4.0 out of 5 stars Viking Romance

Published on 5 Oct 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Viking Romance, 23 Jan 2003
K. Newman "krazykmcd" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Professor Roseleen White loves her subject of medieval history. She buys an ancient cursed Scandinavian sword, and in doing so conjures it's owner, a magnificent Viking warrior, Thor's brother Thorn. Thorn is understandably somewhat bitter about the owners of the sword, when they are female he is forced to do their bidding. Roseleen is different, as Thorn quickly discovers, and the issue of personal power between them quickly becomes something of a more sensual nature. Roseleen shows great courage and trust by loaning the sword to Thorn, which enables him to take her back in time with him, to allow her to experience the time of William the Conqueror, and even meet the man himself. For a historian, it is a great temptation. Until, on returning to her own time, Roseleen discovers she has altered reality. The present she has returned to is not hers at all. Now they must go back, to fix what they have changed...
Johanna Lindsey is an author not afraid to try something new, and I enjoy that each of her books can bring something fresh to a sometimes tired tale - after all, Vikings, time travel and medieval tales all abound, but few can successfully pull off a mixing of the three. Lindsey can and does. The book is very thoroughly researched, and brings out some interesting theories on changing the events of the past, and even gives thought to possible ways that Roseleen and Thor might be able to stay together, without one of them being under a curse! The culmination is an interesting choice to resolve the issue!
Roseleen and Thor are the only characters with any depth to them, but they engage with each other well and I generally did not notice the lack of significant interaction with other characters, Roseleen's brother David and friend Gail being very much secondary characters.
A well thought out, well planned and well researched read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, across-time romance!, 27 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This was my first Johanna Lindsey novel and I'm hooked. As both a history buff/major and amateur writer, I feel the book was filled with an intricate plot that played out wonderfully, beautiful characters you get to love, creative use of history, and an ending for all the romantic dreamers in the world that's to die for. I admit the thought of time travel and the paradox that occurs in the novel are interesting, but the dreamer and historian in me fell in love with the cursed Viking I wanted for myself and the professor I wished I was. I recommend this book for anyone who loves action, myth, history, and of course good old fashion romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, a great fantasy and an even greater escape!, 16 Feb 1998
By A Customer
I was very hesitant to read a book on time travel and set in the present. I usually prefer historical romances, but this book did not disappoint me! Rosaleen is a very likable charachter and Thorn is just a totally masculine heart throb! I coudn't put it down and when I had to, I wanted my dinner company to leave early so I could read more. Johanna Lindsey has a way with making Viking men seem more desirable than vicious. That is the bliss of fantasy. This is a definate must read! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most!, 13 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This is one of the better time travel novels I have read, though not a patch on the 'Cross stitch' series. It is funny romantic and tender, although I did think our heroine could be really dense at times, as it took her forever to realise that Thorn really was a Viking and not a practical joke or a ghost. The ending was good with its little bit of mystery attached to it, leaving the reader to make up their minds what really happened.

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite page turner--romance plus history lesson., 28 Dec 1998
By A Customer
A touching book. Prudish Roseleen is awakened sexually by the epitome of male sexual magnetism in Thorn. What better way to portray the ideal male by creating a devastatingly handsome viking barbarian who has eyes only for our heroine, Roseleen. Bookish Roseleen finally succumbs to her physical desires for Thorn, and discovers the love she's been seeking for 28 years. Thorn's character develops from a barbarian into a sensitive and loving man, with a little help from our heroine while traveling through time. A satisfying read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance with plot, 17 April 1999
By A Customer
I admit, I'm a big fan of Johanna Lindsey, and have read about 90% of her books. But this one is one of my favorites -- something I can recommend to my friends who claim romance novels have no plots. There's an intricate plot, with history, and fun, and fighting, and of course, romance.
I'd recommend it to men who can't stand romance . . . they could probably "wade through the mushy stuff" to get to the fighting, and maybe realize the mushy stuff isn't so bad.
And I loved the ending. It gives you a choice of how much you want to believe or disbelieve. And a hope for the future either way. Absolutely wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!!!!!!!, 24 April 1998
By A Customer
the book was one of my favorite one's yet,everytime I read one of her books I can't put it done. I love how in this book she made it seem like it was a time travel book. The best part of the whole book was at the end when she brought him back to her year.!

2.0 out of 5 stars Outside glitz 10 times better than story, 5 Oct 1998
By A Customer
Johanna Lindsey, "Until Forever", Avon, 1995. A disjointed tale of Thorn (you know Thor's little brother) and Roseleen (wronged history prof and weapons nut). The set back cover and marketing verbage was almost worth the price. Almost, think Fabio (with dark hair) mostly naked, with sexy clad super vixen tastefully positioned to eclipse his, well you know. Unfortunatley the outside glitz was 10 times better than the inside story. Johanana spends "Forever" screwing up history and making meek attempts to fix it. Along the way Thorn's caveman interaction with Roseleen was trying and the ending a little too neat and contrived. I was disappointed, once again Madison Ave. promises but does not deliver.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this if you're looking for a good love story., 24 Jun 1997
By A Customer
Lindsay has a bad habit of giving way to much exposition in the first chapter. The book gets better when the hero makes his first few appearances, after all, he is a Viking hunk. However, the book soon becomes bogged down in plot and loses momentum. The love story, which is the main ingredient in every Romance Novel, never truly materializes, and we are thrown into a convoluted time-warp where the characters are obsessed with time-travel and we get a detailed history lesson. Ms. Lindsay should have spent less time researching and more time developing the love story. Disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Lindsey, 13 July 1998
By A Customer
Lindsey captures the essence of romance in this fairytale about a wonderfully cursed sword.
Time travel, viking legends, and witches are interwoven in this tale creating a magnificent tapestry of words.
Even though time-traveling vikings is a bit on the unbelieveable side, Lindsay makes it believable. I had a hard time putting this one down and finished it in three days, I think that's a record for me with my busy life!!
I recommend it!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Until Forever
Until Forever by Johanna Lindsey (Paperback - 1 May 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01