5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely moving, absorbing and powerful true story., 29 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
An extremely moving, absorbing and powerful true story.
Stan Telchin in answering a telephone call from his daughter Judy received the worst possible message that a Jewish father could hear from his beloved daughter. The words that revealed that she had accepted Jesus as the Messiah.
To his eternal credit, Stan Telchin did not choose the path of so many in isolating and disowning his daughter. Instead he chose the path of love and tried to fully investigate her beliefs with a clear goal of trying to systematically disprove any element of truth that Judy might have in believing Jesus to be the Jewish Messiah.
Stan's studies were in depth and lengthy. The story follows him in his goal and surrounds an extremely dramatic family story in seeking out the very roots and foundations of their Jewish faith.
Stan decided to ask himself a number of questions along his journey, such as 'can a Jew accept Jesus as the Messiah and remain a Jew'.
Five other basic questions formed the basis of his enquiries;-
1) Do I believe that God really exists ?
2) Do I believe that the Jewish Bible (The Tenach) is the divinely inspired word of God ?
3) Does this Bible prophesy about a coming Messiah ?
4) Is Jesus the Messiah ?
5) If he is, what does that do to me ?
Follow Stan Telchin as he pours over the Scriptures and the history of the Jewish people and their relationship with Christians through the ages. See how he comes to terms with the hostility of many elements of the so-called Christian church, the anti-Semitism emanating from so many, and his arrival at the Truth.
Stan, despite being the ultimate critic and with such a heart-felt agenda to restore his Jewish daughter from Christianity, finds that he too can only arrive at one decision. That being that all the Scriptures and all the prophesies can only prove one thing...Jesus is in fact who He says He is...the Messiah.
Stan's acceptance of this fact and the birth of his own Christian/Messianic faith (or however you wish to describe it) is treated with hostility by the vast majority of his Jewish 'friends' and he finds isolation and hatred amongst those who once accepted him with open arms.
This is an enthralling story. Beautifully written and can be read in one day. Do yourself a favour and get this book, irrespective of your religion or faith. Everyone could do with studying the examples of those described herein. Best wishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book. read it in 2 sittings, 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
This was a good book to take on holiday of one woman's journey to find the truth. Well written and easy to read I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Book Will Keep For Life, 14 Mar 2010
T. Ennis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
This book contain many Biblical prophecies to back up the evidence that Jesus Christ is the Messiah. Also a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Betrayed by Stan Telchin, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
A MUST read for every Christian and non Christian. Life changing. Don't miss it. A gripping true story you won't forget and will want to pass on to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
I wish I had known about this book earlier as it certainly makes you think.

I only found out about this book through a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars I asked God about the Jews, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
Let me tell you a story of six years ago when I asked God a question about the Jews.

I am a born again Christian (since the age of 42) and had just seen the film, The Last Jews in Berlin, based on the true life book of the same name by Leonard Gross. Therein, we see a Jew surviving so many potentially deadly situations, so many that I thought that God might have personally intervened in saving his life. I was so moved that I asked the Lord if He would comment to me on whether the Jews have a head start over us gentiles when it comes to salvation and being allowed into heaven. I asked this because all true Christians are very aware of God's love for the Jews. I waited for His answer.

Now at that time, I was a long term member of a Pentecostal church (Stirling, Scotland) and the following Sunday, the pastor had asked me to preach. Typically, we would sing about 9-10 songs then the person preaching gets up and gives us a sermon for 45 minutes. Usually, the person preaching gives a list of the songs he wants played to the leader of the band a week in advance. The band is very accomplished and knows many, many songs and I gave him a list of 9 songs I personally liked, 5 of them were quite strongly of a new testament theme while the other 4 had a distinct Jewish flavour and they were in no specific order, a jumble of them all mixed up. My sermon had no connection to the Jews at all, indeed, I had told no one about my prayer to God a week before.

