5.0 out of 5 stars Personal isn't the same as important
Men at Arms reunites us with the stalwart defenders of our beloved Ankh-Morpork: the Night Watch. Along the way we also meet up with some of the Discworld's most distinctive secondary characters (including Foul Ole Ron and Big Fido), get a glimpse of affirmative action Ankh-Morpork-style, discover the identity of the rightful king (if Ankh-Morpork still had a king, which...
Published on 11 Aug. 2005 by Daniel Jolley

2.0 out of 5 stars wrong cover
The quality of the book is fine BUT it is not as illustrated. I WANTED A JOSH KIRBY COVER !
Those are the ones I would like to keep. Not the modern one. Is there anyone out there that would swap ?
Published on 18 Sept. 2012 by stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep reading, 19 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
If you read any of the City Watch novels and don't find them funny, you might as well put a metal bin over your head and beat it with a large stick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Transcendent Read, 1 Aug. 2014
Keith Beasley (Bangor, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
Pratchett’s Discworld novels are always an excellent read (we rely on them to help us through long train and plane journeys) and this is one of the best. With Ankh-Morpork threatened by a magic super-weapon (which the wizards have nothing to do with) so the eccentric yet believable Watch save the day. With Carrot, the 6’ 6” dwarf, courting and his boss, Vimes, getting married into the gentry, duty still comes first.

Light yet deep, this Discworld volume, perhaps more than others explores so many real-life issues with insight and awareness. You think we, in human society, have problems with ethnic issues? Try adding trolls, dwarfs and werewolves to the mix! And what about this: wolf + human = dog. Fascinating.

As I laughed and cried reading Men At Arms, I wasn’t consciously thinking of the parallels between Discworld and Earth, but my mind was inevitably making them . . .and I smiled even more! Thinking of studying sociology or psychology? You might learn just as much reading Pratchett . . . and probably have more fun in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really touching, 17 Feb. 2011
K. Tsiligkiris (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
I instantly fell in love with the discworld series when I read the first title, which is the colour of magic, or something like that. Anyway, I decided to start collecting and reading these great books. I must admit that sometimes I was a bit let down by Sir Pratchett, in the sense that some of his titles were bellow par, but never the less enjoying. I was particularly let down by the night watch. Guards, guards for example was a bit tedious and boring. But men at arms was a revelation! This book is really great, and really moving! I would suggest it with no second thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett is a genius!, 15 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
I love this book and every other Discworld book ever written!! So I'm a biased, self-confessed, Pratchoholic, I can be critical too but in the case of this book, there's no way I can be. My favourite characters are: Carrot, Angua, Nobby & Vimes. The best thing I find about Discworld books is the fact that every single character has a slight flaw int their personality, looks, or both, which is true to life because no one is perfect, but at the same time it is hilarious which is what makes Terry Pratchett, I feel the best ever British writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars men at arms, 14 Jun. 2013
as always cannot recommend too highly but the I am a Terry Pratchett fan. This story had my favourite guards in, who bumble through life with such a cheerful air that you cannot help but be cheered up
.All the Watch chasing a new weapon, all the guilds involved,and superbly narrated by Tony Robinson with such skill as to make the characters come to life.What more could you ask for.
Pratchett has such a skill with words, interpreting them literally. If you haven't read/ listened to him please, please do so. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the Discworld series?!, 28 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
Although I am a constant fan of the Discworld series, I do feel that Terry Pratchett has outdone himself with this novel. It is action- packed, ridiculously funny, and with characters you can really get your teeth into. All this adds up to make this book one of the best in the series. Long live King Terry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant crime novel, but with trolls and 2000lb crossbows!, 31 July 2001
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
I had never really heard of Terry Pratchett until a few months ago when i was lent 'Eric', and i loved it. Now i have read about half of the Discworld series, and the City Watch series and characters are my definite favourite.
This book is stunning. The whodunnit storyline is as good as any crime novel i have read, while the Watch characters lighten the mood superbly; the humour being as funny as ever. You just can't help but like all the characters. Well, maybe not Nobby. But still, everyone in the book, except Nobby. And probably the clowns.
If you like Pratchett novels, buy this book!
If you like crime novels, buy this book!
If you like comedy novels, buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
Terry Pratchett at his best! Witty, funny and gives an amazing insight into police life in an entertaining way.
Terry Pratchett books are great. Just skip the first two ; The colour of Magic and The light Fantastic where he's adjusting his writing and also the last two ; Snuff and Raising Steam which are appallingly poor and probably not written by himself, but for the rest his books are guaranteed fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars An ecellent fantasy whodunnit, Pratchett's best., 26 Oct. 1999
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
This is my favourite of all Pratchett's books! The city watch are back and with the task of cleaning up Ankh-Morpork!!!!! This book is extremely funny because of Vimes and his passion for writing wrongs (and whisky), plus the fact that you have no idea who the culprit is. In this respect it is an excellent whodunnit as it leaves you desperate to know who the killer is and who his next target is.

4.0 out of 5 stars good fun!, 11 Aug. 2011
T. Finnegan "ranita25" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 (Paperback)
I have enjoyed the Discworld books for a while now.. This one was great fun, as usual.. Love Carrot, Angua, and, especially, Vimes.. Can't really leave a helpful review here, I'm afraid.. For me the Discworld series is something to enjoy, one book at a time, but I couldn't review them individually.. So far, I have not read one of them I did not like! Would highly recommend the series..!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14
Men at Arms: A Discworld Novel: 14 by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 10 Nov. 1994)