5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best
Published on 11 Feb 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Tale Of Witches, Vampires, and Small Blue Men
Carpe Jugulum is the twenty-third book in the Discworld series of Terry Pratchett novels. Like many of his works Carpe Jugulum is no exception, providing a adventurous and exciting read from cover to cover.
Published on 18 Jan 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 11 Feb 2000
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book and as a pratchett fan I feel that it is definatly one of his best. Vlad the Vampire is a fantastic character, intriguing, dangerous and (this isn't just my opinion, Terry Pratchett himself said in reply to a letter I wrote that it was intentional) very Sexy. I also felt that Agnes was an asset to the book as I was able to relate to her. Although I'm not overly keen on the witches as characters I think this book was brilliant. My only criticism would be that there isn't enough appearances by Death. I feel that I could (in fact will) read it over and over again. I just hope that the next books to appear live up to this standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and frolics in little old Lancre...., 1 Mar 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum (Hardcover)
It seems that some things never change. Ever since I read mort for the first time about eleven years ago I have been hooked on the discworld, and in the meantime everyone else has gone there too. Anyway, Carpe Jugulum is , to my mind, just as worthwhile as any of the discworld novewls. It may be a basic re-hash of the Lords and Ladies plot but that does not in any way spoil the enjoyment of the reader. It took me three hours to read this book and I barely noticed the time pass. I was captivated to find out what was happening to Granny Weatherwax, and why she was not sprouting fangs and good manners, and it was also most amusing to see how the poor Mr Oats tackled his crisis of faith in Lancre, especially as we all know the truth about Omnism .. or should do if you have read Small Gods..... Anyway, another disc classic, enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett at it again with the wiches from Lancre, 1 Jan 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum (Hardcover)
I have read most of Pratchett's books and as usual this is no exception to the rest. Funny, witty,imaginative and utterly enthralling are just few of the words I would use to describe the book. In particular the witches are at their best all three of them(four if you count perditta), in particular Nanny Ogg who we see more of than anyone would care to see. Greebo the cat takes a back seat in this story which is a bit of a disappointment. The vampires are charming yet ruthless and Granny Weatherwax is at her best when she is cornered. There are some brillant lines in this book including the one where the villager, when asked about the problem of werewolves says "they leave us alone as humans don't run fast enough to be interesting". All in all a brillant read and well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever and witty new look at the old vampire cliches., 13 Nov 2003
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
THE STORY:
A family of forward-thinking vampires, immune to all the traditional vampire killing methods (except cutting their heads off, which does in most people), has decided to take control of Lancre. The only thing standing in their way is a doubting (doubtful?) priest and the country's resident witches. But the strongest of them, Granny Weatherwax, cannot decide whether she should get involved at all.
WHAT'S GOOD:
Now, I can't claim to be a Pratchett fan, but as the saying goes 'I knows what I likes...'. This book is both funny and clever on many levels, be it in regards to the vampires, whose immunity stems from overcoming the social conditioning that makes them believe they'll burst into flame when the sun rises, or the contradictions of the Omnian faith, which is very thinly veiled satire of the christian church. But this book isn't simply a satire of religion and fokelore, it has a very strong core story that is, in fact, just about Granny Weatherwax's internal conflict about her own darkness and her relationships with others. Death makes a few, very welcome, cameo appearances along the way to lighten the mood too (I just realised how bizarre that sentence sounds!). Ultimately though, my favourite element was none other than those boozing, brawling Wee Free Men, the Nac mac Feegle. You've got to love a tiny blue smurf-like race whose three main pursuits are drinking, fighting "An' snafflin' coobeastie!".
WHAT'S BAD:
Igor's lisping speech and it's onamatapeic (forgive me if I've mispelled that last one - I just wrote it how it sounds!) spelling left me thinking and reading all 's' words with a lisp sound, which really pithed me off! Also, at times I found Agnes' character to be annoying and a bit pointless. Other than those small factors, not much else.
Satirical fantasy with a core of character self-discovery. Brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Tale Of Witches, Vampires, and Small Blue Men, 18 Jan 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum (Hardcover)
The story begins in the Ramtops with our old friends the Witches and a new addition to the gang, Perdita. The storyline continues the saga of the Witches from the previous Witches books, which seem to follow, more or less, a kind of chronological order. This is why it is recommended that the other books are read first. The other books give the reader an introduction to the existing characters and a feel for the Lancre atmosphere. The previous books include the titles, Equal Rites, Witches Abroad, and Lords and Ladies.
The story itself is based around the Naming Ceremony of Verence and Magrats' daughter. King Verence has invited many major dignitaries from around the land. Unfortunately as a result of his open-mindedness he has also invited various parties from Uberwold. In particular these parties are Vampires and all vampirical antics are based around the introduction of these new characters.
