5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
I love this book! The first time I came across it, it was hidden in a corner in a bookstore. It cried out to me. I had to take it home. I laughed so hard that I cried, more than once. I loved it so much I gave it away. Which is an extraordinarily difficult thing for me to do. But it wanted to be shared, and I can't deny a book its destiny. My brain, however, is...
Published on 12 Feb. 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars good elements
ive stoped 65% of the way through as i realised that at this point i wa making myself read it. i think the story is interesting but its all so spread out and meandering that it became difficult to connect to the characters after a while. i think it would make a better film or series than a book but i know that both authors have many loyal fans who will probably still...
Published 1 month ago by Charlene

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant concept - and it delivers., 19 Mar. 2002
Mr Mark A Roberts (Kenilworth, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
What happens when you take Terry Pratchett - the father of fantasy comedy, and Neil Gaiman - the dark comic genius of the graphic novel, and cross the two of them with 1970s cult classic "The Omen". Well the answer is "Good Omens" and not only does it sound like a good idea in principle but this book delivers.
Anybody who has ever seen the Omen will find this to be possibly the finest horror parody of modern times, and the unitiated will find find it a hillarious and perfectly planned out novel.
The Devil sends his teaching through the voice of Freddie Mercury, on a car radio? And his son was mixed up with another kid at birth...
You simply must read this book. Regardles of if you've never seen a Discworld Novel, or read any of the Sandman Library, I assure you you will enjoy it. It is after all something totally seperate to both those series' and that is what makes it so special.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was all written... well, almost., 26 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
Next week is the End of the World. But as Armageddon steadily approaches, as prophecied by Agnes Nutter the Witch, Aziraphale the Good Angel and Crowley the "Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards" are just starting to realize that maybe it isn't such a good idea.
In the meantime, babies are swapped, the Witchfinder Army investigates and the Four Horsem- Bikers of the Apocalypse, Hell's Angles of course, along with the four other Bikers of the Apocalypse and the four teenage Cyclists of the Apocalyse all converge to Lower Tadfield in Southern England where it's all supposed to happen.
With a plethora of characters, puns round every corner and hilarious footnotes, Good Omens is not only another version of Good vs. Evil, but is also a pure delight when it comes to train your zygomatics.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the End of Times...., 27 May 2011
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
You may have heard that the world was supposed to end last weekend. Based on the fact that you are reading this post, I think we can all safely assume that it didn't. It struck me that predictions can be, at best, awfully fickle things. If only there was a book that didn't mess about, something that took all the guess work out of things and just made The Apocalypse simple

According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter - the world's only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday . Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea...

Good Omens was originally published way back in the halcyon days of nineteen ninety. At the time, I was a thoroughly impressionable sixteen year old and I think, in hindsight, that I can now squarely point the finger of blame for my obsession with the end of the world on this novel.

The premise is simple, the Antichrist is born on Earth and following a baby switch that quickly devolves into farce, he ends up with a family in a sleepy little village in England rather than as the son of a US Cultural Attaché.

Fast forward just over a decade and we are re-introduced to Adam, the Antichrist, and his gang, `Them', an atypical group of youngsters. Accompanied by Dog, a small yappie-type mongrel with serious identity issues, they roam the leafy lanes of Lower Tadfield seeking excitement that would appeal to a group of eleven year olds.

Meanwhile, across the globe, various groups are trying to seek the Antichrist out. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are finally on the move. The Witchfinder Army are primed to take action - all two of them, and a women called Anathema Device is tracking predictions laid down hundreds of years previously by her ancestor Agnes Nutter.

Also, along for the ride, is an angel called Azriphale and a demon called Crowley. Having spent thousands of years on Earth they have become quite fond of the human race, and so between them are attempting to maintain the status quo and divert the End of All Things.

With knowing nods to diverse references such as The Omen, and the works of Enid Blyton, the novel covers a lot of metaphysical ground. There is something for everyone from the hollow earth theory and the missing continent of Atlantis to the collected works of Freddie Mercury and Queen.

The predictions from Agnes and additional footnotes provided by the authors add extra depth to all the fast paced comings and goings. If you put me on the spot and asked the question `what's your favourite prediction?' then the answer would most certainly be "Do Notte Buye Betamacks". Even now, decades later, this remains funny. My father resolutely insisted that the picture quality was better than VHS so this has become a running joke in our family.[1]

Twenty one years after publication and Good Omens is still a laugh out loud experience. This week, I have made a strangled snorting sound on a number of occasions whilst on the bus going to and from work, my attempts to stifle my guffaws while reading failed miserably.

For many years a proposed movie version has languished in developmental limbo. At one point I'm sure I even remember reading that Terry Gilliam's name was associated with it. If I was allowed to choose only one book that was to be made into a film, Good Omens would be it. C'mon Hollywood, make this happen. Never has the end of the world seemed so amusing.

While I still have your attention - the good news is that I've checked the internet again and the Rapture has been re-scheduled to occur in October. This may or may not be directly related to the fact that Denmark has recently banned Marmite, I'm not sure. Anyway, enjoy your summer holidays they may well be your last.

