VINE VOICEon 26 September 2011
Oooooo this was the best of the 3!!

Oh sigh and swoon over Ian...what else is there to say about the gorgeous hero of this book...

In this 3rd and final book of the series we meet Ian Thornton and Elizabeth Cameron.
Elizabeth is apparently a good friend of Alexandra from the previous book (where this was mentioned im unsure as i didnt remember her being mentioned).
Anyhow they meet at a weekend party, flirt and dance, kiss and start to fall in love. Then there is a lot of misunderstandings and confusion and there ends up being a duel leaving Elizabeth's reputation in tatters, and she is shut out of society.

2 years later....her brother has disappeared leaving them to the debt people, she has sold everything of value so that she doesnt lose her precious house. And even though she isnt unhappy she isnt quite fully happy either.
Her horrible uncle has decided she is to marry again as he is sick of paying for everything and sends out letters to all of her suitors in order to find one to marry her. 3 of them get back to her, 1 of them being the lovely Ian Thornton.
This sets off a chain of events, ending up with back with Ian, him being engaged to someone else and then him rushing after her to declare his love and ask her to marry him. In order to do this though he also has to settle an old family feud....once settled he is now the heir of the Duke of Stanhope.

*takes a breath*
He sorts out a deal with Elizabeth's uncle and then asks her to marry him, she has a few things she wants to add into the contract, he happy with that because all he wants is her.
Wedding bliss ensues..altho Ian feels terribly guilty over her brothers disappearance as he was the reason behind it. Although in his defence Robert did try to kill him twice more after the duel. Rather then inform the authorities he decides to put him on a ship and allow him the time and space to get over his hatred.
Robert then makes a reappearance and tells Elizabeth a lot of lies, she believes him and they run off together, altho she does come back again when she sees that Ian is on trial for murdering both her and Robert, she runs to help rescue him and tell the madistrates the truth.

Once Ian is cleared of the charges he is (and rightly so) angry and pretty much wants to throttle Elizabeth. She tries to explain, tries to tell him how much she loves him but he files for divorce.

This is where I am going to leave the narrative and get to how brilliant I thought this book was.

It was completely and utterly the best out of all 3.

Ian was a fantastic hero...he was stubborn to a fault but he was just irrisistible and adoreable and I fell in love with his character from his very first scene :)
I really really liked Elizabeth also, thought she was sweet and strong, hardworking and loyal and i was obvious she felt something for him. I wanted to yell at her to stop being so stupid and KISS HIM!
Then when she ran off with Robert, my opinion of her fell considerably. I felt so bad for Ian.
In fact I imagined myself in the story, elbowing her out of the way and comforting him myself lol

From this point on I was totally biased towards him. He did act incredibily stubbornly but then again what did she expect? she should have talked to him about these accusations other than run off.

There were also some incredibly funny parts to the book also. For example the character of Lucinda, Elizabeth's spinster Aunt. Her dialogue was so funny at times that it had me laughing out loud.

The ending was a lovely JM ending. All gooey and lighthearted and now I feel all swoony.
I loved it!
Am now off to purchase the Westmoreland series.
on 7 August 2000
Elizabeth's wealthy but stingy uncle can't wait to get her off his hands, so he writes to fifteen suitors who previously offered for her hand in marriage. But that was two years ago, before Elizabeth became involved in a scandal that destroyed her reputation and made her persona non grata in society circles... Bravely facing her difficulties, Elizabeth meets the three suitors that may still be prepared to marry her. A thoroughly enjoyable read, this novel is not without its flaws , most noticeably scant historical detail and reliance upon clichees. But it is amply redeemed by its fast pace and irreverent humor.
on 23 November 2000
The wit, the romance, the passion, the sheer beauty of this book knows no bounds, it is for me the best of Judith Mc Naught's Novels may we have more of the roller coaster precious emotions that while reading carry you along, and the energy is tangible. I love the references to Pride and Prejudice WELL DONE
on 13 August 2000
ALMOST HEAVEN is Judith's greatest work ever. Ian and Elizabeth are fully developed and their personality are so powerful that you long to meet them. Both are amazing, strong, charismatic and a bit unconventional. They're not your usual JM hero and heroine. Ian Thornton cannot be beaten by the other JM heroes. He's the best hero Judith ever created. Elizabeth Cameron is one of the most beautiful heroines I've ever read - inside and outside. She's less fiesty than the other JM heroines but she's spunky and spirited in her own way. She's not a victim. ALMOST HEAVEN is romance at its very best. If you haven't read this book, you don't know what you're missing.
on 17 December 1998
I think this book was the most beautiful and incredible book I've ever read. The author has mixed love and romance with the fabolous nature of Scotland. I couldn't stop reading it and when I finished it I felt so empty, but also very happy and walked around with a smile on my lips for a long time after.
This is one of the most exiting books I have ever read. And when I mean exciting, I mean erotic, romantic, funny, dramatic. thanks once More
on 29 July 2008
I Love Ian Thorton...hes is the best JMs main character...highly recommended...reread this book many times...highly recommended
on 30 December 2004
THIS BOOK HAD ME ENTHRALLED FROM THE FIRST PAGE AND I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. I HAVE READ IT ATLEAST TEN TIMES AND FOUND IT BETTER EACH TIME I READIT, WELL DONE JD KEEP WRITING.
on 6 April 2011
This is one of the best romance books I have read... Ian Thornton is the dark, brooding but very passionate male hero and Elizabeth is the beautiful sweet kind heroine. From the moment I picked up this book I could not put it down and I am sure I will re-read this at a later date. It did not bore me and the pace was very quick - I highly recommend it - me ? I am off to buy her other books..
on 11 November 2007
This book should carry a warning! Do not read unless you have a few days with nothing going on. It's gauranteed you won't be able to put this one down. The characters were believable and the story line heart wrenching at times. I loved it! A must read for all you romantics.