On the Sunday, I was surprised that the band leader had reorganised them into the 5 Christian songs first with the Jewish ones second. I was even more surprised that the pastor stood up after the 5th song had ended and said that she felt God saying that we were to stop singing there. Such an interruption had never happened before or after. Neither the band leader nor the pastor knew anything of my request to God the week before. Immediately, I knew that God had answered my question in His immaculate way.

His answer was that when it comes to salvation and going to heaven, there are no favourites, the same rules apply to all people. Jews have no special advantage. I felt very good about this as it shows that God is totally and completely fair. No one, by accident of birth over which we have no control (that is, race, gender, family, nationality, period of time of birth etc.), has any advantage. Therefore, an Amazonian Indian living in the 14th century had the same chance of going to heaven as a Jew born in Jerusalem in 20th century. And they had the same chance as, say, a British woman living in the 21st century. It is through Jesus Christ that salvation is totally fair for all, the Bible says: There is no longer Jew or gentile, male or female, we are all one in Jesus Christ.

I believe this to be crucial as once you die, you will go forward into eternity according to the decisions you have made in this life (there is no coming back to change your mind if you have found out you're wrong!!). Therefore, I put it to you that all people should take time out of their lives, say 6 months, to really see for themselves if Jesus' claims are true. His main claim is that He is the one and only way to God the father in heaven. The New Testament revolves around this truth.

Jeremiah showed us the heart of God to ordinary people (Jeremiah 29:13-14) that if you seek God (not a religion!) with all your heart, you will meet Him. Jesus said exactly the same thing in John 14:21 where He promised to reveal Himself personally (one to one) to anyone who seeks Him. Have the courage to sit down and slowly read the New Testament and ask God to reveal to you divinely if Jesus really is the way. Our God will therefore be with you all the way.

Simon Forth

4.0 out of 5 stars betayed, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
good delivey nicely packed very good and interesting book have lent to a friend too and she thought it gave very mcuh food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars The link between Judaism and Christianity simply explained, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
Stan Telchin writes of his own exploration of the Christian faith when his daughter became a Christian. Initially shocked by what his daughter had done he wanted to be able to logically reason that she was totally wrong. However, he starts seeing the links between the Torah and the Bible and the need to accept Jesus as the Messiah. The book was very readable. Over the years I have given away a number of copies to Jewish people with enquiring minds, or Christians who wanted a simple insight into the Jewish/Christian tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Betrayed by Stan Telchin, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
Read this book years ago.Easy to read . Found this memoir encouraging and helpful, both from a Christian point of view and for anyone searching for the truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Betrayed! (Paperback)
My Evangelical Christian friend gave this book to me and enthused about the "powerful" story- a poor misguided Jewish father begrudgingly comes to terms with his daughter's conversion to Christianity while she's away attending college.

Daddy tries to reason with her- Hey honey! Judaism is the only way! (she tells him that Jesus has saved her)

He gets his pals involved- Please help me! My daughter has gone crazy! (they ain't got a clue what to do)

He goes to the rabbi- Please, my daughter is nuts! She's rejecting our culture (the rabbi says he has no idea why Jews believe what they do, it's just traditional)

He goes to every rabbi in the state- You gotta help me! My daughter thinks that Jesus has saved her (every rabbi in the state shrugs and says they have no idea why Jesus is not actually the messiah as described in scriptural prophecy. It's just what Jews do.)

REALLY??? REEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLY???

That's hilarious.

I'm a hardcore atheist and even I can tell you why Jews don't accept Jesus as the "messiah". It's because he absolutely DOES NOT FIT the scriptural prophecy. Did Jesus observe the Torah? Uh-uh! I don't think so! Was Jesus a direct descendant of David through the male line? Nope. Was he sovereign of Israel? Did he gather Jews to Israel from the four corners of the earth? Did he bring peace to the whole world? Boo-yah!

Funny funny funny read. Buy it for laughs. It's total nonsense.

Betrayed!
Betrayed! by Stan Telchin (Paperback - 28 Nov 1994)
Used & New from: 0.01