It would seem that the three main elements to the story appear to be the invitation of the Vampires by Verence to the Ceremony, the lack of an invitation for Granny Weatherwax to the Ceremony, and the homeless Little Blue Men that appear to like nothing more than to drink and fight and fight and drink.
All these elements go to make up a great story which is I'm sad to say, not quite in the same league as the greats but still a good overall read. I await the next book eagerly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I do not get what all the fuss is over Discworld, 22 Dec 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
I decided to return to Pratchet some five years after having read 3 discworld novels. I wasn't blown away then and I wasn't this time either. Sure Pratchet writes in a clever fashion with snide and cynical remarks at society interwoven into the narrative, but to my mind not one of his books has really gripped me. They miss that I must find out what happens next factor. Never the less, I still enjoyed reading the book, but I could put it down. Some of the one liners are great, but you go to see a stand up comic for one liners, not read a novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cliff-hanger - do vampires overcome witches - or Vice Versa?, 6 Nov 1998
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum (Hardcover)
CARPE JUGULUM A Morality Tale from Terry to remind you that Granny Weatherwax is not invincible, Nanny Ogg is not a buffoon and Magrat is no longer a dithering flowerperson now she is Queen and a mum (but still a witch). Agnes Nitt (alias Perdita) comes of age as Lancre's newest witch and makes up the coven of 3 when Granny's not around. Some twit (King Verence) has managed to invite vampires to his baby daughter's naming day in Lancre, where they take over completely. The problem is how to get rid of them. These vampires are state-of-the-art modern entities, trained to resist garlic, religious symbols and other anti-vampire weapons. They are civilised, but have the cruelty of a master race to whom all other life forms are insignificant. They appear invincible and seem more than a match for the hapless witches. One bright spot in the gloom : another new species makes an entrance: pixies of a benevolent nature. They are a cross between Smurfs and Scotsmen with more than a hint of incomprehensible dialect. There's an unusually hesitant Omnian priest and an Ancient Retainer with irritating written-out lisp and character not unlike Gaspode's, and also Shawn Ogg, without whom the castle at Lancre could scarcely function. So, gentle Reader, get pensive, and stock up with drinks and biscuits because the plot races and this is a difficult book to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old ideas re-worked, to the greatest effect., 6 Jan 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum (Hardcover)
It took me just two minutes to become interested in this book, and a further five to start loving it. Terry Pratchett just has this effect on you, which first addicts you, then obsesses you, and before you know it, you're sitting atop a mountain of hardcover Discworld titles (this is the 23rd) with a copy of The Discworld Companion in your hand, quoting obscure references from The Colour of Magic. But about Carpe Jugulum . . . This book sees the welcome return of the Lancre Witches, complete with dual personalities, babies, and a whole lot of Oggishness, in their battle against the sophisticated, intelligent vampires who are the latest supernatural monsters to take a leading role in a Witches book (elves were the first, see Lords and Ladies). The smurfs appear, plus an Omnian priest and countless other innovations with just the right amount of old characters. This book thrilled me again, a hardened Discworld fan, like all the others had done before. If you are new to Pratchett, you may find this hard to follow. If you have enjoyed other Discworld titles, let yourself be enthralled by another comic masterpiece by Britain's best author since Tolkien.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 6 Nov 1998
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum (Hardcover)
I had never bothered with fantasy until I read Terry Pratchet, this man is the funniest. The book is full of the usual cast of folks, lots of Elves in this one. I would whole heartedly reccomend this book to those who have not read Terry's books before. Terry does not just re-invent the wheel, he just warps the familier icons of our culture and straps a couple of elves and trolls on top at no extra charge. A great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a little time, 16 Dec 1999
This review is from: Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 (Paperback)
As with every other Terry Pratchett book, I found myself reading this within 24 hours of receiving it. And while it's another excellent work by Mr. Pratchett, it isn't quite up there with his very best stuff (of which, in my opinion, includes Small Gods). This is not to say that Carpe Jugulum is bad; its only real weaknesses are
(1) the tone is a bit darker than some might expect. With points like assisted suicide, old age, obsolecence, and finding one's place in a changing world, the unprepared reader who was expecting a lighthearted romp might be caught unawares.
and
(2) for fans of Terry Pratchett who want the afformentioned levity and humor, the book starts off a bit slow. Sure, there are some brilliantly funny gags near the beginning (most notably "Note Spelling"), but the humor and the excitement doesn't really get into high gear until after reading one-third of the page.
Just stick with it, though, and the rewards are worthwhile.

Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23
Carpe Jugulum: A Discworld Novel: 23 by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 1 Nov 1999)
6.39