5.0 out of 5 stars My go to book for Cryptic Crosswords
Published 10 months ago by PhotosBySimonH

3.0 out of 5 stars The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary
Bought for my mum, she is not impressed as the unusual words which are not in her vocabulary are also not here.
Published 24 months ago by Thomas Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars My go to book for Cryptic Crosswords, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
Fabulous companion for people who like cryptic crosswords. I'm just starting out and this book is the one I go to first and is invaluable to help me solve the grid. It is my first choice book as the printed version has the "answers" in length order first. For cryptics I feel is more useful because often for a bits'n'pieces clue I find myself looking for a 2 or 3 letter word for something in the wordplay.

I also have the Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary which is also good and sometimes has additional words in but the "answers" are in alphabetical order, if I were to just have one printed book I would choose the Chambers. Bizzarely though the Kindle version of the Bradford book the "answers" are ordered by the number of letters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
I find this dictionary to be the best available. Much better than my previous edition (hardback) of the Chambers and better than the Bradford which can be a pain with its refusal to separate into word lengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you are serious about cryptics , buy it., 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
This is the best friend of any crossword solver.Simply superb.If you haven;t got one you are not serious about cryptic crosswords.
Buy one now if you like cryptics.No other thesaurus can compare .I'd been struggling and after I purchased this book , my level of solving soared.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now as good as the opposition, 12 Sep 2012
Peter Biddlecombe "peterbiddlecombe" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
I owned the (2000) first edition of this dictionary and thought it was some way behind the similar one produced by Anne R Bradford. Now the two are pretty much equal, based on a quick look at a copy I've owned for one day. The list of rivers is now trimmed so that extremely unlikely ones like Guadalquivir are not listed, and the information for each headword seems roughly the same amount as Bradford, though there are differences in what is and isn't there. This one is a bit more helpful when you know the word-length you need. Everything in this book is sorted first by word length, but some content in Bradford is in dictionary-style alpha order instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dictionary, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
I have previously mused a similar named dictionary which was an odrdinary dictionary with added syninyms in oredr of number of latters as is this one but the one I have now purchased has a more extensive lits in many cases and, after a , after severak days of use is giving a wider range of possibles; I am sure it will assist in future crosswords over a few years. I have not tried the elctronic versions and at 89 I am unlikely to do so now.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
Very helpful for crosswords and very informative. The Chambers crossword book is good value for money. Very pleased with purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword Addicts, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
If, like me you are a puzzle addict, then this book is a must have. Thank you it's brilliant. C

4.0 out of 5 stars No crossword problems now for my husband, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
My husband is addicted to crosswords and this addition will help him a lot. It is a good supplement to 'ordinary' dictionaries

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
easy to use, good size as it do not take up much room as the one i had before was bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
This is a perfect crossword companion.

The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary
The Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary by Chambers (Ed.) (Paperback - 31 Aug 2012)