Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 February 2007
This fourth in the series of Discworld Mapps [sic] is a pleasant but rather slight affair. As usual there is a small background booklet by Pratchett which contains a few amusing details concerning Death's fascination but complete inability to actually 'get' human beings and their pastimes. The large fold out map of Death's house and garden is a nice picture, but ultimately compltely pointless as a map, and due to the nature of the location rather monotone in it's colour scheme. Ultimately a pleasant enough spin-off but a rather pricey one - just be aware that unless you are perhaps planning on detaching the map for use as a poster this book will provide you with no more than half an hours entertainment...
on 10 April 2000
This book/map, which is the fourth map from the Pratchett multiverse, is for the avid reader who has all the books by Terry Pratchett and is desperate enough for more material ... The writing is excellent, as always, but there are only 23 (quick count) pages of it. The rest of the product (except for the title pages etc.) consists of a large map following the same standard as the three other maps. The problem with it is that it doesn't enhance the reading of the novels in any way at all. The first two maps, Ankh-Morpork and, to a lesser degree, Discworld, added to the fun by letting the reader follow the protagonists' journeys while reading the novels. This map from the domain of one of Discworld's most amusing and easiest recognizable characters does no such thing. It is nice-looking but nothing more. It doesn't really tell me anything more about Discworld than that the author has no intention to starve.
What I really would wish is a collection of the text-bits from the maps together with Terry's excellent short stories in one book. That way we could avoid all the empty filling.
Ok, here's the full quote, taken from the book:
Death: "THERE ARE BETTER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN ALCOHOL, ALBERT"
Albert: "Oh, yes, sir. But alcohol sort of compensates for not getting them."
on 24 August 2004
It's pretty good. I mean, Kidby's a brilliant artist, and getting the all-the-colours-of-black colour scheme to work at all should have earned him a medal of some sort.
I agree with others that maybe it's lacking a bit in actual information. But since *all* the rooms in the house are infinite, I can't imagine how a floor plan would work. Much like the map in A Tourist's Guide to Lancre, this is just for looking at and marveling. Every time I look at it I notice something else.
And yeah, maybe it doesn't look exactly the way I visualised the Domain either, but Terry had final say on this, and wrote the acompanying booklet, so I'm prepared to accept that he knows what it looks like better than I do 8-).
The booklet... well, okay, it doesn't really tell us anything about Death we don't already know. But the description of why his house looks like it does, or his attempts to understand mazes or golf, give a better insight into what we already know, I think.
Basically, not the best Practchett's ever written, but still better than most of the stuff out there and linked to possibly one of the best Kidby's ever painted.
I agree with Josh's comment, i think that this has not paid so much clear attention to the authors books and have just made something that would sell well beacause people 'collect'. Having said this it is still a good addition to my wall. I reccomend it to any discworld-o-holic.
on 14 August 2000
Well, it's a pretty map(p), and the accompanying words are witty as ever, but at the price I do feel short-changed. Need more words (in a smaller font, so as not to fill space so much), or perhaps it could have included a floor plan of the house, better still both.
Have a look at someone else's and save your money.
on 6 November 2005
Death decided that he needed a place to live, so Death's Domain was born, just nobody is exactly sure precisely where it is. "Death, significantly, does not see many crypts or coffins. Most peole die at home, or at sea, or at least out in the fresh air." So therefore there isn't anything terribly gothic or spooky about the house--except that everything is in various shades of the colour black.
In the tradition of previous Discworld Mapps this volume contains a large map and a booklet. I honestly found the booklet and the border illustrations the best.
I really like Kidby's illustrations of Death and his associates so that is quite enjoyable. Not only are we treated to Death, Susan, and Albert but we see Death of Rats peeking over an edge and his raven in the midst of black roses. And don't forget Binky!
The booklet was also quite illuminating, especially the discussions between Albert and Death concerning the golf course and the maze. The character of Death as portrayed by Pratchett has long fascinated me (it is nice to see him in every book) and it is fun to see more of him than before.
However, we don't actually see the inside of the house (since it is larger on the inside than the outside). Also, somewhat disappointingly some of the details were too small to properly make out. I would have really enjoyed seeing the tree swing that Death made for Susan, but it is far too small to see anything clearly.
Finally I would encourage casual fans to not pick up this volume unless they're really fascinated by Death. Yes it is interesting (and vital to the diehard fan), but it doesn't add too much to the books and doesn't make much sense just on its own.
on 29 April 1999
Deaths Domain - a nice map, if a little lacking in sharp detail. The accompanying booklet, however, is very nice indeed. Strictly for Pratchett fans, IMO, but better perhaps than the Map of Lancre previously released.
on 8 July 2014
A map of Ankh-Morpork is essential. A map of Discworld is an excellent idea. A map of Lancre is interesting. A map of Death's Domain seems pointless, but still a must for any Terry Pratchett Discworld fan!
on 24 August 2013
I thought this product was ok. A bit expensive for what you get. It was a present for my daughter who is a fan of Terry's books; I expected it to bit slightly more impressive.
on 31 May 1999
Let's get the bad news out of the way. This is the weakest of the four maps so far. Not that I'm knocking it; it's good. But... The black on black colour scheme freaks me out. Remember that scene in 'the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy'-or, more precisely, 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe'- when Zaphod comments of the colour scheme in the ship he's stolen? After the bit in Milliways itself? Well, this map gave me flashbacks of that. The booklet is nice, I'll admit; not the best, by any cry, but still nice. The one thing I have to moan about is that the map shows something entirely different from my own mental image of Death's house. I expected something more cottage-like; the map seems to show a mansion. I imagined fairly small grounds, the map goes and slaps down great big acres of the flippin' things. The maze, the golf course, the rockery; basically, they were all just thrown in so they could actually make a map out of it. It's unfortunate that this contravines what I see in my minds eye, but as far as the publishers are concerned, that's business. I don't know if I'm alone in this view, but that's just my personal opinion. Still. An interesting addition, but not what I had hoped. For true Pratchett fans (i.e. residents of alf.fan.pratchett) only.