4.0 out of 5 stars Pride is all very well, but a sausage is a sausage
"Men at Arms" is the fifteenth novel in Terry Pratchett's hugely popular Discworld series and the second to focus on Sam Vimes and Ankh-Morpork's City Guard. Although its reputation may have raised very slightly, having rescused the City from a large and angry dragon, it's still not the fine and noble profession it once was.

Sam is the Captain of the Night...
Published on 2 Jun 2006 by Craobh Rua

2.0 out of 5 stars wrong cover
The quality of the book is fine BUT it is not as illustrated. I WANTED A JOSH KIRBY COVER !
Those are the ones I would like to keep. Not the modern one. Is there anyone out there that would swap ?
Published 22 months ago by stephen

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett is a genius!, 15 Jan 1999
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
I love this book and every other Discworld book ever written!! So I'm a biased, self-confessed, Pratchoholic, I can be critical too but in the case of this book, there's no way I can be. My favourite characters are: Carrot, Angua, Nobby & Vimes. The best thing I find about Discworld books is the fact that every single character has a slight flaw int their personality, looks, or both, which is true to life because no one is perfect, but at the same time it is hilarious which is what makes Terry Pratchett, I feel the best ever British writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where to start...?, 16 Jan 2009
J. Buckle "buckello" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
I'm hard to impress, but this is by any measure the most ENJOYABLE book I have ever read in 38 short years on this planet. To put it into context you should probaly read "Guards, Guards" as this does add to the characters. However Mr Pratchett is obviously a genuis, but this is just quite frighteningly good. If I could, I would thank him personally for writing it - unfortunately this is probably my only chance. But just read it and feel privilaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with a gonne..., 5 April 2000
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
Okay, I admit to never having bothered with Terry Pratchett up until...oh, 6 weeks ago. But I've recently started devouring his books 'cos I've had nothing else to read and thought I best give them a shot (as everyone else goes on about them).
Men at Arms I started the other day, and have just finished the little blighter. What did I think of it? Well, I enjoyed it. As always, I don't need to use huge amounts of brain matter to read his work, just a sharp wit and plenty of recognition value.
I've been reading through his books in order, and I'm getting surprised about the increased amount of emotion he is chucking into them. When Gaspode died the first time (okay, he hasn't died again) I was most upset, and in this book the unexpected and sudden death of one of the main characters was also rather a shock (though far less sad than Gaspodes death).
Pratchett seems to be making his books far more character orientated than story orientated. As such, I find them more enjoyable, as we see these people grow within the fictional boundaries of the Discworld.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discworld : Men at Arms, 8 Oct 2009
L. Barber (Merry England, Roundworld) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
Having read this book before (borrowed from local library) I enjoyed it so much I decided to buy my own copy. I've read it 3 times so far, it's funny, observant and scarily close to life on roundworld. Great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men at Arms another corker from Terry Pratchett, 20 July 2009
W. Tenney "WillamTenney" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Men at Arms (Discworld)
What can I say? Terry Pratchett is in a league of his own! I only discovered this genius of a writer 3 years ago through the Hogfather, little did I know then that I was entering a whole new world of entertainment and wonder.
Men at Arms is based on one of my favourite Pratchett characters Sam Vimes, we see a darker side of Sam in this as he struggles to contain his own demons, this is when Corporal Carrot comes to the rescue and leads us to a new beginning in the "Watch Series" of books.
I enjoyed this book from start to finish, Pratchett is the master of Disc World and leads us through the Political and social landscape of Ankh-Morpork with skill and no small amount of humour. Gaspode the dog plays an able companion for Angua and enables us to find out so much more about this new character.
Do yourself a favour read this book it is well worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost too funny, 30 Aug 2006
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
This is as good as anything Terry has written and is a true joy to behold. Only he could marry murder and mirth into such a palpable fun fest. The story is as follows: The watch hires some new recruits... a troll named Detritus, Cuddy the dwarf and Angua the werewolf. It already sounds funny doesn't it?! The highlight of the book has to be when Nobby and Colon visit the fools guild to make inquiries into the murder of the clown Beano.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Vimes' new millenium, 25 Oct 2005
Another fantastically entertaining masterpeice from Terry Pratchet. If you like any of the other books in this series based around the cunningly inteligent watch you will love this one.
Vimes needs a new, improved watch and only true Pratchet fans can imagine the trouble such a thing can bring.
Highly recommended just for its dry humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men, Women, Children and then the rest of you..., 27 Sep 2005
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
Terry Pratchett is a brilliant humourist. There surely can be very little argument in that. But this book shows how he devloped as a writer - indeed it was this book that led to the true ascension of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, which I think must be a good thing... Anyway, this is definitely the book for you if you feel like a bit of action, mystery and not just a little bit of humour... I picked it up for the first time a few years back, and just last week finished reading it for the eighth time - and I still want to read it again! Worth looking at if you're new to Pratchett, although I warn you that you might well get hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK IS GREAT!!, 28 Feb 1999
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
Everybody should buy this book. This book is so good that my Drama class did a play of it. Anyone who wouln't give this book a four or five crowns bellongs in Belluve mental institute. If you don't want to buy it you're missing out on one of the greatest books of all time. All the charecters are great espesially Captain Vimes Capian of the night watch, Lance-consitble (Later Coperal and Sargent) Detritus, the origanaly stuipid but soon educated by lance constible Cuddy the dwarf, troll and Leonard Of quirm The inventor of the most dangerous wepion of all time, the Gonne (oringinaly the "Point-it-and-the-enemy-is-gone-stkick) Leonard is a genious. he invented lemons that made lightnig but he can never think of a decent name for his inventions. When he invented the Sticky Tab he called it The-Handy-Piece-Of-Paper-That-Sticks-On-Things-And-Comes-Off-When-You-Want-It-To. All in all this is one of the best books I have ever read

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hilarious tale about the Night Watch of Ankh-Morpork, 20 Nov 1998
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
The brave men...and trolls...and dwarves...and assorted other illsuited species....of the proud Night Watch, the police 'force' of city Ankh-Morpork, are once more making the streets unsafe, as they search for a dangerous murderer who is armed with a device-for-flinging-lead-pellets-very-quickly. The murderer doesnt even leave a note on the victims of his name, as the licensed ones in the Assassin's Guild are required to do. Follow the gallant and often sober Captain Vimes and his <insert foul adjective here> officers Sergeant Colon, Corporals Carrot, Detritus and Nobbs ( stay downwind of this one) as they look for trouble in all the least likely places - they might risk finding trouble in the likely ones - and protect the innocent ones. In Ankh-Morpork, you can count the latter on one hand, and better not count twice. All in all, a good plot with an actually surprising end, with all the warm humour one has come to expect from Terry Pratchett. You are warned - if you read this one, you'll end up buying the other books about this bunch too.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14
Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 10 Nov 1994)
5.52