5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
I love this book! The first time I came across it, it was hidden in a corner in a bookstore. It cried out to me. I had to take it home. I laughed so hard that I cried, more than once. I loved it so much I gave it away. Which is an extraordinarily difficult thing for me to do. But it wanted to be shared, and I can't deny a book its destiny. My brain, however, is...
Published on 12 Feb 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of this and a bit of that
Gaiman and Pratchett seem to have had great fun writing this book. However this does not make Good Omens a good book. It's a bit of Gaiman and a bit of Pratchett shoehorned into a passable idea. But hey it's a cult classic so what do I know.
Published 6 months ago by Sunflowers

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 11 Oct 2006
S. Duncan "SED" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
This is one of those books that has the best of everything. I have lost count of the times I've read it and the number of paperback copies I have bought, read, re-read, lent to my (now adult) children, re-read some more and had to throw away. I now have a hardback copy. It's the sort of book you can dip into wherever, whenever. I find more to amuse each time I read it. I love the characters, so many almost familiar from Terry Pratchett's Discworld, yet others from the mind of Neil Gaiman. It is my all time favourite novel and my only certain desert island book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still funny!, 27 July 2006
M. J. Axtell "Jimmy Luxury" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
What I like is the fact that there are reviews here spanning 8 years, the earliest being 1998. Isn't that when Amazon started product reviews? I know that there are major works of literature that last decades (you know the ones), but this isn't. It's a mere trifle of a book. But a very tasty trifle and one of my favourites.

This book is a tongue in cheek comedy about the apocalypse, amongst other things, and there are genuine laughs around every corner. You could almost picture it as a TV miniseries or something. If you can't imagine yourself laughing out loud at the prospect of armageddon, then this book will surprise you, even if you are a hardened literature fanatic.

Even though it's a bit of a religious satire (a la Dogma), I can't really see it offending anybody, as the idea is so far out it cannot possibly be taken seriously. And you would have to be extremely pretentious or have a heart of stone not to find it funny, especially the Hell Hound, the M25 and and the way SATAN SPEAKS TO CROWLEY. DON'T LET US DOWN NOW CROWLEY.

