• Class

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2012
This is an old book from the 70s, so it's a little dated, and not always politically correct, but still surprisingly accurate in its depiction of class stereotypes in British society. In fact it's one of the few popular studies of the subject of class that I've come across. Anyone who's curious about the British class system, or who just wants a good laugh could do a lot worse than give this book a go.
on 25 January 2013
Jilly has that wonderful asset in that she is observant - the English class system here is humour personified with all it's absurdities. You are given magical insights into how the different strata of English/British tend to view each other. It is a subject that lends itself to being sent up, which the author does with aplomb. If you want a belly laugh......... read this.
on 13 April 2005
This book was written in pre-Thatcher times but is still a great read. What would Jilly make of the British class system now? I suspect that despite all the surface changes, celebrity culture and apparent social mobility the class system is still much the same as it was when Jilly chronicled it in the 1970s.
Class is a must for any Jilly fan, she makes constant reference to the foibles of class throughout her brilliant Rutshire Chronicles. For example, in the book Riders, superstud aristocad Rupert Campbell-Black smothers his posh fish dish in tomato ketchup before digging into it to the horror of everyone else. He also has a penchant for white sliced pan (supposedly very working-class but also great comfort food for public schoolboys) and in the book Rivals gets a white sliced pan for Christmas from a nouveau-riche friend with working-class roots. Meanwhile the middle classes pick crusty bread daintily out of baskets.
Out of all the characters in Class I liked Snipe the labrador and Mr Definitely-Disgusting best. Buy this book, read it (you won't look up once until it's finished) and if you have any of the Rutshire Chronicles read them again. It will make them even more enjoyable!
on 11 May 2014
Today this would probably be looked upon with loathing from certain quarters; but as I grew up in the Britain of the 1970's and 80's then I can relate to this. Cooper is right on the button, with candid, terrifyingly astute observations and the wicked wit which has made her such a success. Fun and completely 'politically incorrect' by today's socially- terrorized, pasteurized U.K. standards.
When I first read this book, I really didn't like it. I thought it was quite insulting really, and was surprised that I felt that way, as I usually love Jilly Cooper's work. However, when
I read it again without my working class chip on my shoulder, then I really enjoyed it, and found it very funny. The trick is to realise that it is a humourous work, and not to take it seriously. It pokes gentle fun at all the so-called classes, and no one comes out of it smelling of roses! It is a clever book, I think, and one that I have since read many times. Read it with an open mind, and you'll laugh out loud, I promise!!
on 13 January 2010
Although "Class" is not up to date anymore (it was first published in the late seventies), it is still a great read: witty, sarcastic, very funny - and very true! I already knew an abridged version from an old audiobook (tape), read by a great Penelope Keith (it is really worth while digging out your old cassette recorder to listen to that!) and was pleased to find plenty more accurate descriptions and malicious remarks about class in Britain in the book. Full marks!!!
on 5 July 2013
Jilly Cooper's book, Class is a great read and very well written. So humorous too in her descriptions of the different classes..
on 9 March 2011
I have only given this book 3 stars as I was disappointed overall, it starts at a cracking pace (no pun intended) with lots of belly laughs and a smile on my face through the first third or so but then due to the age of the book it begins to feel outdated and I lost interest. Another reviewer says it was better at 2nd reading, if [I] do I will review again.
on 24 September 2014
I read this years ago and despite a few inappropriate 1970's comments it is still very funny
on 10 October 2015
I first read this years ago, probably about 20 and was so cross the other day when i could not find my original hard back copy having leant it to somebody who failed to return it. It was only discussions in the office that prompted me to order it again to refresh myself with a second dose of Jilly Cooper.