5.0 out of 5 stars lovely
I thought I had read all of Catherine Cooksons books, but this one had escaped me.
It's such a lovely story, a bit different to the usual Catherine Cookson books, but kept me turning the pages, i couldn't put it down.
Published on 18 Sep 2011 by R. M. Finch

3.0 out of 5 stars Overdone
Published 5 months ago by Yellerbelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Overdone, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
It's many years since I read a Cookson novel but I had some idea of what to expect - brave and beautiful protagonist struggles against poverty and great odds to achieve eventual happiness. My grandmother was a Jarrow lass and contemporary with Catherine Cookson and the stories she told of her own childhood bear out Cookson's fictionalised accounts of grinding poverty, desperation and the ever-present fear of losing ones job and ones home with absolutely no safety net.
In 'Katie Mulholland', however, I felt the author was in competition with herself to see how many Awful Things she could make happen to one character! Rape, unwanted pregnancy, wife-beating, murder, miscarriage of justice, corruption, false imprisonment, eviction and homelessness, incest, unrequited love - this book has it all and more.
I kept reading because I was bemused by the piles of ordure being heaped on the wretched Katie and wondering how on earth she could emerge for a satisfactory conclusion. Unfortunately, by the time I was two-thirds of the way through, I'd ceased to care and would have been happy enough to see Katie and the rest of the cast put aboard the Titanic and sent to the bottom of the ocean. Alas, the writer chose not to include that disaster in this saga of misfortune! By the time I got to the end of the book, I thoroughly disliked most of the characters - the words manipulative, scheming, complacent and smug all have an application here. I felt the ending was far from satisfactory although that, at least, reflects real life.
I've given it three stars because of the writer's skill in bringing to life a set of personalities and a way of living which is almost impossible for a modern audience to comprehend and for her evocation of Tyneside speech patterns which bring back many personal happy memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 18 Sep 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriging Read, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
A very good read enjoyed it from start to finish. The plot thickened and got you thinking what next will happen. Wanted to carry on reading after each chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catherine Cookson's Katie Mulholland, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - as I have every Cathrine Cookson book that I have read. Katie Mulholland is a story of a young girl and how life treats her.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a story, 8 May 2014
M. Parker (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
I read this book years ago but since I enjoyed it so much then I am going to relive that pleasure soon. You are into the story from the first page and that does it for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked this book very much, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
Loved this story, and was swept away with all that happened to Katie Mulholland. Bit disappointed when the book suddenly jumped about 30 years about three quarters through and I found it difficult to connect all the new characters to Katie. Nevertheless very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Paperback)
A most absorbing book

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie Mulholland by Catherine Cookson, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book which I think is one of Catherine Cookson's best. It is an entertaining rags to riches with a very good storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great Cattherine Cookson, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
This was a good book, light and easy reading, Catherine Cookson at her best. A story of one woman's struggle in a man's world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Katie Mulholland, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
If you like Catherine Cookson this one does`nt disappoint, a really good `family` story. Conjures up a good picture of Tyneside

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Katie Mulholland
Katie Mulholland by Catherine Cookson (Paperback - 1 July 1993)