The book covers around 100 crafts with about 3 pages each. I expected it to be superficial and poorly written, the sort of thing you get in the local paper.

Published on 21 Jan 2009 by Mr. R. Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Crafts in Brief
Published on 28 Aug 2010 by John Grimbaldeston

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Crafts in Brief, 28 Aug 2010
John Grimbaldeston (Preston, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills (Paperback)
I bought this because I work as a voluntary helper in a Museum of Country Life and am occasionally asked questions on subjects I know little about, and so this handy reference is ok, if a little superficial, and lacking further explanatory illustrations after an original one; the description of clog making, for instance, needs further illustration, especially pictures of the various tools of the clogger. It is, though, nicely produced and wittily written, and in the most part complements the exhibits and their interpretive panels and so serves its purpose for me: it is just a little thin on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and researched, a pleasure to read and a bargain., 21 Jan 2009
Mr. R. Wood "robin wood" (Edale, Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews

In fact each craft gets a very accurate and concise summary with interesting anecdotes. The range chosen is interesting and the author clearly has a deep personal understanding and interest in many of the crafts described, or maybe she is just a very good researcher and writer.

As someone who has worked full time in the traditional crafts for 15 years and read everything that has been written from Cobbet and Morris to Yanagi, Leach and Pye I still learnt quite a few things from this book. I particularly enjoyed the section on traditional boat building, despite working in woodland crafts and before that traditional forestry I could not fault the sections on copicing, hedge laying green wood crafts, clogmaking etc. I read the first and only plausible explanation I have seen of how to tickle a trout and good descriptions of eel catching too.

The book is not as deep as Dorothy Hartley's 1939 classic "Made in England"
but is probably much better suited to the modern reader.

I would heartily recommend it and shall be buying several copies as gifts, good price for a nice hardback too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost Crafts, 23 Mar 2009
Loida (La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain) - See all my reviews
The book is excellent. Very good quality paper and cover. Beautiful photos. It shows briefly the main things to know about an endless list of crafts, and their history. Of course, as the list is so long, it doesn't go into full detail, so if you want to practice some of these crafts, you'll still need to look for a bit more detail somewhere else, but it does show the basics quite clearly. Great to have and look at!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of subjects, 20 Jan 2009
A very well written introduction to crafts that have been lost either through improvements in technology or the ease of just going and buying things rather than making them.

I found every craft addressed interesting, although some of them I'm unlikely to try such as the building techniques. The easiest ones to try yourself are the cookery crafts such as making cider, lemonade, barley sugars and the like.

The author doesn't go into great detail into how to actually do all of the crafts, but this strikes me as being because they are easier to learn by showing than writing about them. There is plenty of things you can actually try anyway.

It is also quite a well made book, the the paper quality design and pictures all blend nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills (Paperback)
What an amazing book. All the lost crafts you ever dreamed about and more are in this book. I found this extremely interesting and useful and my young grandson equally so. It has woken new interests for him.Fully reccommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Crafts, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills (Paperback)
I bought this book as a present but ended up reading it myself. what a gem. It has lots of interesting snippets of information which whet the appetite and start one off on a craft idea. I am going to follow some of them up and now look for further how to do information. It makes a wonderful bedside or coffee table book.Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills

1.0 out of 5 stars A catalogue of crafts, nothing more, 4 Mar 2010
Ms. Emma Slade (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
When I saw this book, I was really excited thinking that it would be a book giving instructions and advice on undertaking all these "lost crafts". Turns out it is nothing more than a catalogue of lost crafts with occasional descriptions on how to make stuff and even those instructions were quite paltry.

If you want a list of bygone crafts, then this is an OK book (although I still think the John Seymour book is more informative and better written) but if you are looking for a guide on these crafts, look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars what a waste of money, 5 Jan 2009
C. Johnson (uk) - See all my reviews
I was really excited to find this book and could not wait to read it and learn some new skills. Unfortunately however it is more a description of the crafts themselves and their history, than a guide to how to do them. Each craft is described in general detail with some interesting sociology/history thrown in, but nowhere is there a practical 'how to' guide to teach yourself.

At the end of each topic the names of places you might go to learn these skills is given, for me this resulted in a book that was part historical dictionary and part telephone address book. If you are the type of person who wants to read about historical crafts then this is the book for you.... If like me you actually want to learn the crafts yourself, then you will be very dissapointed.

My advice would be borrow a copy from your library, copy down all the relevant addresses and spend your money going on the 'how to' courses!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book - will make you feel like losing yourself in nature for a long time, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills (Paperback)
its full of old school crafts that make you feel like up and leaving your modern life to go out into the woods and try, including making fire from scratch and fixing your own dry stone wall. lots of categories for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have a copy of this book!, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills (Paperback)
I came across this book quite by accident & decided to buy a copy for my Dad's birthday - I'm now going to buy a copy for myself!! Once I started flicking through the pages I couldn't put it down; there were so many interesting things covered - some I'd never use, but lots that I'd like to try. In fact I know quite a few folk I'd happily buy this as a Christmas present for.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills
Lost Crafts: Rediscovering Traditional Skills by Una McGovern (Paperback - 26 Jun 2009)
Used & New from: 5.97