on 19 July 2010
I still rate this three stars like the other two that I've previously read in the series even though I feel this one is better than those two. Face it, these books are for relaxation. They will not win any prices but they are a fun read on vacation and that is how I look at them. I love the fact that they are set in WWII and this book has less romance in it than the previous two that I've read, but a little more of what the people were facing at the beginning of 1941. That suits me better. In this novel we get to follow Boots Adams' three children for the most part while a lot of the other Adams'get mentioned here and there. Boots gets married to the aristocratic Polly who has been in love with him since WWI. Feelings in the family are divided since some think that it is too soon after the death of his wife Emily.
Boots' brother Sammy is holding down the fort at home trying to save their businesses from being bombed. He finally gets their factories moved to a safer spot in London, as it shows, in the last minute.
But most of the book is about Boots' son Tim that is training for Commando soldier in Scotland. The reader gets to know a little what that entailed and as usual Staples decides to throw in an extroverted lady for him to fall in love with. Much irritating in these novels. The women are very strong, very extroverted and basically are the ones courting the men and proposing to them. Makes me wonder what planet I come from or what's wrong with me. Everything is not sugar sweet in the book though because Tim's lady friend goes on leave to London, get bombed and looses her eyesight but as the book ends, they are set to marry.Boots' French daughter Eloise, that has such high thoughts of herself, gets herself posted with Major Lucas, in yet a new spot. This time they go to Scotland and joins Tim's Commando company. Of course she is in love with Lucas but she is too haughty to see that. I guess Staples is saving that romance for another book.
Boots' adopted daughter Rosie, gets car trouble and finds a man to love in the garage owner. She does all the courting though so one sits and blushes really.
on 29 December 1998
Excellent continuation of the Adams family saga in which Polly finally gets her man.
on 21 June 2013
Staples portrayal of life in old Walworth is very accurate and he certainly 'knows his stuff' about the neighbourhood. East Street Market comes to life vividly as does his knowledge of the geography of this area. Characters are slightly feeble.
on 15 January 2013
love the book , very good quality and god price will buy more from this seller , came in good time , will love to have more in kindle book of the same author
on 12 March 2013
These are lovely books to read but have to be read in order to appreciate the quality of the writing and getting to love the characters
on 6 September 2015
Another very good read. History brought to life through stories of all the Adam's families. Looking forward to the next book.
on 1 January 2013
These books are easy to read, very relaxing, not too heavy to take on holiday I would tecommend this series to my daughters.
on 11 September 2014
Still working through all the Adams family books ....but again this 1 great reading ....I can never wait till the next 1
on 25 January 2014
really good saga keeps you interested it is a really good story and can't wait to get onto the next book
on 17 November 2015
I just enjoy reading about the Adams family