5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reference book
The only copy I have seen of this book before purchasing was sealed so I had no idea of the contents. I was pleasantly surprised as the book is very useful and easy to navigate. It was also half the price which makes it excellent value!
Published on 8 Jan 2012 by Jaws

1.0 out of 5 stars no good, sorry
I bought the kindle version but it took 7 minutes to find "Composers" because there is no search function. I have returned the item for a refund. This is a shame because it is an excellent book. My paper version is very tatty through overuse. Take note Chambers and add the facility to search.
Published 5 months ago by Dr. Jennifer Ward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent reference book, 8 Jan 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Are Stuck, This Is The Answer, 20 Feb 2012
Tony Fisher (Bearsted, Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This wonderful dictionary is so good that it really feels like cheating. If you think you know the defining word in a clue, look it up in this dictionary. It sorts the possible synonyms into word length and then alphabetically. It beats Roget hands down and is much quicker to use.

For example, if the answer is a girl's name, look up "girl" and it will give over a page of names from "Di" (2 letters) to "Wilhelmina" (10 letters). Did you know that there was a dance called a "boogaloo"? I didn't; but its in the book.

We use this book when stuck on the Guardian Cryptic crossword. This is the quick and easy way to finish off your crossword.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST CROSSWORD DICTIONARY, 17 May 2013
This Kindle Fire edition of The Chambers Crossword Dictionary,I found, is initially difficult to navigate and practice is required to be able to use the book with the same ease as the paper edition. This crossword dictionary, I feel, is the best on the market, it is easy to use, very comprehensive, clear and precise. A must for any crossword addict.

1.0 out of 5 stars no good, sorry, 25 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars The book for Cryptic Crossword Solvers, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Dictionary (Hardcover)
I enjoy crosswords and in latter years have been attempting cryptic crosswords and have found the book invaluable and extremely easy to use. I may not be able to solve all the clues yet but with the help of the Dictionary I can solve up to 55% of the clues. It also explains how cryptic crosswords are compiled and once you grasp what the compiler is thinking it becomes easier to solve the clues

1.0 out of 5 stars chambers crossword dictionary, 23 Jan 2013
downloaded the digital version to windows 8 tablet- but there is no functionality to do a search, so I am faced with turning page by page. Simply useless

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition poor in comparison with paper version, 30 Sep 2013
Content is good, but the search routine where you look for a certain word throws up EVERY occurrence of the word. This leaves you searching sometimes as many as 70 pages, to find the thesaurus page, giving crossword options for your required word. Am I missing something?

3.0 out of 5 stars meaty with some gristle, 24 Aug 2013
There is a great deal of depth to the dictionary, but it is not so easy to find what you are looking for. Imagination is needed. I will get there, I am determined. I hope to grow to love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crossword solver, 30 July 2013
H. Hoaran "zoid" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Dictionary (Hardcover)
This is good but the chambers dictionary and thesaurus are more comprehensive for crossword addicts.advantage is it is a smaller book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Crossword dictionary, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Dictionary (Hardcover)
More complex than average dictionary. Very informative. Like groupings of subjects being together. Clear printing. It will increase my word power.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Chambers Crossword Dictionary
The Chambers Crossword Dictionary by Chambers (Ed.) (Hardcover - 24 Aug 2012)
Used & New from: 69.50