5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't laughed so much in a long time.
Published on 11 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea
Published on 31 Mar 2006 by Mr. G. Battle

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't laughed so much in a long time., 11 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Inconceivable (Paperback)
I used to live in the UK and had heared Ben Elton on BBC, both TV and radio. I always wanted to read some of his books. So during my last visit to London I just grabbed it off the shelf in a bookshop without knowing anything about it, just that it was by Ben Elton. Over the Christmas season I had time to indulged. I read it in a very short time, it so gripped me. I laughed so much at times,I cried till my tummy hurt. The way he contrasts his and her feelings were just too real. I could identify, if not with the subject, but surely with the gender pictures he paints. Also his insight into 'the inner workings of the BBC, especially since 'outsourcing' has become common, is very well communicate. I learnd a lot about the subject of infertility and being entertained at the same time. The language of the story reminded me very much of my time in the UK and I can only recommend it if you need a good and hard laugh. As a result of reading this book I will buy some of his other books as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Baby - Definitely Excellent, 27 Aug 2005
Mr. D. Clark "londinius" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inconceivable (Mass Market Paperback)
"Inconceivable" is probably familiar to many readers through the film version , "Maybe Baby". Well, I haven't actually seen the film, so I came fresh to the novel, and I'm very glad that I did. This is just possibly my favourite of all Elton's novels.
There's no mystery, no murders in this one. Its an unashamedly sentimental story of a relationship between a husband and wife who, for reasons they nor anybody else are able to understand, seem unable to have a baby.
Sam and Lucy Bell are both media types. Sam is a commissioning editor for the BBC, while Lucy works as an assistant to a theatrical agent. The interesting premise behind the book is that one of the many people they have consulted about their problem has told them to try to get in touch with their feelings about the situation more by writing in a book about their feelings every day, but not to show it to the other. So throughout the novel you have the two viewpoints of each event, one in normal type, the other in italic. It's a good narrative device, and Elton exploits it richly for its comic value, and also for genuine pathos.
It's a book about love, and especially about betrayal, which takes surprising forms in the narrative. I did worry, as the end approached, that Elton might cop out. I'm glad to say that he didn't, and it's a highly satisfying read. But be warned- although very funny ( in places I laughed out loud ) its also very serious, and moving. A box of tissues should be kept on standby when you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, 8 Jan 2002
This review is from: Inconceivable (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have ever read simply because it made me laugh,cry and sent me on an emotional rollercoaster which most books simply cannot achieve. Certainly a book I'll be re-reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea, 31 Mar 2006
Mr. G. Battle (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inconceivable (Mass Market Paperback)
Ben Elton taps his personal career to produce a book centered around a couple working at the BBC. The entire book is formed from the couple's personal diaries, created to help then deal with the difficulty of getting pregnant. As per usual, the Elton brand of wit is sharp, rude and cutting edge, hitting on the taboo areas of our everyday lives most people don't feel comfortable talking about. It's interesting reading since Elton never hints at where he's leading you, or to about which subject he will open up like a can of worms next. The charactisation will make you ask questions of yourself as Elton is uncanny in his portrayal of human psychology and behaviour - it's very Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. So far, it's all good news. However, I did find that the actual flow of the book was somewhat impeded by the Diary Entry form of the book. Overall it's a good read; which is on-the-ball with cultural events and humour, but the format, although original, prevents real immersion and gets rather stale towards the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars de ja vu, 5 July 2000
This review is from: Inconceivable (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of Ben Elton's book, but this one stands out because it doesn't have the same sense of delivering a 'message'. Yes, relationships should be based on trust and communication, but luckily this comes over in a much more subtle way than the eco-themes of Stark, This Other Eden and Gridlocked, even Blast From The Past had the authority vs anti-authority themes associated with Ben's early stand-up days. For Inconceivable Ben's definitely grown up, his characters are a lot more sympathetic, and if it wasn't for the fact that he's always seemed to be able to 'get inside' a woman's head I'd be asking his wife where she kept her diary! The only problem I had was that a lot of the little scenes in the book I already knew off by heart from when the guested in his stand-up show, it threw me off track slightly to be reminded that Ben Elton the author is also Ben Elton the stand-up comic. But overall I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a laugh, but isn't afraid to think a bit too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and funny, 31 Dec 2000
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inconceivable (Mass Market Paperback)
I once tried to read a Ben Elton book and failed. I hated the fact that the characters just seemed to be vehicles for whichever political rant Elton chose to go off on at that point. In this book that ranting element is still there but toned down by a much needed sense of humanity and a real feeling for human frailty. I think part of the reason I enjoyed it was that the subject matter was very close to my heart and I know how real some of Lucy and Sam's feelings were. I thought Lucy's voice was very good and was impressed that the whole book didn't come across as blokey, although it was interesting to hear Sam's story too. There were also a few really funny moments, where I actually laughed out loud, much to my amazement.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read for ages, 10 Oct 2001
This review is from: Inconceivable (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't particularly care for Ben Elton as a comic and I would probably not have purchased any of his books. But when my son spent the first 2 days of his holiday engrossed in "Inconceivable", I decided to give it a go. What a revelation - I disturbed everyone round the poolside as I shreiked with laughter (the squirrel scene was a particular triumph) but this was balanced by Elton's real insights into the darker side of IVF. I would never have imagined that he could be so perceptive.
A great book - I am recommending it to all my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elton excells to Inconceivable heights, 1 Nov 2000
This review is from: Inconceivable (Mass Market Paperback)
IVF treatment is seemingly not comedy fodder. However the now seasoned novelist Ben Elton tackles a sensitive subject in a witty and moving manner. Inconceivable sees Elton display a more touching side to his often biting style of comedy. His latest effort follows a married couple desperate for success- Lucy with a baby and Sam, a film script. Written in diary form throughout, often the entries further display the many gender differences, giving contrasting perspectives of similiar situations.
Etched with IVF related gags- namely the problems of conception and Sams sperm bank escapades, Inconceivable tells the emotional rollercoster that is IVF in a very humourous, yet considerate manner. The book became a film as Elton also directed the movie version; Maybe Baby but it is in written form that Elton enthralls and entertains. Once more his stand-up transfers to the page with considerable ease. Inconceivable is a page turning, heart rending read, with a good balance of comic and tragic moments.
Review by Mark Stanford

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!! A must for those trying for a baby!!!, 13 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Inconceivable (Hardcover)
I was a little concerned with what exactly this book would include, myself and my husband are currently undergoing fertility treatment, and having suffered many mixed emotions much like the characters in the book, could not see any way that this topic could be conveyed in a light hearted manner. WRONG!!!!! This book is a must if you are currently trying for a baby, or have been trying for a baby with or without success. It is funny, and very down to earth. I was laughing out loud, especially when the female character managed to scold herself by trying to drink a cup of tea whilst raising her hips with numerous pillows, after the carefully calculated monthly performance. There are so many funny bits, a must for both parents to be!!! ENJOY

5.0 out of 5 stars How could a male write from a woman's perspective so well?, 21 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Inconceivable (Hardcover)
Outrageously funny! I just can't figure out how Elton managed to write the woman's parts so well?! I loved the bit where the guy (sort of) said "well, we've had a full and frank discussion and I really think we understand each other's perspectives now", contrasted with his wife's "as usual, he didn't have a bloody clue what I was talking about and was far more interested in the football" (or words along those lines). Even if you have no experience of infertility, it's a jolly good read. On second thoughts, it's even more important to read if you have no experience of infertility - one couldn't help but understand the trials and tribulations of the procedures etc. that so many seem to find necessary these days.

Inconceivable
Inconceivable by Ben Elton (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jun 2000)