5.0 out of 5 stars A masterfully written historical romance
"Whitney my Love" is a wonderful historical romance set in England during the Regency period. I've read many Regency romances and I've thought Georgette Heyer and Marion Chesney were the leading ladies in this genre. I must admit though that Judith McNaught's novel is just as good as their novels.
I like the style in which the author writes about the era...
Published on 29 July 2002 by ambersaxon696

3.0 out of 5 stars Please - No more "misunderstandings"
I'm really commenting on all Judith McNaught's books, not just this one.

I am so tired of the Judith MacNaught "misunderstandings"! Please make them stop!
I have read a lot of her books and while she is undoubtably a hugely talented writer (Paradise and Perfect were wonderful) her stories have fallen into a completely predictable pattern.

The...
Published on 3 Nov. 2009 by :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Please - No more "misunderstandings", 3 Nov. 2009
I'm really commenting on all Judith McNaught's books, not just this one.

The initial concept behind WML is original and interesting and then the horribly contrived misunderstandings start. At about a quarter of an inch from the end I thought here we go... just enough room for some sort of misunderstanding that will be all cleared up in time for the happy ending.

Every book of hers that I've read follows this same pattern. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy reading them - until the predictable misunderstandings get underway then I start to feel frustrated, the level of which is directly proportional to how contrived each misunderstanding is.

I know it must be tempting to stick to a formula that has worked before but I really wish she could create something a bit, well, more creative. Something that will really have me guessing. Shame that such a talented writer is playing it so safe that I now think there's no point in reading any more of her books because I know vaguely what's going to happen next after I've read the first third of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterfully written historical romance, 29 July 2002
This review is from: Whitney My Love (Paperback)
I like the style in which the author writes about the era and brings its characters fully alive and very colorful.
The main characters are Whitney Stone and Clayton Westmoreland the Duke of Claymore. Whitney is a clumsy hoyden when she is sent to Paris to learn good manners and to conquer society and to find a rich husband.She wants to show to everybody especially her childish first love that she has changed into a beautiful well mannered society lady.
Clayton Westmoreland is rich and handsome and very experienced with the ladies. She literally buys Whitney from her father who values money more than his daughter.Whitney hates him at the beginning, ignores him and fights him all the time but at the end she can't resist Clayton's charm. For Clayton Whitney is a challenge and he vows to make her fall in love with him but he falls for her nearly at the same time.
Both leading characters are very likeable and complicated. Their confrontations are very exciting and enjoyable. Judith McNaught describes the period very well and the reader can imagine being swept back in time and join the characters at their different society gatherings.
There are many Regency romances around but not all of them keep the reader turning the pages faster and faster or staying up all night. "Whitney my Love" is one of those books I will always cherish and read again and again. I recommend it to all historical romance readers.You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars mixed opinions, 1 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Whitney My Love (Paperback)
I loved this book so much... I know some people have some problems with Clayton and his treatment of Whitney, but i think it just shows his vulnerability beneath his strong facade, he is a complete dreamboat... and as for the chuckled complaint.. i thought it added to his character! i didn't find it at all wearying.. but maybe that is just me. this is a book i will always treasure, i have bought it twice now.. thanks to a very cunning thieving sister! and everytime i read it, it makes my heart explode into a million thousand pieces, It is just so beautiful, it draws me to it like a moth to a flame! i get caught every time.... please please please read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite revisited, 1 Sept. 1999
This review is from: Whitney, My Love (Hardcover)
Okay, so I guess I'm a little biased. I've read the original version three times already and couldn't keep my hands off the new version.
In 1820 the Duke of Claymore falls for a "nobody" beautiful Whitney Stone. Realizing that her uncle is turning down every offer, he goes to her father and pays a fortune to become betrothed to her. Whitney is mortified, she's already in love with someone else. As Clayton's luck would have it, things don't work out too well with Whitney's first love and he finds Whitney in his arms.
Oh how I love this book! This book is so wonderful. The new version has several added chapters that, while charming, could have been easily left out.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is unputdownable. Pure class, well done Judith!, 7 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
Once again we are transported from the mundane lives we lead into pure fanstasy. The Duke of Claymore is everything you could ask for in a hero. Whitney is a lovely heroine, this story is by far the best from Judith McNaught.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book is a wonderfuly well written romantic story., 24 Aug. 1999
This review is from: Whitney, My Love (Hardcover)
Judith McNaught is one of my favorite romance writers and I was thrilled when Whitney,My Love was released in hardback. She did a wonderful job taking the story deeper and explaining the situation of other important characters. I was very enjoyable to reread a story that is so dear to my heart. I recommend this book to any romance reader that enjoys being swept away and actually feeling as if you are apart of the story that you are reading. I egerily await Ms. McNaught's next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 24 Feb. 2005
By A Customer
absolutely loved it, i think ive read it nine times! (and that's not counting each time i skipped to my favourite bits!) -whitney when she spars with clayton over the dinner table!!) each time more than the last... i think i may have failed my exams because i spent all my time reading and no time whatsoever revising! i love all McNaught's Historicals, and have read every single one until my eyes wouldn't physically stay open and i realised i hadn't slept for two days!
Simply Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best romantic novel I have ever read., 29 May 2000
This review is from: Whitney My Love (Paperback)
I have read dozens of romantic novels, particularly Johanna Lindsey's and Judith McNaught's, and have loved most of them. This book stands out as being the very best, Clayton and Whitney are adorable. Anyone thinking of buying this book is in for a real treat, just make sure you can free up a day or two to read it, as it is un-putdownable. I am about to purchase Until You, the sequel to the above, in the hope that it will come close to matching the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful romance that captures you and won't let you go!, 22 Aug. 1999
This review is from: Whitney, My Love (Hardcover)
I read this book about 4 years ago and have re-read it about three times! A wonderful romance with a spirited heroine and a masterful, intelligent, and romantic hero. Judith McNaught writes beautifully, making you feel the pain and embarrashment of realizing your first love is not always the best choice. You are a silent observer of Whitney's slow maturing, of her realizing, almost after it's too late, who her true love is. It's a delightful, fast-paced ride. You won't want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC,MAKES YOUR HEART ACHE!!!, 20 Aug. 1999
This review is from: Whitney, My Love (Hardcover)
I READ EVERYTHING MS. MCNAUGHT WRITES AND THIS ONE WAS ENTRANCING. HER CHARACTERS WERE RICH AND FULLY DEVELOPED,AS WERE THE ACCOMPANYING CHARACTERS.CERTAIN PASSAGES WERE SO DESCRIPTIVE THAT THEY BROUGHT THE READER TO EVERY PINNACLE AND DEPTH ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCES. MS. MCNAUGHT HAS ALWAYS GIVEN US VIVID,WILDLY ROMANTIC,HEART ACHINGLY, BELIEVABLE CHARACTERS AND I'M SURE ANYONE WHO READS HER WILL AGREE. THIS BOOK DESERVES AN FIVE STAR REVIEW, OR BETTER IF POSSIBLE. BUY IT! IT'S A KEEPER.

Whitney My Love
Whitney My Love by Judith McNaught (Paperback - Mar. 1987)
Used & New from: £0.01