5.0 out of 5 stars A Wow Book As Far As Quantum Goes
Published on 19 Sept. 2009 by demola

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough going
Yes, this is probably a good buy when you want to discover what quantum physics is about (though I've heard that Taking the Quantum Leap: The New Physics for Non-Scientists by Fred Alan Wolf is a strong competitor). Even so, as Gribbin took me further and further into the quantum thicket, I'm afraid I did lose track.
Maybe it's me. Or maybe the book's not quite what...
Published on 24 July 2008 by Gaston Dorren

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wow Book As Far As Quantum Goes, 19 Sept. 2009
This review is from: In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat: Updated Edition (Paperback)
My first review went AWOL in Amazon's computers so let's hope this makes it through. John Gribbin's ISOSC is the best beginners quantum book I've read to date. As a layman, clear descriptive examples and not too much on the mass, spin and electric charge of umpteen antimatter particles work best or one loses the wood for the trees. Gribbin carefully explains the development and essential building blocks of (and personalities in) quantum mechanics and eventually even on what "spin" might be. I did get lost at Feynman diagrams showing particles moving backward in time but paraphrasing Niels Bohr, if you're not stunned by quantum mechanics then you don't get it. This is a wow book. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An insight into the very fabric of everything..., 6 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
John Gribbin has created an excellent book for anyone vaguely curious about Physics and moreover Quantum Mechanics.
It accurately and succinctly introduces the reader to the alien world of the very small, the world of particle physics and it's associated theory area, Quantum Mechanics. The book details the history of this study area in enough detail to satisfy those with some prior knowledge and yet will also keep the reader that is perhaps new to the Scientific arena interested throughout. Although clearly not a fictional work the "plot" follows the illuminate of Mathematics and Physics who, in the early part of this century, laid the ground work for a hugely productive area of science. It neatly explores sub-plots that highlight supporting narrative about the key figures, the mathematics they used, the air of discovery, political diversions and war across the Lab Benches as classical physics, led by Einstein, sort to push the Quantum lobby to the very limit of absolute understanding.
There are equations and experimental examples but not enough to disrupt a thoroughly good read for people without prior mathematical experience. Perhaps not quite enough for those that crave the quadratic or the matrix mechanic?
A great way to open a fascinating new way of viewing the universe(s)..!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written but not concise enough., 18 Dec. 2000
There is no doubt John Gribbin is one of the best scientific writers around as you'll observe if you read this book and its sequel(Schrodinger's kittens). This book however left me asking more questions because most of the aspects were not covered in detail. In view of this I would recommend this book to anyone slightly curious about quantum physics. You'll find it an exciting read without all the complex calculations and terminologies which I hunger for!

5.0 out of 5 stars For Curious Cats, 3 Oct. 2011
L. Forte - See all my reviews
As a scientist, I wish I found this book years ago, it really is fantastic. For any of you studying A-Level Chemistry, although not obvious, this book is a must. It took me step by step through the history of science and philosophy, and turned those old fusty science names into exciting news. You will recognise names in this book that have been thrown at you in the classroom, and it really does piece together all the things that the patchwork of an A-level syllabus fails to adequately explain. You don't even have to be a scientist to find this enjoyable, only an open mind, and at points, some patience. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction, 21 Jun. 2005
By A Customer
This book is aimed squarely at those who did not do science A-level, and as such I found it a fantastic overview. Lively, funny and jaw-dropping. What more could you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 Feb. 2000
amazeen@islandia.is (Reykjavík , Iceland) - See all my reviews
This book tackles a difficult subject but explanes it so well that noone should have trouble understanding it. Mr Gribbin has done a wonderful job.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction for scientifically minded, 15 July 2001
I bought this book having heard conflicting reviews on whether it was too complicated for the average reader without a scientific background, such as might read A Brief History of Time, or whether it was too easy for those with some science and maths training. As the first book I've read on the subject, it was a good read about the history and basic principles, but I'd have preferred more detail on some aspects, and for it to be more complicated so that I'd have finished with a greater understanding of quantum physics (if that makes sense!) A good read if you want to skim the surface of the subject, but I'll be reading something else to get into the proper maths and equations of the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic introduction to Quantum Physics, 26 Oct. 2006
Charlotte Cooke (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
I am in the same situation as a previous reviewer, studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-Level with the desire to study engineering at a higher level. I decided to read this book in preperation for university admissions interviews.

Contrary to the previous A-Level student's opinion I found John Gribbon's In search of Schrodinger's cat a brilliant read. I felt that the book provided a firm history of the theories simplified in the classroom. It enabled me to further my school studies by discussing the history of scientists such as Boltzman, Avagadro, Newton, Einstein and Planck, all of whom I had already encountered, and firmly asserted their place in modern day Physics.

Admittedly I am not overly competent at Science but I found the book to be, when I set my mind to it, straightforward and understandable. Admittedly there were a few points at which I had to flick back a few pages just to make sure I had grasped the concepts Gribbin was explaining but that was half the beauty of the book.

Personally I thouroughly enjoyed reading about Schrodinger's Cat and and I eagerly await the arrival of my copy of the sequel Schrodinger's Kittens. If you have a newly developed interest in the basics of quantum mechanics and are unsure of how to begin this is a fantastic start and if you already know the basics it is still a very enjoyable read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything You Want To Know About PHYSICS!, 19 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
If you want to know more about the world Of physics.. READ IT...
You don't need abny prior knowledge ... and even if you do know something about physics you will love this anyway...
A Must have.. as thrilling as a novel and more educational than a physics textbook.. I give you my personal guarantee!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough going, 24 July 2008
Maybe it's me. Or maybe the book's not quite what it's cracked up to be. Still, I feel it was worth the try. And I must grant the author this: at every step, he's very clear about what he's doing and where's he's leading you.

In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat: Updated Edition
In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat: Updated Edition by John Gribbin (Paperback - 1985)