Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2005
This book is a sort of follow on from the exellent Doorstep girls but it follows the lifes of Georgiana and Kitty and also Edward Newmarch as they make new lives for themselves in America.
Georgiana longs for equality and fought for womens rights in England and as she begins her exciting and sometimes dangerous journey across parts of America she realizes that she has finally got the equality she has wanted. Meeting lots of interesting people on the way including Indians one of whom becomes more involved with her then he thought he would.
Edward on the other hand does not fair so well and spends a great deal of his time on the run. The way their storys mingle then finally come together is brilliant with Edward finally mending his ways and georgiana taking care of his child.
Then in the last few chapters when georgiana and edwards daughter jewel visit Hull we get to visit the old characters and catch up the lives of Ruby and Grace. This book is fantasic and although Valerie writes brilliantly about Hull it was nice to be taken to somewhere new where you could very easily imagine the new world of America
on 10 November 2013
Love all Val Woods books. Can not put these down once I start reading one. It is worth looking at her list of published books first and start at the beginning as the characters appear in different books. Although they could be read randomly as well!
on 7 March 2014
This was a book I could not put down. The story held me all the way though. I have read many of Valerie Woods books and usually the stories are about people and places of an area that is known to me. However this one although starting out from Hull takes the reader much further afield to America. It is set in the time just after the gold rush of 1849 and follows the adventures of a very independent Lady and her companion/servant. It is a book I would certainly recommend.
on 6 December 2013
I love Valerie woods books, this particular story caught my attention right from the start. I rated the book 5 stars because its a fantastic story, with history that was very well research and the book was easy to read. I would recommend this book to any one as it a cracking good read.
on 31 August 2013
I love her books and working my way through them. I might not be from the areas that
are in the books but as i family there it is really good knowing about the places mentioned
in the book.
on 22 June 2014
Valerie Wood writes great books and this one is no exception. Easy to read and heart warming. I can thoroughly recommend her books to anyone who likes to read how life was in the 1930's +.
on 18 September 2013
Yet another wonderful book by Valerie Wood. I can't get enough of them. Powerful characters and wonderful descriptions. I really felt as though I was on the journey.
on 16 September 2013
have just read the doorstep girls which was good so i couldnt wait for this book to arrive and i am now more than halfway through another good read by val woods
on 10 May 2013
i really do love this book it is one of val woods better ones its the third time i have read over the years but i must say i really enjoy reading it on kindle
on 25 October 2015
I have not got round to reading this book yet but as I always enjoy this author im sure this will be up to her usual standards.Thank you for good reading