VINE VOICEon 22 February 2004
I read this book when it was first published and I was blown away by it. I had never before read something so touching. If I had known that there would be romance in it, I probably never would have picked it up, (Stephen King is my usual choice!!!), but I am so glad I did.
It tells the story of a 13 year old girl who, whilst out riding her beloved horse Pilgrim, is hit by a 40 ton truck. Grace and Pilgrim survive but sadly her friend dies along with her horse. Grace loses a leg at the knee and becomes extremely withdrawn. Pilgrim is treated for his injuries but is so traumatised by the accident that he won't let anyone near him.
Grace's mother Annie is a very strong willed business woman and feels that if she listens to the vets pleas to put Pilgrim out of his misery, something in Grace will die too. She tracks down a horse whisperer, Tom Booker, to seek his expert help.
Annie takes Pilgrim and Grace to Montana, but her daughter is less than thrilled at the idea. She makes it very difficult for her and they become even more distant from one another.
What ensues is a wonderful story of hope, love and terrific courage. The scenery is narrated so well that you can almost smell it and believe you are actually there with them. The characters are all beautifully written too, and you grow to love these people who become entwined together in this touching story.
All in all, this is a book that has to be read at least once. If you have seen the movie, that starred Robert Redford and Kristen Scott Thomas, you might well feel that it's not worth the time. You would be mistaken because the book has a completely different feel to it and also has a much different ending. As good as the film is, I much prefer to lose myself in the book.
on 17 January 2002
She magazine said it is a 'Cross between The Bridges of Madison County with Black Beauty intensify the elements of True Grit and romance, and you have The Horse Whisperer'
I have seen all three films and I can honestly say that whoever wrote that knows their stuff.
The Horse Whisperer is a wonderful novel written by a fairly new author, Nicholas Evans, with only two other books under his belt. The book tells the story of how a 13-year-old girl, Grace, and her horse, Pilgrim, survive a horrific accident with a 40-ton truck. But both are physically and mental scarred. Grace loses her right leg and the Pilgrim breaks his nose and becomes consumed with fear.
Annie, Grace's mother, refuses to have Pilgrim destroyed, as she senses that if she does, something in Grace will die too. So her quest begins to find someone who can help Pilgrim. She hears about a man in Montana, a 'whisperer' who is said to have an incredible gift of healing horses. She abandons her job and takes Grace and Pilgrim across the continent to this man, Tom Booker. Under the massive Montana sky, all their lives are changed forever.
The story is told in the perspective of four people, Robert - Grace's father, Annie, Grace and Tom. Which may seem daunting but Evans does it in a way that makes it so simple yet very effective. You understand more as you see the story unfold from a variety of people's eyes. He also adds in information about the history of some of the characters and the places they are in, it all adds to the experience of the novel and although it makes the novel longer it is well worth the extra pages.
A novel has never so profoundly touched me as The Horse Whisperer has. Usually when I finish a book I go right ahead and start the next one but I am reluctant to do this, as it will be ending the lives of the characters that have been a part of my life for a short but wonderful period of time. I was mesmerised with the characters and the story for five days, I just couldn't put the book down and if I didn't have to go to classes I would have finished the book a lot sooner!
At a whooping 479 pages the book is fairly long but well worth the paper! I definitely recommend that you read this book. The Horse Whisperer will forever be in your heart if you read it, I will certainly not forget it in a hurry.
on 29 December 2003
i really loved this book! i feel it might even be the best book i have evr read! it was a real tear jerker at some points you really felt like you were actually in the story! It was definitly one you just couldnt put down! i read it straight off in 2 or 3 nights! It was just the right length it was 500 pages or so and in that time you really settled in with the book. i loved the way it jumped about slightly from place to place and then somehow the two places met up and started up another part of the story! There was so much detail in every thing he said yet it never seemed to become boring! The start was really gripping which made you want to keep on going. The middle was really more like a love story totally different from the rest of the story! nicholas evans is such an insparational writer. i havent read any of his other books but i am definitely planning on reading them in due course! i really really hope that once you have read this you will read his book. i recommend it however old or young you are i feel it will really touch your heart and open up a part of you that you never knew existed.
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2009
The story in the book seemed to flow really easily with none of the implausible and clumsy plot turns that often crop up in fiction of this sort.
I had great sympathy with Amie - struggling for most of the book to get right the relationship with her teenage daughter whilst looking for a move in her own life to give her fulfilment.
It is not "a fabulous book that everyone must read" but is a great page turner.
Also worth mentioning is the main sex scene in the book which, I thought, was written beautifully and sensitively - unusual when a man is writing from a woman's perspective.
on 6 July 2009
You can't just read this book once. I bought it and read it years ago, I've leant it out so many times and had to buy it again uncountable times but if it's not on my book shelf then I don't feel complete. I LOVE IT! It's has you gripped from the first page and you won't stop holding on until the last page. Even then it's hard to put it down. If you haven't read it then make it your next book, don't even think about reading anything else!
on 4 August 1999
I love horses and I loved this book. From the very beginning Evans has you hooked. The accident is so gruesomely written that you feel as though you were the girl herself. Annie Graves is transformed from a selfish, career driven woman, into a sensuous caring mother. Tom Booker is a 'whisperer' who initially does not hold out too much hope for 'Pilgrim', the injured horse. Through perseverance, love and dedication the horse is transformed along with several lives. I watched the film before I read the book, so I was devastated at the real ending. Buy this book as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed.
on 20 February 2004
I first saw the film which I loved and last summer I thought I would read the original story. Of course as usual, I prefered the book and I thought it was a very good mixture between romance and actual "horse-story". Indeed, if you love horses and you pick that book, you will be pleased and it will make you feel to saddle that horse and go for a wild ride, but if you only pick the book for romance not only you will be delighted but you will also plan a ranch-holiday in Montana (secretely hoping to fall in love with your instructor!!!) Thumbs up for this fab book!
on 18 July 2000
What a book! I am not usually the emotional type, but this had me sobbing like a baby. The author has created a spot-on mix of adventure, interesting and believable characters, and a heady love story. The ending in particular will knock your socks off.
on 1 June 2010
I read this book a few years ago and totally fell in love with it. Watched the film recently, and thought I would have another round with the book. Oh, how I absolutely love this novel. Everything about it is just so fabulous, I truly think it might be my most favourite book ever. It's not very often I will re-read a novel, it has to be exceptional as far as I'm concerned. Curl up with up and I guarantee you won't put it down. I was sorry to reach the end. Ah well, just have to start it all over again!
on 19 August 2003
this is a brilliant read, whether you are interested in horses or not.
It has been extemely influential in bringing 'horse whisperers' into the limelight and there is no doubt that their work has helped many horses.
The amazing progress that can be made using these techniques is well described in the novel and this is one of the ways where it appeals to non horsey types - the techniques could easily be applied to other areas of life.
There is also, (of course for a writer the quality of Nicholas Evans) many other plotlines and stories within the book which prevent it becoming too bogged down in the horse aspect.
This is well worth a read for anyone who has an interest in horses, natural techniques or just good writing.
One word of warning for those to do ride: the description of a collision in the first chapter can make you reflect on your own riding experiences and make you worry!