on 12 May 2014
If you have a friend or relative who buries themselves in cryptic or general knowledge crosswords then this book is a fantastic present.

The name is slightly misleading as it covers a much wider range of information that just phrase and fable and I know that the name has put a couple of people off until they have opened it and been lost in interesting information for half an hour at a time! The 19th edition includes information on crowdsourcing and cyberpunks which feature in very few fables I have heard!

It contains a wide range of useful information and backgrounds and it is almost impossible to go into for a single piece of information without getting distracted by something else that seems interesting and spending time reading well written and interesting information on a subject that you didn't even know you were interested in.

A strong recommendation.
on 11 December 2012
The book arrived quickly and well packed. Even though hardback it is not too heavy.
It is full of interesting information and facts to keep all ages enthralled. I bought it for my 60 yr
old brother but wish I had got it or myself.
on 5 February 2013
I had never heard of Brewers dictionaries, but came across the name while writing a review for another work. A little research revealed this, (and other volumes which I eventually got from AbeBooks), and so I took the plunge. The book is a mine of information, as the description on its page explains, stuff that is available elsewhere, but not usually collected for convenience. I believe it will be useful to me for years to come.
on 8 July 2013
I have had a copies since the 1960's, when I was first introduced to this must have book.
As an Hotelier/Publican it solved many a question and stopped several arguments.
I gave this copy to a colleague of mine, who was suitably impressed.
No one can consider themselves civilised unless they have a copy on their bookshelves.
The Wallet.
While relaxing and reading my evening repertoire of the 1 million best books, I periodically, crossed a person a place or phrase that somehow missed my reading repertoire. When this happens I reach for my copy of "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable."

Finding what I'm looking for, I'm happy to know that I usually got it right. Looking up such phrases as "Cracker Barrel philosophy", I cannot help glance at "cracked pots last the longest." Once in a while I can stomp Brewer"s with such phrases as " cover her face mine eyes dazzle she died young."

For people who suggest that you can find just about anything on the net that is true. However the net does not have a tactile feel and easy index; what's more is having to trust his credibility.

So have hours, days, months, years, looking up your favorite phrase and fable.
on 7 May 2013
Just a wonderful source of information, including much that you didn't realise you wanted to know.
Great for resolving arguments and producing "factoids" to show how clever you are.
Can be dipped into at any time for an enjoyable and informative read.
on 4 January 2013
This was a Christmas present for a friend, it has been very much enjoyed, it it fun whilst also being educational and so much better to have a 'real' book to put down and pick up as and when you want to. Great talking point as well. Anything that is 'knowledge', fun and a talking point just has to be good. And..........a real Book!
on 6 January 2013
Bought this book for my mother for her birthday as she likes to have various reference books to hand so she can do her crosswords. Within a couple of hours of opening her present she had solved 2 clues to her crossword so we were both very impressed and happy!
on 28 March 2013
I own several Brewer's dictionaries,and find them really fascinating.The amount of information they contain is immense,and once you pick one of these books up,you just won't want to put it down.
on 27 December 2012
I bought this as a Christmas present. In our large family we just buy one present in a secret Santa (children excempt) - and this was spot on. Ordered and bought without any hassle. Thanks