me to be the same as in "The Da Vinci Code", a conspiracy on behalf of certain groups to hoodwink people into believing in their God rather than something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like the Da Vinci code but worth while none the less, 21 Nov 2004
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Having read some of the other reviews about this book I was a little disheartened. I've also read several other Dan Brown books and the way the story works in this book is very different to the others. It was however pleasantly surprising once I was a few chapters into it. The book was a little slow to start with, but I suppose that's because of the amount of detail that Dan Brown has included (which always amazes me).
The book, as has been described by others revolves around science and religion, a deadly plot to overthrough the catholic church and Robert Langdon, a symbologist from Harvard who is called in to help solve the mystery. I found this book to be excellent reading (a real can't 'put-downer')and at one point I caught myself questionning my ideas of God and Science so it must have had some kind of effect on me!!
In short.. it's not the Da Vinci Code, but then do you want an author to produce the same thing over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the movie...!, 9 July 2009
D. Aitkenhead "Dom_2112" (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
if you've seen the film before reading this then big mistake. I am currently in the middle of reading The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons is truly a better read. Yes D.C has some nice facts and i constantly find my self googling 'Davinci' paintings (lol) but Angels and demons is so much more a thriller and the ending is a climax well worth waiting for. I'm so glad i read this book first but i'm a little sad that 'Davinci' is in the shadows of A&D as it's also a fantastic book (granted i'm only 2/3rds through)

The film is good but doesn't do any justice so read this first then eat your pop corn... couldn't recommend this enough! Truly breath taking...

9/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable...but who cares?, 2 July 2006
K. Elliott (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
I found this to be a cracking good read, better than the Da Vinci code. The action is even more fast paced and the plot is inventive and exciting. Yes it is totally unbelievable but its fun and quick and at times surprising with a climactic finish. Brown has a gift for writing breathless novels which are well written enough that it doesn't matter how ridiculous the basic premises may seem. A great novel.

‹ Previous | 1 2 369 | Next ›

Angels And Demons
Angels And Demons by Dan Brown (Paperback - 1 July 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01