5.0 out of 5 stars THE PENCHANT FOR EVIL WITHIN ALL OF US
THE EXORCIST, is more than just a "good, scary read." The superficial reader will only react to the physical effects of Reagan's possession. The reader who is more aware of his/her spiritual side will realize just how terrifying this story is. I have read THE EXORCIST several times, and I find myself discovering deeper levels of the theme in each reading...
Published on 10 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly unsettling... but the premise is weak
This was a good horror novel, I suppose. It built methodically to a very tense crescendo: the gruesome exorcism at the very end really will have you turning the pages faster and faster to find out what happens next.

But the story has some shortcomings, too - and they're big enough to tarnish the book overall, in my opinion. Here are some of the main ones...
Published on 5 Dec 2010 by Rusty

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 22 Oct 2011
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
Well as it is Halloween what better spooky book to read than the exorcist (I have the other 2 to read next). I loved the movie but have never read the book. I have mixed reviews about it to be honest. It started fairly slow and had I not seen the movie I may have gotten bored and been tempted to just pass over it I'm glad I didn't. Once things start happening it is interesting but not terrifying or gripping as I would have expected. To be honest some parts of it seemed pointless or just there for the sake of it. However once she started exhibiting extreme signs and the priest became envolved it did pick up. I loved Merrins interaction with "Regan" and the story was pretty good from there on it, however there also opened up annoyances. Without giving too much away I would have liked to have known Merrins past in relation to this book and the hints that were dropped by was left hanging.

I will read the next two and hope it will be revisited there or get some of the answers I am looking for. Not the easiest to read but not the most challenging either, some of it boring, some of it horrific and some exciting and annoying. Also I would personally recommend seeing the movie before reading the book as it might be more confusing if going into it blank. Definately worth a read although it wont be one of my keepers 3/5 for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exorcist book excels!, 18 Jan 2011
For anyone who love the film of the same name you will also love the book. Blatty is a superb author and the book is a must for all movie fans of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 20 Jan 2010
C. Morris "Carl" (UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
A superb novel.They just don't write them like they used to.Although i've seen the movie a few times i still couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, and paced much better than the film. 4.5 stars., 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
Some reviewers have commented negatively on the author's style, and to be fair it is a bit pulpy, but the novel entertained me so well that I am loath to deduct points for the raincoat-and-hat, black-sedan Noirisms that pepper the story.

The pace of the book is perfect - much better than the film, which paradoxically seems to drag on at the same time rushing through the narrative.

My only real criticism is that this edition (Corgi 2007) has obviously been prepared using an OCR scan, and not enough effort has been put into proofreading it, so there are frequent OCR-related mistakes, such as confususion between 'the' and 'to' or 'the' and 'he', commas and full points appearing in the wrong places (which rather upsets the sentence structure) and other bits and pieces. The book is still perfectly readable, and you might get through several pages without coming across any blemishes, but there are just enough of these errors to frustrate the careful reader. Casual readers probably won't notice at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invigorating, 10 Feb 2009
R. Thompson "Reads Too Much" (At home) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
This is a fantastic read!
If you enjoyed the film you will LOVE this book. It kept me turning pages, I just could not put it down.
The Crabwalk - Gah Sooo Scary!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY CHILLING, 19 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
I read this book 20 years ago - I was too young to go see the movie - while I should have been in school doing my O-levels. I still remember the feeling of terror I had then. I'm glad I did. Horror was my passion and this scared me for hours on end. It is the most amazing book with an excellent array of characters that do not appear in the film. I saw the film much later when video first came out and was disappointed that some of the book was missing. My mother was so scared of the whole thing she threw the book out but I was lucky enough to get another copy, that's how good it was.
I really must go there's a strange scratching noise upstairs!

5.0 out of 5 stars if you fail to be moved you're not human, 4 Sep 2001
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
Simply the scariest novel of all time. We feel empathy for the characters in this film and the book retains the feeling of the late 60's and early 70's with the feeling of no one being in control and no one offering a real solution a period that preceded REGANS America. The book for me is really about Father Karras and the almost primeval feel we have in wanting to keep our loved ones safe. We deal with an evil that predates Christs arrival one of cunning and dark humour. What strikes me is the opening sequence and how Father Merrin seems to now that his end is near and accepts his upcoming fate like Christ like Father Karras will. In many ways it reflects the opening sequence in ARTHUR C CLARKES 2001 and the black Monolith. I personally would have liked to see more back storybetween Mcneals servants and their Junkee daughter. somekind of reconcilation like the ending of BEN-HUR to go along with the Bogart ending. Some others can write many novels and never come across with the energy that Blatty has. In my estimation better than Stephen King and a novel that reflects the political and economic times it is set in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NOVEL THAT WILL TERRIFY WELL INTO THE NEXT MILLENIUM, 1 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
Many people forget that the film of the Exorcist came from William Peter Blatty's amazing book of possession. This book will chill you to the bone. The characters are so alive - you live and breathe the same air that they do. This is one of the many strong points of the book. The pace is unbelievable, a crescendo of terror that builds to a terrifying climax. This book is his finest work, but you must read Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane and Legion (sequel to The Exorcist). A wordsmith at the height of his craft, who clearly loves to write. No more so than with The Exorcist. Horror novels dont get any better than this. The film The Exorcist is good, the book is a masterpiece of terror.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for this genre., 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
This book is way above average for this particular genre.
The plot is tight and just dramatic enough to be interesting,without the over the top antics that often plague these type of books and make them laughable.
Sometimes the descriptive language was incongruous "reeking faintly"..."gliding spiderlike"..but all in all the author has it about right.
I found the priests constant doubt about the possession of Regan far more far fetched than the possession itself and was profoundly irritated by the Colomboesque detective.
I did enjoy this book however.It is most definitely a page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INCREDIBLE, PROFOUND INSIGHT INTO THE MISTERY OF FAITH., 8 April 2009
Latteo Daniel "TURTLE STANCE" (RIMINI, ITALY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Exorcist (Paperback)
AN AMAZING AND PROFOUND INSIGHT INTO THE MISTERY OF FAITH. TRULY A WORK OF ART, ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT OF OUR TIME. DAN

The Exorcist
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty (Paperback - 1 Oct 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01