Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2005
From the outset this book is undoubtedly as weird and twisted as the first two books, whilst grounded in a reality where the objects and situations being described can be imagined and understood, it quickly spirals out of control taking the things of our world to a whole other level of pure 'odd'. The way this takes you on a little journey, watching events as they unfold is good fun.
This time we deal with a little thing called Armageddon, nothing to worry about though, because we have the help of one Sherlock Holmes to prevent it. The devil and his hordes are coming and they are doing so because man has created the perfect mechanism for them to do so, but it is in a seemingly unlikely guise.
Having completed the third book containing John and Jim I still find myself confused between the two, trying to remember which one of them is which is a constant struggle, for me they merge into one single ball of complete weirdness - but such a lovable and easy to connect with pair they are.
The other characters are all like friends now, so gone are the long descriptions and introductions that come in early books. Each person is well known to us and they exhibit all the traits we expect, however, this does not go to make the book boring, more it makes it warm and inviting, like a family friend!
As the book drew to a close I got excited, waiting for the strings to come together. Characters who had disappeared at opportune moments earlier in the story began to reappear, performing their parts well. The tension was building and I was anticipating a finale that would shock me by virtue of its twisted method as the strands met. But I was somewhat disappointed to find the book doesn't really end, the characters are not all closed out completely and I was left a little empty. Now I know that life doesn't always close up nicely with neat little ends for each character, but I quite like books to pay attention to the little things too, and especially have some kind of end rather than a whimper.
Overall the book is a quick read and an easy page turner, its also very enjoyable, however, it is not a patch on the first two books, and as such you should make sure they come first. As for the next couple of books in the series, im looking forward to them quite a lot!
on 5 September 2004
I just can't give this one three stars (even though it deserves it) because the other Brentford books are so very good, and I don't want to put anyone off. This is the weakest in the series so far, sadly, and the ending is particularly unsatisfying. Can't shake the feeling that Rankin's usual "hey, lets have THIS happen and see where we can take it" approach to writing rather got away from him on this one. So, read it if you've read the others, but whatever you do, be sure to read "The Antipope" or "The Brentford Triangle" first!
on 11 August 2006
The first two rankin books in this series were among my favourite books to read. Here Rankin attempted to be too extreme i think and it took its toll on how much enjoyment could be taken from the book - i think he was a better writer with less 'in-jokes' and more down-to-earth plots.
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2003
Rankin takes his time getting to the good stuff in this forth part of the Brentford triology, then its all aover too quick and a little to extreme. (Four books in a trilogy, thats Rankins humour for you)
In this volume, there is mention of the issues in the last volumes, except the characters names, which is weird.
Not as much fun to read as rankins more imaginative stuff, such as the chocolate bunnies or the voodoo handbag for instance.
This volume is a bit of British pub life mixed with a storyline from 'The Goodies' only without the humour, the trike or the giant cat.
I'm determined to read it, but am finding it an excellent cure for insomnia at the moment!
Newbies should try something else in Rankins enormous repetoire first methinks.
on 29 November 2010
Fantastically funny. Rankin is brilliant at creating characters like Neville the part-time barman and professor Slocombe.
There are lots of great jokes and set pieces in this book but the plot is also interesting.
on 14 February 2014
This was bought for my sons to read as they were all born and raised in Brentford.
Although I enjoyed all the local references, the content is rather masculine and and more appealing for blokes
on 19 August 2013
As always Robert Rankin gives a jolly good read. Eccentric, very English humour, puns and allusions abound for people of a similar age to Rankin.
on 8 August 2015
Just my kind of book. Love it.
on 17 October 2000
Robert Rankin is one of the best writers currently working. His reccurring characters, gags, plots and locations get bigger laughs each time you spot them and his unorthodox style is one ofthe best around. So why doesn't he get more recognition? Because he doesn't write about meaningful subjects or sell enough books. This has to change.
on 24 March 2013
Worst of the books unfortunately.It has the usual to recommend it.The silliness,insanity, recycled old jokes and a cast of characters we know and love ,but that ending,oh dear, the devil is truly in details