Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2001
As an avid reader of Joanna Lindsey's novels, I have to say this is one of my favourites. Mostly this is due to Tony: effortlessly arrogant,cool and calm until confronted with Roslynn: then the passionate, hot-tempered side is revealed. I found Roslynn a refreshing change too: older than most, practical in the sense she is aware of Tony's seductive game from the start, but not so practical that she doesn't get completely swept away by it. This is a wonderful read: the interaction between the two of them is always lively, completely convincing and the end result is, of course satisfying; These are two people you can imagine together. Highly recommended.
on 10 December 2006
Johanna Lindsey has written lots of books based around the Malory family but this is one of the earlier books featuring Tony (Anthony), the fourth brother in age after Jason, Edward and James. Tony is a confirmed rake who notices Lady Roslynn Chadwick, a Scottish woman who has arrived in London, and sets out to charm her. Unfortunately for him Roslynn is looking for marriage - and only that - as she is trying to escape a potential forced marriage for her fortune from one of her Scottish relatives. In the end Tony marries her to rescue her from this problem (although he's hardly doing it for unselfish reasons) and although Roslynn accepts she insists that he continues to have a mistress - she is sure that he won't remain faithful to her so would rather know that he is definitely unfaithful than always worry.

I think it's this part of the book that I didn't like. Sometimes the "Big Misunderstanding" you seem to need in most romance books is a turn-off and in this case it is. Equally, although Anthony is described as stunningly attractive (of course!) his actual nature doesn't seem very appealing to me - he lies to Roslynn all the time to get his way, purposely tries to compromise her (mostly successfully) and generally moves his way through the book thinking pretty much only of himself. Until he decides he loves Roslynn, of course.

This is one of Johanna Lindsey's earlier books and it shows in the interactions between the characters; books written more recently tend to have the hero more sympathetic, understanding and less self-centred which fit far better with my modern reader's wishes. Still there's nothing intrinsically WRONG with this book, it just didn't work for me.

Historical details are patchy and the language is Regency mixed with American, as one expects from these sorts of authors. As one also often expects, we have the obligatory Scottish characters who speak in a broad Scottish dialect. It seems strange that there are so many Scottish people in American-authored Regencies - I suspect this is something to do with ancestors from Scotland or something.

I actually didn't find this book very romantic - the interactions between the two characters were lust rather than romance. I much preferred Lindsey's book "Say you love me" which was the story of Derek, son of Jason, which seemed to have more love and tenderness than this book. If you've not read either and want to give one a go, try that one rather than this, I think it would be less disappointing.
on 10 April 1998
It can't be said that Mrs.Lindsey doesn't know what her readers want. Anyone who read about, and loved, Uncle Tony in the first Malory novel, will be thrilled with this book. It was filled with love, humor, and the amusing wit of Anthony Malory! Thank you Mrs. Lindsey, it was GREAT!!!!!!
on 8 June 1999
This comes close to being my favorite book of all time. Absolutely loved it. Couldn't put it down. The chemistry between Tony and Rosalyn was irrefutable. They were made for each other. The story was incredibly well written. And it didn't leave you feeling empty, with loose ends. Every end was tightly secured. When you put the book down after you're finished reading it, you'll want to instantly pick it back up and read it again! Go for it!
on 15 January 2011
The least likeable heroine meets the kind of hero who dominates by sexually assaulting the heroine until she gives in. The entire book reads like one long row, interspersed by sex. Then throw in the unlikely tale of some evil cousin.

No emotional bonding, no character development, no intelligernce. A truly awful effort at mimicking regency romance.
on 15 June 2013
Love the rollercoaster that the Malorys give you, makes me sigh with jealousy and spoils me for the modern man of today , wish I could have a time machine to whisk myself back to this era.Love how the Author keeps you hooked from first line so by the last you don't want want it to end.
on 21 January 2015
One of Johanna's best. The characters are great and make you want you to follow on to the next story. I have read all of the 'Malory' books and this is my favourite, although the story of James and George is a winner as well.
on 25 November 2012
I love the variety of characters Lindsey puts into her books, feisty Scotswoman was refreshing and I love the Andersons/malorys that Lindsey have so carefully created, thank god there are so many brothers in each family!
on 10 April 2013
I found this book very irritating. The story was boringly obvious with the heroine being a complete bitch not even a Mother would love. If I could ask for my money back I would. Disappointing.
on 30 January 1999
Anthony Malory is a rogue worth giving up your soul to and Rosalyn Chadwick is about to find out that this is a man you can't get out of your system. One of the best books I have ever read. Truely 5 Star material. Can't wait for more Malory Novels to come to the neighborhood Book Store.