Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Fire Shop Now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 February 2001
With Skies of Pern, Anne McCaffrey pushes into uncharted depths of her world's history, providing a long awaited sequel to Dolphins of Pern. For those people who have not yet met Pern, Skies of Pern is the 16th in a series about a planet where dragons are an important part of human society. For fans who have long since fallen in love with the world, Skies of Pern has a lot to live up to. Happily, it does so.
Set several turns after the events of previous books, the main character is F'lessan, who has featured frequently in earlier books, along with a new face, greenrider Tai. Both can hold their own in the vast array of characters who have featured on Pern, but even more of a treat for me, was revisiting characters we've met before. There's a lot of nostalgia here for fans: watch out for names featured in previous books--in and around the plot, Anne reveals the fates of more than a few loved and unloved inhabitants of Pern.
Those longing to learn how Pern itself has advanced since we last saw it won't be disappointed either: female greenriders have become more common and almost every rider is focusing on what they will do after this last pass is over. Moreover, Pern's technology is increasing, something that isn't being taken well by everyone: a new wave of Abominators has arisen to threaten what advances Pern has made. I sometimes feel like a closet-abominator myself, begrudging 'gadgets' on the agrarian world of Pern, but fortunately Anne seems to have no intention of making it just another hi-tech science-fiction series.
And for those who simply want another good read, this is one of the most action-packed Pern stories for a long time. As well as violence from the abominators, there's a natural disaster as evinced by the cover, and that's still not the most harrowing part of the book! I won't spoil it, but make sure you have the hankies nearby for the last quarter.
Let-downs? As a purist, I'm uncertain about the new ability which manifests itself in the dragons. After so many books, I can't help but feel that the dragons are as they are and that's how I like them--is this extra power really necessary? The ending too, seems a little abrupt and not quite as definitive as I'd like. Fortunately, Anne has left enough loose ends for us to be sure that a 17th book is on the cards.
Perhaps the greatest problem with the book is that it cannot really stand alone. It is very much part of a series, and even a Pern fan should read All the Weyrs of Pern first if they want to appreciate this one fully. Those who have not yet met Pern, will most likely find themselves confused. Still, this is one of those books that is worth reading an entire series for.
on 28 October 2001
The Pern series always manage to transport me away from the humdrum of life into its beautiful and magical world. I savour these books. I keep them on the shelf waiting to be read so that I can properly enjoy the anticipation. I try to wait for a particularly dull or hard section of daily struggle to arrive before giving myself this wonderful treat.
I started reading about this world some twenty years ago with Menolly the girl who could hear fire lizards and have never been disappointed. This follows on the glorious story.
Like all the other Pern books this submerges the reader into that survival-tec world of Pern within a few pages. Its like taking a refreshing holiday whilst tickling your puzzle cells to guess which 21st century (or beyond) piece of technology or know-how is going to be discovered again by the Pernese.
The tension point in this book is the question of what exactly the dragon riders are going to do as a livelihood once thread has vanished forever. This is nicely drawn out until about two thirds of the way through and only really confirmed within the last few pages.
There is the usual plotting by the baddies and the inappropriate or reluctant love story.
on 4 September 2001
Not the strongest book in this long saga, possibly because having previously engineered the future demise of the 'Thread' threat, a major plank of the whole series plot has been removed. This story continues the softer, less saga-like background tone of recent books and once again neatly manages to focus on a minor character from previous stories whilst keeping the major players in the story line.
I enjoyed it, but I always enjoy McCaffrey's stories especially when they concern familiar places and characters. A must-read for fans - not a good place to start.
I suspect a further volume is in the works, too many lose ends and a need to address the unsatisfactory plot developments for it to end here - I hope.
on 15 February 2001
Anne McCaffrey did it again! With Skies of Pern the Dragonlady takes us back yet again to her -and our- beloved Pern. And those who think Pern, with the end of Thread near, not interesting enough for yet another magnificent story: think again! This volume brings us news about what many dragonriders will be doing in the coming centuries under Threadfree skies. I enjoyed Skies of Pern immensely. Not only because it meant another book about Pern and its inhabitants but also because it seems that the author takes at heart what her fans say and, more importantly, want to know about the world we are so interested in. This book will provide many an answer on questions raised by Pern fans in the last decade (or two). The story again is one of sometimes epic proportions with enough McCaffrey humour put in to balance the heroic deeds of dragonriders and other Pernese. A recommended read for not only the McCaffrey fan but for any science fiction reader.
