5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Published on 12 Feb 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of this and a bit of that
Gaiman and Pratchett seem to have had great fun writing this book. However this does not make Good Omens a good book. It's a bit of Gaiman and a bit of Pratchett shoehorned into a passable idea. But hey it's a cult classic so what do I know.
Published 4 months ago by Sunflowers

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 12 Feb 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
I love this book! The first time I came across it, it was hidden in a corner in a bookstore. It cried out to me. I had to take it home. I laughed so hard that I cried, more than once. I loved it so much I gave it away. Which is an extraordinarily difficult thing for me to do. But it wanted to be shared, and I can't deny a book its destiny. My brain, however, is not so capable of release. I had to buy it again. And read it over and over and over. Until I gave it to my boyfriend, before we were dating. And still, I read it at his house. When he forgot and gave it back to me, I cruelly didn't correct him. (It came back to me! It must be fate!) Now, there's a new edition out, with comments by the authors. I have to go get it.

I'm obsessed. It's unhealthy. I know. Come join me. It's the best apocalypse you'll ever survive.

Crowley and Aziraphale have been locked in the battle between good and evil since, well, at least the beginning of time. In fact, it's been so long that it's become more of a debate then a battle. Actually more of a conversation. Aziraphale is an angel, and part-time rare bookseller. It's a front; he really collects the books for himself. Crowley is sort of a fallen angel; well, as the book says "an angel who did not so much fall as saunter vaguely downward". So he's a demon, ish. Mostly he's an instigator. These two have been enemies for so long that they've become pretty good friends.

But that's all going to end. Everything is going to end. Next Saturday. That's when the apocalypse has been scheduled for. The final battle between good and evil. What's an angel, or demon, to do when it comes time to end the world, but they really don't want to?

The apocalypse is aided and thwarted, alternately, by angels, demons, and an assortment of other ridiculous, hilarious, pitiful characters. Newton Pulsifer, Witchfinder, armed with a stickpin. Anathema Device, Witch and owner of the only accurate book of prophecy to ever be written, until she lost it. Agnes Nutter, author of said book, semi-illiterate, or maybe just a really bad speller, and dead. The Chattering Order of St. Beryl, satanic nuns who really just like to wear black. Dog, who was, or is, or should have been a hellhound. Adam, the anti-christ, depending on how the day goes. There's a lot more, but I don't want to ruin the fun. Let's just say that good, evil, and prophecy are all ideas that leave a lot of room for interpretation. And I'll never leave music in my car for too long again.

Reviewed by: Carrie Spellman

5.0 out of 5 stars Peerless, 8 Mar 2007
ds (Whitby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
If I were to say that, even now, nearly 15 years after I first read it, this book is still one of my favourite reads ever, you will probably get some idea of the direction this review will go. Just imagine, if William Friedkin had made a film of the Just William books - that's what this book is like.

The mix of Pratchett and Gaiman is pretty much flawless, with all the sparky wordplay and fun of the former mixed with the mordant, grim wit of the latter. Put together they spark, like Crowley and Aziriphale, even though they really shouldn't.

The highlights are too numerous and fine to count, but it's a good sign when there's a laugh on almost every page and even the footnotes are a riot; the beginning of the book is a prime example, the Earth's a Libra indeed...

I think this is probably one of those books that everyone should read at some point or other and one that is filled with a great deal of love and a sense of fun about the genre and characters it parodies so relentlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The world will end next Saturday. Just after tea..., 6 Jun 2006
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
I don't normally have out and out favourites, but this book has to be an exception as it's the only book I've ever re-read until it fell apart in my hands!

A cracking comedy about the end of the world that's well worth buying just for the footnote explanations "for Americans and other aliens" of such British staples as roaring open fires, Milton Keynes and pre-decimal currency.

It's about time I added to the stack of reviews for this one and 06/06/06 seemed the perfect time considering the Armageddon theme!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Light Read With Laughs Galore, 27 Feb 2007
T. Watson "tobyjwatson" (Saltburn, UK) - See all my reviews
This was a very enjoyable little book. I read it on the advice of two friends, and haven't thanked them enough yet.