___________________________________________________________

[1] I apologise to anyone under thirty. There is a chance that this paragraph may well be lost on you. Basically before DVD and blu-ray there used to be this technology called `video recorders'.... Ohhh for Heaven's sake!! Google it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful irreverance, 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Good Omens (Kindle Edition)
Gaiman's humour is just wonderful and I've enjoyed all the books of his that I've read so far. I giggled my way through the book and enjoyed the way he can de-bunk so much of organised religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collaboration, 28 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Good Omens (Hardcover)
Now a confirmed fan of Pterry this book was my first introduction to his work. The combination of Gaiman and Pratchett is one I'd really like to see repeated. The plot has subversively amusing undertones but I think it was the detail that really hooked me. I had the sense of looking in on a really completely thought out world. I'd recommend this to anyone but especially to any Pterry fans looking for a Pratchett fix sans discworld or just waiting for the next book to come out! Having tried Gaiman's other books I still find this my favorite of his works. It seems a little more concrete somehow. Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate subject for laughter, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Good Omens (Kindle Edition)
An angel and a devil who are good friends (after all they've been meeting for 6000 years since the world began in 4004 BC) and who like things the way they are, work to avert a plot to bring on Armageddon, with the help of a number of other unusual characters. I suppose I should have indicated a spoiler alert there, but after all, you know already that Armageddon didn't happen.

A fun read, thoroughly recommended. Mentally summing it up as "Just William meets Dennis Wheatley" (does anybody still read Dennis Wheatley?) I was then amused to discover that the book had had the early working title of "William the Antichrist". I docked a star because some of Terry Pratchett's later books are so good, and I must keep something for even better books that in many ways are similar. In a less clunky system I would give it 4.8 stars.

Wonderfully inventive on every page. The only reason that I wasn't completely bowled over was that I came late to this clever work. I've long admired the surreal comedy of Douglas Adams, which had shown the way earlier, and that plus the influence of this book during the quarter-century since the Gaiman/Pratchett co-operation has made its originality a fraction less startling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and funny, 7 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
What can I say? I've read Good Omens countless times and still, it is one of the best books I have ever read in my life.
The hilarious use of otherwordly characters is spot-on (the devil-dog that becomes a terrier and discovers cats) and the interesting interaction between the angel and the demon.
But the best part is how thoughtful the book. It captures what I believe is true human nature, caught between light and dark, equal parts demonic and angelic (some humans will do things even demons would find squeamish). In a way, there is much religious connonation to this story, whether that was intentional or not.
Buy the book, read the book, love the book, and then read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars The End of the World not quite as you expected it., 14 May 2010
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
I'm a huge fan both of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. Well, it certainly didn't disappoint - it was funny, witty, satirical without being cruel, and very entertaining.

It's a story about the end of the world, as predicted in the Bible, and features all the characters you might expect from the Apocalypse. Only they're not exactly what you'd expect (I specially liked the portrayal of the Four Horsemen and the Antichrist's dog). You have an angel and a demon who have developed a friendship and have spent so much time with Humanity that they have come to love it even with all its faults, and therefore don't really want the world to end. They are easily the best characters, but there's a myriad of others. I won't get into their descriptions here; it's best to read the book and discover the roles everyone takes.

All in all, I enjoyed this book, even if it does show painfully that it was written a long time ago (some of the jokes might have been fresh back then but have since been overused; also, the technology has since evolved, how shall I put it, immensely). But it's still funny and raises some very interesting points, so I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read, 26 Feb. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
Firstly I must say that I was already a fan of Pratchett's work prior to reading this book.
I was given this book by a friend who had won it in a competition. Her comments being something along the lines of "I don't like all that wizards and stuff type books" (i.e. a discworld novel), how wrong she was!! This book is not part of the discworld series, neither is it anything like any of them.
The story follows Crowley, a demon of hell (he's not as bad as he sounds!) and Aziraphale an Angel of heaven. Together they are trying to stop the apocalypse from happening. Oh and it's next Saturday, just after tea, Agnes Nutter [witch], predicted it.
Throughout the story many other colourful characters are introduced to the reader.
The novel is very light hearted and a pleasure to read. The only problem I found with the book was that it had to end!
If you are already a fan of Terry Pratchett, read it. If you are not a fan of pratchett or simply didn't enjoy the Discworld book, read this... you will be very surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 1 Feb. 2009
Ms. A. Malein - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
In high school, I read all the Discworld novels. I remember looking in the library to see if they stocked any I hadn't read and I found Good Omens instead. Something completely put me off actually borrowing -something about the cover looking odd (!) and the half a sentence of blurb didn't endear me-so I didn't and I left.
A few years later, my brother bought Good Omens to take on holiday, and once I'd read all mine, and he'd read out a few choice paragraphs of GO for my amusement, I finally read it too.

I don't know what else to say other than that I still own that same copy and it's front and back covers have long gone and the spine almost bent into a cylinder. I have read it again and again and would say it was my favourite book, if anyone insisted I pick just one book.

It is sharp, witty and purely satisfying escapism. It is fantastical without being at all wishy-washy and as I have read it over and over as I have grown up, I have learnt to enjoy it on many different levels, as my sense of humour has matured.

Go, read it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

Good Omens
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 1 May 1991)
Used & New from: £0.01