Format: PaperbackChange

on 2 April 2005
What can i say about Waylander the slayer, he really makes the reader feel alive. This has got to be one of Mr. Gemmels best series. I just wish there could have been more...
When i first heard about a third book i was exstatic, and after reading it i loved every page.
Waylander almost makes you believe that anything is possible and that no obstacle is ever too big.
In this book Waylander tries once again to live the quiet life, but once again is drawn back into what he does best.
There is so much that i want to say but unfortunately that would give away so much of the plot.
Matze Chai makes a welcome come back and is joined by new characters.
If you havent read any of his books this series would be a great start.
on 9 June 2011
Ever since reading David Gemmell's 'Troy' series of books I have been hooked on Gemmell as an author. I have since begun to read all of his books and the Drenai books are simply wonderful reads.

I was originally unsure about whether to read the Drenai books as I've never been a huge fan of heroic fantasy - however given just how much I enjoyed the Troy books and the wonderful writing style of David Genmmell I decided to try them. I am so pleased that I did and I have now read nearly all of Gemmell's books and urge anyone considering the books to do it, you will not be disappointed.

All of the books are great and can be read as stand alone books or in order. The characters are wonderfully bought to life, there's love, romance, humour, twists & turns, betrayal, revenge, heroes, villains, sorcery, savagery, battles, noble deeds and you will simply fall into the world the Gemmell creates for you. These books deserve to be read and its a an absolute tragedy that Gemmell is no longer with us.
VINE VOICEon 18 May 2008
Waylander is without any doubt one of the most fascinating anti-heroes ever created. Previous books follow the path from his creation as an assassin and his journey to achieve redemption with expert character development from Gemmell. In the final volume Waylander is set to journey across the sea in a final attempt to be alone and contemplate life; for he is old now, grey and ready to receive the Source. Gemmell has other plans for Waylander. Following on from the demon story created in a previous Drenai novel, Winter Warriors, Hero in the Shadows once more plunges heroes against magic, although Gemmell has crafted this tale with it's roots firmly in action and development of the new heroes, who fight alongside Waylander. The magic used here is insidious and the the body count just keeps rising! There are strong emotional currents throughout and Gemmell weaves action, tension, mystery, sorcery and the pull of emotions most expertly - Hero in the Shadows is a sublime read. The dialogue is Gemmell's sharpest too, with many wry smiles to be had with Waylander's dark retorts. Recommended to any fantasy reader, although previous Drenai novels (especially the Waylander ones and Winter Warriors) would create a perfect backdrop.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is the third book set around David Gemmell's anti hero Waylander as well as the third book chronologically in the Drenai saga timeline, if not the order he originally wrote them in.

Ever since I was a teenager Gemmell has been my favorite author, no one before or since has written such superb heroes, such unique and powerful characters to me. The instant I start a Gemmell book, even one i've read many times I struggle to put it down and Hero in the Shadows is no different.

Waylander has retired trying to hide from his past and a forgivness he can never give himself ultimately gets dragged into events only he can resolve. Featuring epic battles, demons, magic and a wonderful cast of characters this is a must read for any fan of heroic fantasy.

+ Waylander is just an awesome character.
+ Great cast of characters.
+ Great fights and scenes.
+ Just can't put it down.
on 5 June 2000
Reading this book made me want to read Waylander and Waylander 2 again. The story line makes you feel very emotionally involved in the book - If you don't laugh, cry and flip the pages like a maniac in an effort to read faster then there's definately something wrong with you! Once again David Gemmell has given us a totally enthralling novel to fuel our imagination. ENJOY!
on 9 February 2014
I couldn't put this fantasy novel down when I got into it and was sad it was over when I had finished it. Set in a medieval world, it tells the latest tale (it is part three of a trilogy) of bad guy turned good guy and lethal killer who can kill anything (even demons) Waylander (now known as the Grey Man) and his banding together with other heroes to battle the evil sorcerers and demonic minions that come through a portal from another dimension to Waylander's world (a sort of fictional Earth) seeking to take it over. After his stately home is attacked Waylander joins forces with a mighty swordsman called Kysumu, a lowly ditch digger called Yu Yu and a psychic priestess called Ustarte (who is a meld of man and beast) to battle the evil supernatural forces that have entered the world. Together they must drive the forces of evil back and Waylander must kill a very evil and very powerful sorcerer who cannot die. An excellent fantasy novel with a wonderfully realised fantasy world, great attention to detail, memorable three dimensional heroes that I came to care about, formidable opponents for the book's heroes (who were as interesting and complex as the novel's heroes), good supporting characters, horrifying supernatural creatures that gave me a good scare, a great back story that gave the book added depth and poignant scenes that almost moved me to tears. This book just got better and better as it went on. With themes of good versus evil, the misuse of magic, heroic sacrifice, destiny and redemption, this was an excellent (if not perfect) read and I look forward to reading more David Gemmell fantasy literature.
on 29 January 2001
A fine addition to the Waylander books. Impossible to put down once you've opened it as are all Gemmell books. I really enjoy the speed with which Gemmell enables you to understand the characters involved. Although Waylander is older he is still deadly and if you read this, you will definetly read the previous two waylander books.
on 9 November 2000
Cant say I have read many Gemmel Books, but this one made me go back and buy the entire Waylander series. Kinda like watching the Return on the Jedi, only to go back and watch the first two starwars episodes afterwards. Ending was intense, hit me for about two days after I finished reading it - well worth the money paid
on 11 May 2000
Another masterful book from the only author I have ever read who has inspired me to try day by day to become the person I know I should be. I took away from 'Hero in the shadows'(as I have from all of Gemmell's works) a renewed sense of worth. I have never read another writer who knows what it is to try and be an admirable person in a hard yet beautiful world. Sorry if all that sounds poncey but it's true. The book is at turns heart rending, soul lifting and blood fastening. Waylander leaves us in a tragic yet fitting and fulfilling way. The new characters (Yu Yu especially) are as real as ever and whilst some parts of the book could maybe have been fleshed out a bit (the men of clay didn't have much to make us care about them) the rest more than made up for it. Anyway, all I want to say is that I recommend this to anyone. Keep it up David.
on 9 January 2014
I have read around 8 of David Gemmell's books and they hardly ever disappoint. This one however tops the rest by a long way. I could not put it down. It's set in the later days of our hero Waylander ,as he lives out his year's in relative peace. But as it is with Waylander adventure and action isn't ever far away. This really is amazing in so many ways. The pace of the story never lets up and just keeps you captivated. It flows perfectly in the same vain as its predecessors and follows the story on seamlessly. Waylander has to be my favourite Gemmell character and to me this was the best out of the 3 books that have been written with him in. If your a fan of great fantasy,this is definitely going to be right up your street. Highly recommended and the first novel ive read on my kindle. AMAZING. Read it!