The plot looks at the efforts of an angel and demon to avert the forthcoming Apocalypse, despite receiving orders from their respective employers (heaven and hell/God and Satan) to ensure that it does take place (and that their respective side wins).

The book explores some of the more ridiculous aspects of religions in general, and the concepts of eternity, heaven and hell. Great moments include the fact that the M25 ring road around London is a homage to hell; that no interesting musicians went to heaven; and the order of Satanic nuns who take a vow of loquaciousness.

Good Omens lauds humanity and humanism, and the general increase in these facets of society despite religion's best efforts. It is a very fun light read, with plenty of good British humour and ongoing jokes throughout (reminiscent of Douglas Adams at his best). Most enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and funny, 7 Nov 2001
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
What can I say? I've read Good Omens countless times and still, it is one of the best books I have ever read in my life.
The hilarious use of otherwordly characters is spot-on (the devil-dog that becomes a terrier and discovers cats) and the interesting interaction between the angel and the demon.
But the best part is how thoughtful the book. It captures what I believe is true human nature, caught between light and dark, equal parts demonic and angelic (some humans will do things even demons would find squeamish). In a way, there is much religious connonation to this story, whether that was intentional or not.
Buy the book, read the book, love the book, and then read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crowley: An angel who didn't so much fall, as saunter vaguely downwards, 21 July 2006
S. Wallis "oboemania" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
If I had a favourite book, it would be this one. Yes, I am a fan of Pratchett's (and Gaiman's) other work, but this one really stands out as something a bit different, and hopefully might appeal to the many people who dismiss his work as being all about wizards, witches, dragons and all that rubbish - they are missing the point, as what his books are really about is people and the stupid (and not so stupid) things they do, but never mind.

I would imagine that if you were the kind of person who found Monty Python's Life of Brian offensive, then your reaction would be similar to Good Omens, as it does poke fun at a lot of the notions of the Chistian religion (and astrology, and satanists, and Americans, and McDonalds, and Milton Keynes, and, well pretty much everything really). On the other hand, if you like that kind of humour, then I think you would enjoy Good Omens.

The basic plot is that the Antichrist has arrived on earth, but owing to a mess up at the hospital, ends up in Tadfield, a small town in England, instead of being brought up as the son of the American Cultural Attache. Crowley (a demon - fallen angel - hence the title of the review, for those who didn't get it) and Aziraphale (an angel), are searching for him, in order to avert the end of the world, having decided that they quite like people, and, whether Heaven or Hell wins the last battle, things are going to be pretty boring afterwards.

But really the plot (which hangs together extremely well, especially considering the many excursions from the point) is just an excuse for a lot of excellent humrous writing, combined with a number of the insightful comments about human nature which Pratchett does so well.

One of the joys of reading a Pratchett book is the sheer number of references which he manages to pack in, and Good Omens is no exception. THe book of revelations is a big target (the 4 horsemen of the appocalyse have been replaced by the four bikers, and Pestillance has retired muttering about penicillin, to make way for Pollution), but he also manges to include references to the Just William books (the reviewer who complained about the Them sections being twee was seriously missing the point), The Omen, spy films, Queen songs, and the Mona Lisa among others.

Add to that a wide range of humour, from some painful puns, such as hairdressers' shops named Curl Up and Dye, and A Cut Above the Rest, to Sister Mary Loquacious's wittering about the baby Antichrist ("does he look like his daddy then? I bet he does. Does oo look like your daddy then?"), to televangelist songs like 'Jesus is the telephone repairman on the switchboard of my life' to Crowley and Aziraphale's odd-couple bantering, to an explanation of what evil really lies behind the M25 motorway, and many other things too numrous (and bizarre) to mention.

