5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best
I really enjoyed this book and as a pratchett fan I feel that it is definatly one of his best. Vlad the Vampire is a fantastic character, intriguing, dangerous and (this isn't just my opinion, Terry Pratchett himself said in reply to a letter I wrote that it was intentional) very Sexy. I also felt that Agnes was an asset to the book as I was able to relate to her...
Published on 11 Feb 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Tale Of Witches, Vampires, and Small Blue Men
Carpe Jugulum is the twenty-third book in the Discworld series of Terry Pratchett novels. Like many of his works Carpe Jugulum is no exception, providing a adventurous and exciting read from cover to cover.
The story begins in the Ramtops with our old friends the Witches and a new addition to the gang, Perdita. The storyline continues the saga of the Witches from...
Published on 18 Jan 1999

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, if not hilarious, 16 April 2000
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
A curious beast, this one. I enjoyed it, but more for the plot than the jokes. It's interesting that Granny Weatherwax, who started out as a subversion of the traditional image of witches, now, in this book, subverts expectations of she's going to act (you'll see what I mean...). Maybe that suggests it's time for some new characters. Anyway, this is still a Terry Pratchett, so you've got to read it, haven't you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, but very good, 11 Nov 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
This novel of the Diskworld is not Pratchett's best, but it is still very good comparitavely. I have enjoyed Pratchett's work for many years now, and have reread a number of his works in the recent past. It was not until I visited England that I was able to compleate my collection, but I was glad to do so. Carpe Juguluum was a very good read, and a real joy to have. Thank you Pratchett.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carpe Jugulum, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
I've nearly read all of the Discworld novels and this is one of the best, Has a Granny and Nanny fan, I really got worry about Granny on this one! as not all witches are bad, just misunderstood, helpful, earthy and clever, and then there's Nanny with her brood of Oggs and not forgetting the Nac Mac Feegles, and Igor, really good read I know I will read this again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as a gift, 31 Jan 2012
My son likes to listen to audio books on his daily car journey to work. Terry Pratchet is high on his list of favourite authors (as indeed he is on mine (though I prefer the written word) and my son tells me this gift has met all of his (very high) expectations

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to his best, 17 Jan 2000
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
I am a big Pratchett fan, but this book just didn't do it for me (to tell the truth the last one (Last Continent) didn't either, I'm getting a little worried that the magic is dying). I love the Discworld stories, but this book just didn't fire my imagination, I didn't feel captivated to continue to read without stopping. Although there were some funny bits it wasn't anywhere near the usual standard, I didn't particularly find the vampires interesting either, although I did like Igor. The plot didn't captivate me and the writing wasn't excellent. Having said all these negative things it is still a fairly good book, it's just that it's not as good as I had come to expect from Pratchett.
I would advise that you don't bother reading this one until you've run out of the earlier books to read, or even re-read. Read Guards Guards or Pyramids or something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not super., 25 Jun 2000
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
I've read almost all TP's book and this was one of the ok ones. Good story line. I wish it had had a more dramatic ending though... Oh, well. It helped me with a philosophy project!

4.0 out of 5 stars the best Pratchett book I've read, 25 Aug 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and thought that it was almost as good as MORT. There are several hilarious parts and you see a different side to Granny Weatherwax

3.0 out of 5 stars arrrrgh,vampyres, 28 Feb 2000
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
but fear not,mistress weatherwaxe is on the way,with plenty of the good old witchcraft,of course,theres oats,with plenty of stacks.
anges is in two minds, so am i on this masterpeice

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 Oct 2014
Ditto

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the better ones, 3 Jan 2000
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
A bit of an anti-climax a the end. I was excpecting the normal magnificient battle, and granny weatherwax nearly dying and the vampires never giving in until the very end.but instead the vampires can't od anything and are controlled by granny and get killed by the wasty priest. The book was alot deeper than the rest though. with the good and the evil stuff. and the religion stuff wasvery good.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23
Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 1 Nov 1999)