5.0 out of 5 stars Another Mayhew book I could not put down!
Published on 9 Feb 2004 by shirley lieb

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
We have been trying to get a copy of this book for an elderly family friend.
This company list it as available (new copy) and an order has been placed on 2 separate occasions. On both occasions the order is processed and I receive an email advising my order has been shipped approx 4 days after the order is placed. Then after a period of time (up to 7/8 days later) I...
Published on 28 Aug 2010 by Lily

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Mayhew book I could not put down!, 9 Feb 2004
shirley lieb (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
Bluebirds is the second Margaret Mayhew book that I have read and it makes me want to read all of them. Her stories are riveting, her characters so real that they almost jump off the page and become part of your life. The story draws you in, so that you feel that you are really living in wartime England. Last Tues. I was reading Bluebirds during the time when the monthly test of the tornado warning siren went off. I instantly jumped up and had to suddenly remind myself that if was okay, this was not the blitz.
The women whose stories are followed in the book grow and learn. Everyone tasted the bitterness of the horrific battle deaths. But they persevere and in the end look back on those times as among the happiest in their lives.
Each woman, Felicity, Virginia, Winnie and Anne, all experience love. Some are lucky enough to have their love endure to the end, surviving the odds of bombing missions and V-2 rockets. Anne and Virginia are at looser ends, but even though there is not yet one special person there for them, they have the self confidence to know that things will still be okay for them.
Looking around at 70 or 80 something women today whenever I visit the UK, I wonder how many untold stories there are. How many hours could I listen to them tell about their lives then.
This book could stand alone as a history of what happened during those dark years from 1939 to 1945.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully accurate depiction of the WAAF during WW2., 20 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
Having served for 37 years in the RAF, joining in 1948 and marrying an ex WAAF from the same period, I was lost in nostalgia and enjoyed the way the threads of the lives of the girls were woven together. The depiction of life in the RAF/WAAF was more accurate than one expects from authors writing at this distance. I could not put the book down and read it at every opportunity until I had finished it. Margaret Mayhew has either a wonderful memory of those times or access to excellent researchers or both. Her writing style brings it all to life and makes one actually feel for the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars very moving and compelling account of women in the war, 16 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
I am a fan of Margaret Mayhew and have read all her war books this one is the best she has written. It transports the reader right back to the war and takes them on a journey that is both factually stimulating and emotionally compelling.Margaret Mayhew successfully entwines the lives of the women who worked in the forces and the experiences they had whilst managing to keep the stories seperate.I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romantic historic books that are easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars heartwarming,heartbreaking ,wonderful., 16 July 2001
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
I have read all of margaret mayhews books but this is my favourate.You feel that you are one of the new recruits in the newly formed WAAF.The girls have no uniforms,the station commander thought them a nuisance and unable to cope, but with the girls determination he soon has to eat his words.we follow four of the girls through their struggles to be of use,their loves, lifes and sorrows.This is the second time I have read this book and still find it hard to put down(housework gone out the window again)If you have not read any of M Mayhews books before then make this your first you will be hocked.can`t wait for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Engaging Read, 31 July 2008
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
One of her best. Margaret Mayhew never fails to beguile with her storytelling. There is just the right balance of personal detail about her characters to thoroughly engage the reader. Her research must be detailed, as the world she conjures up is convincing. She deserves a better reputation than she presently seems to have among the general public. Ten years ago her books would probably have been made into TV movies, to which they are admirably suited. Endearing and heartwarming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluebirds, 4 May 2003
Mrs G Taylor (Ashford, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
What a wonderful story about women in the WAAF during World War 2. It tells the story of 4 women from different backgrounds, who join the WAAF and after a dificult start gain the respect of the RAF personnel. I found this book hard to put down and didnt want the story to end. A must for any Margaret Mayhew fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
This was the first Margaret Mayhew book that I've read and I absolutely loved it. I couldn't put it down and I can't wait to read all the others. The story telling is so accurate so I'm told - I'm too young to remember the war- but the characters are so well formed and so engaging that I felt as though I was actually experiencing WW2! This is one of the best books that I've read in this particular genre and I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should read this..., 13 Feb 2010
The Good Daughter (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
By far the best of all her novels... I have now read it about four times and still it sits on my shelf waiting to be read again. For me the sign of a book that I really enjoy is wondering what the characters did next - which I still do with this one. ?It's engrossing in ways of the characters and the setting and the aspect of life in the forces - anyone who likes this kind of novel will find that it will very quickly become a favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars A another good book by Ms. Mayhew, 4 Nov 2001
M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
I bought "Bludbirds" based on reading the reviews of others and I can you that I was not dissapointed. The one thing I love about Margaret Mayhew writing is that even though she has alot of characters she is able to give time to each character and develop each of their stories. A great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
Enjoyed this book. Great insight to the start of this women's service and a good story. I learned a lot.

ARRAY(0x9d26aa14)

Bluebirds
Bluebirds by Margaret Mayhew (Paperback - 1 Aug 1993)
Used & New from: 0.01