If you're looking for a serious book, a literary book, or standard fantasy fiction, then this isn't what you're after, but if you want to have a laugh, with some serious points thrown in, then I would definitely recommend Good Omens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice ande Verry Accurate Prophesie, 25 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
"Good Omens"... The title says it all, doesn't it? If you haven't read this tome of magnificence, do so on the double. You won't regret it. If you're an avid fan of the pragmatic comic fantasy and sci-fi genre (as am I), into Douglas Adams, Tom Holt, Spike Milligan, the Goons, Monty Python, Red Dwarf, and just about everything else, you'll absolutely and undeniably enjoy this novel. It's co-authored by the infintesimally gifted Neil Gaiman, but is more of a scintillating rip-snorting effort of Pratchettian humour. It isn't Pterry's best, contrary to popular belief, that much coveted award has to be given to "Small Gods" (see my review of it), but "Good Omens" is nevertheless a refreshing, hilarious, insightful, cynical look at life, the universe, everything, and quite appropriately, witchfinding. "Good Omens" is...well, let's put it like this: it is a novel that, as Terry Gilliam says, is a children's story, and it's about the Antichrist. Funnily enough, the Antichrist is a nice comic-book dwelling young man named Adam, who has been displaced on planet Earth, Tadfield, to bring about the much-prepared Apocalypse. Unfortunately, Adam doesn't particularly enthuse upon this concept. He's not demonic, he's not angelic, he's only human, and that's the way it is. Meanwhile, Aziraphale the bookshop-proprietor and angel on the side, and Crowley, the serpent of the Garden of Eden and anti-Freddy Mercury enthusist, are having too good a time of it to let the world see its end, and so they go about relocating the Antichrist, and halt the Day of Reckoning after they finish off a round of pints. Meanwhile, Anathema Device, great granddaughter of Agnes Nutter, the only truly accurate prophet to the wavering future, is attempting to decipher her ancestor's prophesies...but she loses the book. Ah-oh. Meanwhile, Newton Pulsifer (Latin derivative: PULSION = the act or action of pushing, eg. giving, and PULSIFY = leguminous vegetable, eg. peas; literally the 'Giver of Peas/Peace')has been employed as a Witchfinder, meets the lovable rogue Shadwell, and Madame Tracy, and all these characters start the ball rolling... "Good Omens" is saturated in hilarious gags, frequently funny footnotes, eccentric characterisations, and brilliant satiric observations of how humanity has not got to grips on reality. "Good Omens" is a very funny, theological and philosophical book exploiting the reader to our only Salvation. It does not poke fun at Jesus, nor God, but merely the closed train of thought that Heaven and Hell are as disorganized as this or any other world. "Good Omens" is a riot. Some of the lines are so utterly brilliant and memorable they simply adhere to your head ("What?" <"I said we burn faggots." <"Alright!")And some of the scenes are so hysteric and historic, they will never die ("I want to be Really Cool People" for example). It's certainly a good thing that "Good Omens" is going to be filmed by Terry Gilliam, because I have no doubt that if he does it accurately, it will be his greatest work yet. Lovely stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars This ones a stayer, 3 Nov 2006
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
One of my favorite Terry Pratchett books - on a par with anything else he's written. A twisted version of the 'Omen' - a "what would happen if..." the antichrist was actually brought up by a middle class family in Tadfield. The hell dog is now a cuddly mongrel that likes it's tummy tickled, and the antichrist is an imaginative boy living in a constant ray of sunshine.

A very clever book with so many recent contemporary references, light hearted humour, dark humour - and some great philosophical moments. 'The ineffable plan' on its own could be the spark to a highly intellectual conversation.

Ultimately about choice, and the many paths that human life can follow. If you don't have it yet, buy it! You won't be able to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars My very favorite book., 11 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
I don't usually read books more that once, but this one, I've lost count of the number of times. I love it. Soooo funny, each time I read it I laugh out loud... I recommend it to anyone who'll listen to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 11 Oct 2006
S. Duncan "SED" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Good Omens (Paperback)
This is one of those books that has the best of everything. I have lost count of the times I've read it and the number of paperback copies I have bought, read, re-read, lent to my (now adult) children, re-read some more and had to throw away. I now have a hardback copy. It's the sort of book you can dip into wherever, whenever. I find more to amuse each time I read it. I love the characters, so many almost familiar from Terry Pratchett's Discworld, yet others from the mind of Neil Gaiman. It is my all time favourite novel and my only certain desert island book.

Good Omens
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 23 May 1991)
5.59