Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 October 2006
"Dragondrums" is the third book in Anne McCaffery's "Harper Hall Trilogy" and is set on the world of Pern. Three years have now passed since "Dragonsinger", when Menolly first arrived at the Harper Hall. She remains a favourite of Masterharper Robinton, an still enjoys the company of her nine fire lizards. However, there have been some changes. Now a journeyman, she is much more confident and no-one questions her place at the Hall : in fact, she now seems to hold a certain amount of authority. However, although Menolly appears in "Dragondrums", she isn't the central character : this book tells the story of her friend and ally, Piemur.

"Dragondrums" begins with a disaster, albeit one that wasn't entirely unexpected : Piemur's voice breaks. As a result, his career as a singer has to be put on hold - something that also costs him his position as Shonagar's apprentice. Despite his initial fears, Piemur soon finds himself apprenticed to the Masterharper himself and working, at times, with Menolly and Sebell - another journeyman. As his tasks for Robinton will not be public news, however, he will officially be apprenticed to Olodkey, the Hall's drummaster. Although delighted with the prestige of working for Robinton, and hopeful that his work will include a visit to the Southern Continent, things aren't altogether easy for Piemur, His new classmates on the drum level make his life as difficult as they possible can - and his missions for Robinton are not without their peril.

Although the final book in the Harper Hall trilogy, "Dragonsong" didn't really seem to 'fit' - partly because the focus has shifted from Menolly to Piemur, and partly because it didn't really bring any `ending' to the trilogy. Although Menolly does appear in a supporting role, there were some loose <ahem> Threads that could've been dealt with and were ignored. I also thought Piemur's choices at the end of the book were a little strange, given everything that had been so important to him up until that point. However, like the previous two instalments, this is an easily read and enjoyable book that contains, for me, a stronger adventure element.
on 1 October 2014
Carrying on the tale of Menolly where the other two left this book focuses more on her interrelationships with others but especially Piemur and his travails. In fact the book could almost be called 'The coming of age of Piemur'

Introducing more characters and some of the political machinations of Pern the story has a strong, and for me more interesting, narrative. The characters and story, even if sometimes simplistically naive, are well observed and interesting.

I realise that I may not be the ideal demographic for reading this book but would recommend it to all those interested in this genre or a good old fashioned tale
on 11 June 2009
Very please with this book been reading the series and gripped story very Entertaining. The book itself arrived in very good condition, will be buying the next in the series soon.
on 6 September 2014
When Piemuir of the Harper Hall reaches puberty and his voice breaks he has not idea of the things that will happen to him. Renown for his beautiful soprano voice Piemuir is afraid that he will not be suitable as a Harper anymore. this book follows Piemuirs travels from the Drum heights to the other side of pern ending up as a drum messenger in Southern Hold always working for the Masterharper Pienuir survives thread hodless and impresses a fire lizard and saves a newborn runner from thread on his way. An impressive story, with the characters from the Dragon Song and Dragon Singer books
on 6 April 2016
Premier the brilliant young singers voice breaks at the worst time while he is rehearsing for a musical written specially for him. He turns out to be quite a good spy having been in the habit of keeping his ears open.

While listening in the hood of a dying lord he steals a queen egg and is accidentally transported to the southern continent. Anne Mccaffry is backtracking in time from the previous two books and filling in some gaps for us from another characters point of view.
on 10 February 2014
One thing which am not happy about is I wish they were in proper order most of the ones have been but I am reading atm the Moreta one and it does not have any of the people in I have read in the others it is almost as if it was a really early one. My amazon Kindle which my friends bought for me has a black spot on it which the cable guy said was something wrong with pixels. I won't buy the next one from online that is for sure. Pam
on 22 June 2015
PERN got me through University many years ago. The years have not changed my love for the writing, the storyline - the very world itself. Such a shame that Anne McCaffrey is no longer with us but I know that I can pick up any one of her stories and be magically transported to the fabulous world she created.
on 13 October 2013
Still enjoyed rereading this book on kindle nearly as much as I did when I read it years ago. mow it will not fill my book case, and have to be dusted.
Using a kindle I can reed in bed and have no light on. So I can read as long as I like.
Still love turning the pages of a new book
on 16 December 2012
I had every Dragonbook in paperback and now I can have them on Kindle, with me to dip in and out of as I wish! Anne mcCaffrey has created a full, rich wonderful world. I would live there, even with its dangers. One book will not be enough. Save up and get them all!
on 27 January 2013
Absoluteley love all of the Dragon books. Can always get lost in the storylines. spending more time reading than intended. First read over 20 years ago but still enjoy them just as much with every re reading. If you enjoy scifi fantasy, you'll love this series.