on 27 August 2012
(Catherine Cookson, The Cinder Path)
Farmers' life in Northumberland was complete terra incognita for me - and it developed to be very interesting. The fate of two or three families in the decades before and during World War I - with one of the most moving battle-descriptions I ever read - contains half a dozen extremely different characters, who all engage our sympathy though they react of course very differently to the events. The central hero does not seem to be born to manage a farm, but rather to become a professor of literature, - but after coming out of the horrors of the war almost unwounded (having lost quite a number of friends) he decides to go back home and continue what his fore-fathers began. Of course he meets some girls, marries the wrong one, but at last finds what changes his fate to more hopeful prospects.
C.Cookson can write very thrilling dialogues, the background of the farms in Northumberland is well illustrated and the tension between some of the characters keeps the reader's interest up to the end.
on 1 February 2014
If you lke Catherine Cookson you will enjoy this book. It gves a 'warts and all' insight into rural life before, during and after the First World War. It llustrates the struggles of the 'lower class' villagers and the indignities they suffered just to survive and is a social statement on the class struggles of the time and, for the more informed amongst us, can prick the conscious regarding the class struggles that still exist.
on 8 October 2014
I'm a huge Catherine Cookson fan but this book I struggled to finish and would not recommend. If you are thinking of reading a Catherine Cookson book, look at The Fifteen Streets, The Mallen Trilogy or The Gambling Man.
on 1 September 2015
I was curious to read after watching the story on television. The book was long on description and the characters seem muddled to me. Not my cup of tea
on 20 October 2013
I have read every CC book there is and this is one of the best. Always satisfied and I have read this many, many times over the years.
on 5 November 2015
Great reading as always. Saw tv film first but lovedthe book as much more detail.
on 25 July 2015
As usual couldn't put it down until the end. 5 stars
on 6 August 2014
Social history depicted in an interesting way.
on 1 June 2015
Very interesting book couldnt put it down
on 29 January 2016
Excellent read like all Cookson books.