on 22 June 2001
I have read nearly all of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, and this is the book that I enjoyed the most. Although there is not much mention of Thread, there is plenty of action to be had, and a new draconic ability to be mastered. Not only this, but the dragonriders find the perfect occupation for themselves for when this last Pass is over. We really get to know F'lessan in this book, which is nice because he has only been briefly talked about before and it is good to know more about the Weyrleaders only child. A disaster strikes Pern which brought most people closer together and made them look to the future, but the Abominators have something to say about this and do their best to destroy all of the new technology that Aivas had given Pern access to. A must-read for anyone who likes Anne McCaffrey's books, but do make sure you know the story of 9th Pass Pern first or you may be confused. I and other avid Pern readers can't wait for her next Dragonrider book as there are some loose ends that we need tied up.
on 5 February 2001
Brilliant. I just received skies of pern and read it in two days. I love the way Anne McCaffrey writes all her books but the pern series is my favourite. This is the story of F'lessan and the future of pern's dragonriders. Unlike the other pern books this one does not concern thread as much as it concentrates on what people will do in the future when thread finally ends. If you are already a pern fan you don't need me to recommend this book you'll already be on your way to buying it. If you've never read an Anne McCaffrey book I would suggest starting with the early ones to get the storyline but this book will still stand on its own. I really, really enjoyed this book. Here's to many more in the series.
on 8 September 2001
While my head half agrees with the reviewer from Kent, This is still a wonderfully interesting read! Anne McCaffrey still charms the fans of Pern, and it is a way to tie up the questions of just what the dragonriders are to do once the thread stops falling. There is another interesting development in the capabilities of dragons and a good old love story interwoven that made me sniff! Thanks miss McCaffrey
on 9 February 2001
Anne McCaffrey has out-done herself yet again. Skies of Pern is wonderfuly complex and has characters you love within the first 25 pages. It is a slight departure from the "tone" of the rest of the Pern series, IMO, but the ending of the Thread Era on Pern makes this necessary. Like others have said, knowledge of the Pern series is a big help for this book, so if you haven't read them go do it now! :)
on 6 December 2003
I have really enjoyed the Pern books over the years. However, more and more I have felt that Anne McCaffrey has been writing herself into a corner.
This book is the culmination of that process as well as being very messy in its construction. I think she implies this herself in the acknowledgements when she says "I owe a particular debt to Georgeanne Kennedy who urged me to keep to the 'real' storyline when I had a tendency to go off on tangents ....". Basically, I think Georgeanne didn't do such a good job!
I also found the interactions between the characters to be very dull. I don't know why this was because in the past this was one of the strengths of Anne McCaffrey's writing.
Finally, (even though this is SF!), I found the 'answer' to the future dragonrider profession, once thread disappears, to be highly problematic. After all, how many times is Pern going to be hit by meteor strikes?
on 8 February 2001
Another year, another superfluous addition to the Dragonriders of Pern series. I can't help but think that Anne would have been best off quitting several books back, before she started to seriously compromise the Pern that I (and likely many others) first fell in love with. By this, of course, I mean the abrupt return to 'true' sci-fi from what had been a very comfortable quasi-fantasy. Somehow the idea of printed newspapers becoming prevalent where once Harpers spread the news is disturbing - and that's only one of the uncomfortable modernistic twists taken by the people and creatures of Skies of Pern. The Abominators make some valid points.
The romantic lead/action hero pairing of F'lessan and Tai feels souless: F'lessan unappealling from the outset (remember how in The White Dragon he never took anything seriously but Golanth? Why then the Wingleader rank for a Benden rider who mostly lives at Honshu but flies Thread over the Southern Weyrs? Isn't that disruptive to his riders?), and Tai yet another needy female made complete only by her perfect man (can we say Lessa/Brekke/Menolly?). Even the endearing dragon-human relationships that lie at the centre of the appeal of Pern feel lack-lustre, and little more than a passing nod is given to the revolutionary new frequency of females Impressing green dragons.
The new threat feels deeply contrived (a definite 'I got rid of my ultimate enemy [Thread] what do I do now?), and Thread itself seems to have become almost completely incidental (doesn't anyone die in Fall anymore?). Perhaps most unforgivable is the manifestation of the dragons' new ability - which isn't a new ability at all, but one they probably had all along (because Aivas said so) but never noticed till now - and a green was the first to discover it? What happened to greens being thick? After fifteen books and over 2,000 Turns of precedent, Anne is asking us to swallow an awful lot.
The Skies Of Pern is another gratuitous they'll-buy-it-if-I-write-it novel in a series that should probably have quit while it was ahead. I think we're all coming to expect that these days. But the really unforgivable crime is that it reads like a piece of fan-fiction rather than the work of the original author. And, indeed, I've read superior works of Pern fiction in the Internet's many online Weyrs than I found within the covers of this half-hearted and formulaic continuation of the series I once loved.