Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 April 2002
I enjoyed this book which although viewing life in WW2 from a different viewpoint, was nevertheless quite gripping in that one wished to know what would happen to these diverse people, some of whom lived in what, to a comparitively wealthy American, would appear to be abject poverty. The effect on the lives of both the villagers and the 'Yanks' was quite graphically depicted and, as it was in WW2, there was no neatly wrapped up ending, more a satisfactory conclusion to a confusing episode in the lives of villagers who previously would rarely venture beyond the nearest county town if that.
on 20 January 2002
I have never read any of Margaret Mayhews books before but after reading this one I will definately be doing so.
Our Yanks tells the story of a small village coping with the war and the effect that the arrival of the Americans has on everyone, from the young girls who fall in love ,to the older ladies who are gratefull for the companionship and household help they get ,to the old Brigadier who at first is opposed to the yanks but in time comes to accept them and apprieciates their help.
This book was one that once I picked it up I just wanted to carry on reading and I wish it had been a lot longer.
on 8 May 2010
The front of the book almost says it all and at the same time not. This book is predictable and reminds me of an old TV series called "Till We Meet Again". It is in a way like a history book and could be a really nice introduction for a teenager that knows nothing about WWII and what it was like when the Yanks arrived to a war fatigued Britain.
It is 1943 and the little village King's Thorpe has so far been spared enemy bombings and yanks but of course have suffered through years of food and clothing rations and loosing the young men to different services. The novel lets us follow a few of the villagers. The vicar's daughter Agnes, that foolishly got engaged to a not so nice British man from the village in 1941. Lady Beauchamp, a young widow since Dunkirk, who has had to flee London with her little son, to live with her mother-in-law, at the family country estate. Miss Cutteridge, who has lived alone ever since her fiancée died in the Boer War. Little Tom, who desperately understands how poor they are and how much his mother struggles to keep them all alive and is trying to shoulder the burden of support in his own ways. And then there is the baker's strictly watched daughter Sally that has bleached her hair and is only 15 but looks like 18.
When it is announced that the Yanks are coming to take over the old RAF aerodrome, there are grumblings throughout the village. They are not welcome. Villagers fear that there will be nothing but trouble. And trouble is what arrives. The clashes are many. After all the yanks that arrive are just young "boys" and will behave as such. Many attempts are made to make peace between the two allies. Dances, socials...
We get to follow Lieutenant Ed Mochetti, Fighter Pilot, who finally manages to charm Agnes after completely charming her father, her kindergarten children, Tom and Tom's mother who finds a way to make a living by washing for the yanks. We also get to follow Sergeant Chester who falls for Sally only to have his heart broken when he asks her to marry him, thinking she is indeed 18 like she has told him. We get to follow Colonel Schrader that can not resist young Lady Beauchamp even though he has a wife and daughter in the US. And we get to follow Joe Bilsky, that becomes like a son to lonely Miss Cutteridge.
The title Our Yanks refers to what the little kindergarten children starts calling Ed Mochetti and later all the soldiers. It's a bittersweet story and I loved it. My only complaint is that it didn't last longer and that we only get to follow them till about January 1945 and I would have liked to have had a proper ending, closure of the war and who survives etc.
on 21 April 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! This is the second story by Ms. Mayhew that I've recently read, (Bluebirds was the first) and I found it to be a terrific story of life in WWII.It's amazing how the author can make us feel as if we know the characters!I have just been intoduced to Ms. Mayhew's work, and look forward to reading more! Thanks to Amazon for providing us "Yanks" with these wonderful English authors who aren't available here in the States.I highly recommend this author if you enjoy books which help us understand what it must have been like to live in England during WWII. Thank you Ms. Mayhew!!!
on 4 October 2001
If you are a fan of books set during World War 2, then Margaret Mayhew is the writer for you. Our Yanks, tells how the United States Air Force coming to a small British town,changes the lives all of its residents forever. Another great from Ms. Mayhew
on 18 August 2001
I enjoyed this book, more so that I enjoyed MM's previous novels, The Crew and Bluebirds, but there are other authors who I feel do a better job with WW2 stories of this kind, most notably Lilian Harry and Elizabeth Elgin. I don't find MM's characters as absorbing as the ones in their novels, there is not always as much depth of characterisation. However, there is nothing particularly offensive about this book. Reading this is a good way to spend a lazy Sunday.
on 3 November 2013
Condition was rated as "very good" but fell far short of this. Pages were grubby & creased. Cover was sticky and dog-eared with very creased spine. More accurate rating would be "acceptable" (just).
on 3 October 2015
As always with Margaret Mayhew books, this one hasn't failed to please. Her writing flows and, thankfully, there is no pretension (many writer's with little or no talent try to convince readers, by including a lot of pretentious rubbish with which they try to hide the fact that there is no viable plot). In this book, however, there is a strong, evocative plot backed by expert knowledge of the era and, most importantly fo me, it has a beginning, a middle and an end. In all, a great read and once I started reading I found it very difficult to put down.
on 26 September 2009
You live clossetted in a small sleepy village, unaffected by the war. Suddenly its on your doorstep, in the form of self-assured Americans "Yanks". Do you accept their intrusion? Or do you fight for normality? You're once safe home is now invaded. Will the village be torn by this rude intrusion or will it united in its acceptance of these visitors? As you go through each page you are struggling with these decisions, filled with mistrust and anxiety for the safety of the young in the village. What would you do?
on 4 September 2012
This is my favourite of all Mragaret Mayhew novels. I must have read it about 5 times now and can always find something new in it. The flying sequences seem to be very authentic, you can imagine what the crews of very young airman were feeling when
taking their aircraft on dangerous missions. The romances between the characters are very touching and believable.