Time has been kind to this book and all I hope is that there are still people buying this book in the next decade. People will still be watching Spinal Tap for years to come. I hope this book receives the same treatment.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was all written... well, almost., 26 Nov 2001
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
Next week is the End of the World. But as Armageddon steadily approaches, as prophecied by Agnes Nutter the Witch, Aziraphale the Good Angel and Crowley the "Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards" are just starting to realize that maybe it isn't such a good idea.
In the meantime, babies are swapped, the Witchfinder Army investigates and the Four Horsem- Bikers of the Apocalypse, Hell's Angles of course, along with the four other Bikers of the Apocalypse and the four teenage Cyclists of the Apocalyse all converge to Lower Tadfield in Southern England where it's all supposed to happen.
With a plethora of characters, puns round every corner and hilarious footnotes, Good Omens is not only another version of Good vs. Evil, but is also a pure delight when it comes to train your zygomatics.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Crowley blessed under his breath . . .", 21 Feb 2005
Stephen A. Haines (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
That's because Crowley is a demon. "Cursing" under his breath doesn't offer a demon the emotional release the opposite expression would provide. Crowley is one of The Two. His opposite number, Azariphale, is an angel. For six thousand years [Ussher missed the correct time of creation by fifteen minutes], they have wandered the planet awaiting the final encounter - Armageddon. The arrival of the AntiChrist on Earth is what they've been preparing for. Of course, it means both of them will thereby be laid off. No more job.
Pratchett and Gaiman's story of Christianity's two-millennia-long fulfillment episode is outstanding. With their combined wit and inventiveness, "Good Omens" is at least a laugh per page. A subset of humanity has blamed The Evil One for various wars, disasters and Labour governments. Not so, according to Crowley, who should know. Each time he thinks he's devised a truly fiendish torment to apply to humans, they've usually gotten in before him. And exceeded his expectatations. When it comes to vindictiveness, it seems nothing can outdo the human species.
There's another side to humans, however. It's sometimes discovered among children, who haven't learned the kinds of nastiness adults can develop. Among the children of the remote British town of Tadfield is a four-member gang, the Them. Three lads and a red-haired girl struggle to understand the adult world. One of them, Adam, has a certain level of leadership. He also has a dog - named "Dog". A recent acquisition of Adam's, Dog has been developing a taste for rabbits, a novelty compared to his previous diet.
Although the authors kindly provide a "Dramatis Personae" at the book's opening, listing various real and supernatural beings, one group enjoys a particular place in this book. Witches have endured some interesting shifts in our history. Where once they were dumped in the nearest scum-covered pond or fried upright bound to a post, now they have a new image. Today it's health food, long beaded necklaces and ley lines. Anathema Device, who may [or may not] be the descendent of Agnes Nutter, takes her role quite seriously. After all, she has The Book. The subtitle of "Good Omens" says it all [except you will relearn the definition of "nice"]. Agnes foretold the future in astonishing detail and precision - a capacity surprising Azariphale and occupying Anathema's time.
Bringing all these disparate elements together seems an impossible task. Especially since the logical conclusion would leave the book with a set of blank pages at the end. Pratchett and Gaiman, who both have proved inventive in devising conclusions, don't fail you here. Find out how they deal with Armageddon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful irreverance, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Good Omens (Kindle Edition)
Gaiman's humour is just wonderful and I've enjoyed all the books of his that I've read so far. I giggled my way through the book and enjoyed the way he can de-bunk so much of organised religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 25 Oct 2007
This is a great read, not Discworld related despite Pratchett co-authoring.
Really takes a different view of religion and pokes fun, very funny in places, one I would re-read over again. Give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collaboration, 28 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Good Omens (Hardcover)
Now a confirmed fan of Pterry this book was my first introduction to his work. The combination of Gaiman and Pratchett is one I'd really like to see repeated. The plot has subversively amusing undertones but I think it was the detail that really hooked me. I had the sense of looking in on a really completely thought out world. I'd recommend this to anyone but especially to any Pterry fans looking for a Pratchett fix sans discworld or just waiting for the next book to come out! Having tried Gaiman's other books I still find this my favorite of his works. It seems a little more concrete somehow. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read, 26 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
Firstly I must say that I was already a fan of Pratchett's work prior to reading this book.
I was given this book by a friend who had won it in a competition. Her comments being something along the lines of "I don't like all that wizards and stuff type books" (i.e. a discworld novel), how wrong she was!! This book is not part of the discworld series, neither is it anything like any of them.
The story follows Crowley, a demon of hell (he's not as bad as he sounds!) and Aziraphale an Angel of heaven. Together they are trying to stop the apocalypse from happening. Oh and it's next Saturday, just after tea, Agnes Nutter [witch], predicted it.
Throughout the story many other colourful characters are introduced to the reader.
The novel is very light hearted and a pleasure to read. The only problem I found with the book was that it had to end!
If you are already a fan of Terry Pratchett, read it. If you are not a fan of pratchett or simply didn't enjoy the Discworld book, read this... you will be very surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasons not to read Good Omens, 4 Jan 2005
Caro Sturmey (Tunbridge Wells, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
There are no reasons not to read this book. I have read this book about 15 times, and have gone through several copies. You should buy the copy with the strongest spine, cos mine kept falling apart, and also I keep lending my copy out in an effort to spread this gospel.
The story is a dark but highly enjoyable count down to the end of the Earth, with the unlikely dinner companions of an angel and a demon. Just read it, it will be worth it, I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pants wettingly funny, 21 Jun 2007
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
The only way I can honestly review this book is by simply saying.....

When I read this book I got banned from the library for laughing too loud.

Genius, Simply Genius.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

Good Omens
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 23 May 1991)
5.59