Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 December 2014
I am a big fan of Danielle Steel, I think this is great read, it's sad, uplifting, I could not put it down. It makes you think as a woman what if this happened to me how would I have coped. It makes you think. I am glad I read it.
"Lightning" is another novel by Danielle Steel, it's one I hadn't read and was even more pleased to find out it was dated pre 2000. I've enjoyed reading all her novels before 2000, but after this date some don't seem to be as good.

Alexander Parker is a lawyer who lives in New York. She has a career and husband she loves, when 40yrs old she gives birth to a lovely little girl. Whilst trying for another baby, through having some tests they discover she's very ill.

Her husband Sam is a Wall Street financial whiz, and when he finds out she's ill overnight he turns into a real rat and blames her for becoming ill. He lands himself with a great business deal and the distance between them grows even more.

Alexander continues to work and look after their daughter whilst her husbands' attitude continues to get worse; Alexander's world is thrown into turmoil.

That's all I want to tell you of the story as I really don't want to spoil it for you.

Danielle's characters are well written and she makes them very real, (they could be a family living next to you), she gives them plenty of depth and it's a story that could happen to anyone. The story is one of triumph, hope and faith.

I found the novel an easy read, interesting and enjoyable. It's a compelling read, I just couldn't put this novel down, (I love that in novel). :-)

It's a book I'll definitely read again and it was worth every penny. :-)

This book is a must for all Danielle Steel fans. :-)
on 2 August 2005
What a fantastic book! Danielle Steel deserves such credit for this heart-rendering story. She portrays real life situations in a gripping and emotional way to her reader. I was hooked from the start.
The story takes us through the life changes of a forty year old woman as she has her first child and realises what she has been missing out on through to the 'lightning bolt' that she has a tumour found in a routine medical examination.
Danielle Steel takes the reader on a journey with the woman as her life shatters and her family drift apart in such a way that as she cries you do too. You feel the pain she feels and with her make the heart breaking decisions she has to make.
A fantastic book to laugh and cry with!
on 21 April 2001
I'm only 14 and this is the first Danielle Steel book i read. It's absolutely brilliant! In the book the high flying lawyer Alexandra has a perfect family with her little girl Annabel and her gorgeous older husband Sam. This all changes though when Alex goes for a routine mammogram and a tumor is found. Sam is unable to deal with the fact that Alex has breast cancer. So Sam starts having an affair with his colleague Daphne. Incredible book, it's a must have!!
on 4 September 2014
My wife bought this for her Kindle and she said that it is really an excellent read. It reflects the true aspects of life and kept her interested right up until the last page.
A couple with a young child find their lives thrown into turmoil when she is diagnosed with cancer. Her husband immediately goes into denial as his mother had died of the exact same thing. She is left to bring up the child alone but does receive help from an unexpected friend.
To say more would be to give away a thrilling and heart rending story.
on 22 April 2014
Disappointing no feel good! Just wanted to find out what happened in the end! Depressing ! Have read many many books of hers but never been left feeling like this
on 9 November 2012
I love Danielle Steel's books and this one did not disappoint. Well worth buying and reading as are all her books; I am now reading yet another of her books with more to work through
on 3 August 2013
The story dealt with many complexities in a relationship that comes under great stress. It was never predictable, and though a sad subject, it was a riveting read and very credible.
on 25 January 2013
Thought I had read most Danielle Steele books so was well pleased to find this one. Thoroughly enjoyed, it was an excellent read and would strongly recommend.
on 17 August 2014
Just a brilliant book, could not put it down, always wondering what the next chapter would bring . I would recommend to anybody that reads Danielle steel