5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent romance!!
This is another excellent romance from Judith McNaught. The two main characters, Victoria Seaton (american orphan) and Lord Jason Fielding (arrogant, sophistocated) provide plenty of entertainment and as usual in JM books the heroine has plenty of wit! Another book I couldn't put down!!! It's just a shame I have to wait SO long for the next one.
Published on 15 Aug 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Once and always
Published 18 months ago by Edel

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent romance!!, 15 Aug 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars out of this world!!!, 25 Nov 2001
By A Customer
I loved this book. It made me cry, it made me laugh and I absolutely loved the characters. Victoria (Tory) and Jason are the main characters. Victoria arrives in London with her younger sister becuase their parents have both just died. Victoria goes to live with her so called uncle and her sister wth her grandmother. Jason is her uncle's "illegitimate" son but still the heir. They both get married because her uncle is on the "brink of dying". But her uncle plays a little trick to get her to stay in London. The battle between Jason and Victoria are well described. The charcters are strong. But, not only is the woman vulnerable but the man is also as you'll see if you read it. I could'nt stop turning the pages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 28 Sep 2000
This review is from: Once And Always (Paperback)
One of the best stories that came upon me so far. I really enjoyed reading it. The second time it was even better. Two characters that I would have really liked to meet. I recommend it to every one who likes to read an impossible to put down romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why cant we give 10 stars or more., 9 Mar 2007
This review is from: Once And Always (Paperback)
I got this book from a library and bought it afterwards(I just had to)
Finished it overnight from around ninish till the next morning(I had work to go to)That's how mavelous the book is. You cant put it down. It's genius, fatastic and believable. I laughed, pitied, made love and cried with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Mar 2007
This review is from: Once And Always (Paperback)
I loved this book, and have read it, and McNaught's other historical romances until they have fallen apart! The characters are truly believable and all have definate personalities unlike the characters in many romance novels who are often very two dimensional... Neither of the characters are perfect and yet you can see why they come to love one another and how their relationship works... the detailed descriptions by the author make you feel as if you are almost there with the characters!When you have finished this book you will be left with a sense of well being along with regret that it has already finished..

2.0 out of 5 stars Once and always, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Once And Always (Paperback)
I found this book to be utterly annoying. I do not think Jason deserves a 'hero' status at all. He was a jackass, self-pitying and selfish. Andrew on the other hand seems to genuinely love her. It was very frustrating to see Jason abusing the heroin over and over again. When i thought he couldn't be any more wicked, we goes ahead and do something unimaginable. To me, the story seems unbelievable as I cannot imagine anyone falling for such a wretch.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 24 Feb 2012
i actually bought and read the book due to your review i would not dare to tell you how to think or fell as this is absolutely impossible but unlike you i loved this book and get really frustrated when people scream rape and racism when i read a book of a certain era i want to feel the atmosphere and all it entails many people are offended as the think with their 2012 brain if you think of what that era entailed ofcourse he'd force his rights on her and of course the brits would see the indians as dirty i lived in south africa and they were hated up until Mr Mandela was freed and people are offended about the 1800 or how a guy of the highest nobility stunningly rich extremely handsome 30 years old would force himself on the stunningly beautiful 18 year old? that said i also believe these are what they are stories a few moments of escape in a make believe world like you would enjoy a disney story line even though other would argue cartoons are violent too !!but if we are to take all 2012 political beliefs then where would the escape be and if we were to show the 1800 era noone bathed that often so there you have it these books bring out our own thought and secret wants the rape scenes for me represent that guy we always wanted feared possible by some inexperience at a young age but still hoped in some way to make ours the racism if everyone is really honest out there we all have some form of racism in us it is human nature!!!the poor american guy was also bashed as colonial the brits too as too haughty people should really accept what was true of the era or at least some what !i mean wars were fought between brother and brother nevermind other nations please see the bigger picture here these are not university history books!!!!! i hope books like this continue to be written it was a wonderful a few hours for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars *small spoilers*, 26 Sep 2011
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This was my first Judith McNaught HR and I really enjoyed this.

I actually started it yesterday afternoon and finished it last night, I couldnt put it down.

I was surprised when I saw this book was published in 1987 as it doesnt seem dated apart from the wording of the male anatomy, whereas more modern words are used for that in HR's nowadays. And I have to say I prefer the modern wording to "staff" and "manhood" lol

Victoria and Jason were great characters. There were times when the pair of them were driving me mad and there was the scene of the wedding night that made me want to cry reading it.

Jason wasnt a bad guy. He'd had a pretty bad life. Mistrearted as a child, then gets married to a vain selfish woman who cheats on him all the time. The one light in his life had been his child and the mother inadvertantly killed him and herself.
In comes Victoria who makes him laugh and smile despite himself, and he wants her but he doesnt want to want her. He doesnt want or need anyone. He is happy with his life and keeping mistresses.
I did also get peeved at this point because even tho we know he went to see his mistress once he was married, we never find out if he actually used her services.

Victoria was also a very well written character.....except she seemed to have no flaws, was perfect and could do everything perfectly! She was practically Mary Poppins. I also think she acted a bit of a div on the wedding night, she should have just told him she was nervous (even tho he also should have realised) and after his treatment of her she then wants him back in her bed, and it felt extremely quick. Obviously that night was more traumatic for the reader rather than her character.

I did feel sorry for poor Andrew...but to be married to him and have his mother for a mother-in-law, I think not. I didnt like that he was hurt so bad, but to be honest it wasnt Victoria's fault he should be looking to his mother, the interfering old bat.

With all this though I still couldnt put the book down.
I really loved Jason in the end, he came through and he was a good bloke, just a bit misguided in places and when he did something wrong, he admitted it and generally apologised for his behaviour and tried to make things up to her.
Really was some good writing here, the story was interesting and as soon as I finished this I started the next in the series Something Wonderful

3.0 out of 5 stars Repeated Story Line, 6 Dec 2006
O. Osundina (Colchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once And Always (Paperback)
Ms Judith McNaught is a brilliant writer. She carries her readers through till the end and tells an enjoyable story. However, I have read two of her other books, and it seems to me that this story follows the same pattern as the others unfortunately.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, drawn-out and cliched Melodrama, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Once And Always (Paperback)
The heroine is a feisty virgin from America.

The hero is a 'tormented soul' (read: behaves awfully to the heroine, including two rape scenes).

He is surrounded by people that encourage the daft girl to stay in an abusive relationship because (paraphrasing) 'she is his one and only' and 'true love will cure all' etc etc. Which is absolute rot: if people are encouraged to believe violent mood changes, aggression, finance and wardrobe control are a sign of 'true romance', there is a bad future ahead for a lot of women out there.

The story itself is predictable, long-winded and well, pretty much dreadful.

Please, please find some better romantic role models, and if you're in this kind of relationship, get some support from friends or family and get out.

Once And Always
Once And Always by Judith McNaught (Paperback - 2 Dec 1988)
Used & New from: 0.01