Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 20 July 2002
All of Robert's books are a treat, but I've long thought this the best. (Abacus first edition, no less!)
He's most reminiscent, I suppose, of PG Wodehouse, although William Gibson could learn a thing or two from him in terms of imagination. Rankin's greatest skill is to make the reader feel he or she is part of a small club of mates, with his blokish references and running gags (usually running far too long - at least one has now been going for about 15 years!)
I don't imagine Robert reads these reviews, but if you're reading now, Robert, deepest thanks. Finding The Antipope in a charity shop in 1985 was definitely a life-changing event for me!
on 1 November 2006
The fourth book of the five part trilogy. That might be someone else's hitch-hikeresque joke, but its a great way to start!

Although the book stands alone sufficiently to be read without its predecessors, I don't think it should be - the same gang are in on this one as always and therefore their introductions and character developments are not as complete and in depth as you might get by reading the other books, the characters and their quirks, or sheer madness, are the beauty of the series.

As usual the plot is nuts, the way we get from one end to the other is crazy and only a lunatic could believe that it could ever happen, but having said that the setting of the book in such a real down to earth setting and with people who at first glance aren't completely impossible gives the book something of a warmth. So you could almost imagine a little if you really wanted to.

Jim, John, Norman and all have to fight off evil (yes, generally its always just evil they have to fight, a true example of good v evil where the heroes aren't really quite what heroes should be) as the Olympics come to Brentford. The day may well be saved, but I reckon that the heroes come into much more peril than normal, and that is actually quite a shock, no longer are they almost completely safe (as heroes really ought to be, you cant kill a hero after all) but these guys are almost mortal, a nice touch that.

[...]
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2003
Rankin’s fourth ‘Brentford Trilogy’ books (following The Antipope, The Brentford Triangle and East of Ealing) is typically insane stuff, with another arcane evil threatening the Brentford locals. Jim Pooley and John Omally are supported by the full familiar cast of Inspectre (so much more mysterious than Inspector) Hovis, Professor Slocombe, Hugo Rune, Norman and of course Neville the part-time barman.
There’s some great writing, some hilarious comedy scenes, and some jokes so awful only Robert Rankin would dare write them down, but on the negative side there is more than a faint whiff of formula about this outing. This is most apparent in this novels ‘evil villain’, a rather generic creature, and in the rather predictable structure of the novel. Still, fans of the previous three Brentford novels will find this is still essential lunacy.
on 18 March 1999
Read the first three Brentford books first (buy them all in one go if you haven't got them - you wont regret it). I couldn't put this book down. I wanted to know what would happen next and I was always left wanting more. If you like Pubs and Darts and can imagine last of the summer wine on acid then these are the books for you - hilarious.
on 12 September 2013
I fancied a change to my usual reading genre so thought I'd give this a go. It was an interesting and amusing change and I'd read Robert Rankin again if I came across another of his books in a 2nd hand book shop but I'm afraid I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt down the rest of the trilogy.
on 14 February 2014
This was bought for my sons to read as they were all born and raised in Brentford.
Although I enjoyed all the local references, the content is rather masculine and and more appealing for blokes
on 18 October 2009
OMG RANKIN AT HIS BEST ALL HAIL RANKIN STRICKTLY FANS ONLY IT WOULD BE YOO TOO MUCH FOR MEAR MORTLALS
on 13 May 2016
Brentford Trilogy goes on being brilliant.
on 21 June 2016
Good condition and funny
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2004
Not a bad fourth book in the Brentofrd Trilogy; but it starts with the world on a level playing field - despite the ruination of such in book three.

In fact there are gaping holes in the plot which make the trilogy and and the extra sum up like this 3 + 1 = A Brussel sprout.

Read this book for it's own enjoyment, it is still a good read and enjoyable; however I think I enjoy the voodoo handbag and the choccy bunnies of the apocalypse much more for their sense of surrealism!

Ohh Matron - long words!
I like books that take me away from realism of daily of grime and tedium of daily life.
Roberto de Rankin manages this quite well - recommended.