We usually use the Concise Oxford Dictionary but I bought this version to keep on the bookshelf. It's obviously going to be more comprehensive than a 'concise' version, but even so, I really like this new dictionary and am pleased to have it as an addition to the family reference selection. Beware though - it has all sorts of profanities included - as my teenage sons eagerly comfirmed *Rolls eyes*
on 21 December 2011
Excellent dictionary.They say books are on the way out but you will never replace the feel and quality of this book.Again excellent.
on 2 September 2012
Our third Chambers Dictionary in the last 40 years, the last one has started to fall apart from so much use [ it was a paper back ]. Even easier to use thanks to the thumb index, and very up to date, it continues to improve, also easier to read with clearer typeface.
on 5 March 2013
The only real problem for me is the very thin paper it is printed on, not good for old fingers. Of course, were it on thicker stock,it would be even heavier- another problem for the arthritic. Perhaps if it were in two volumes? So; I like it.
on 18 February 2012
It's a great dictionary but why did I think I needed a thumb index version? I know my alphabet and don't even look at the indents to find a word - they just make the edges of the pages a bit like holey cheese. Also shame about the lack of the name meaning section in earlier versions and why put the reference pages in the middle of the dictionary?
on 11 June 2012
I have had The Chambers Dictionary for many years and dictionaries do not come better than this. It tramples the opposition and is printed superbly on top quality paper. I like both The Word Lover's Miscellany in the middle and "phrases and quotations from foreign languages" at the end which I try and master off-by-heart. Sad, I know, and it includes also the Old Scots words "cludgie" and "stocious", both of which are favourite words of mine to this day. I never go to the bathroom, lavatory, toilet or loo - I go always to the cludgie - and, when I see someone the worse of wear through drink, he is never drunk, just stocious. Personally, I might spell cludgie as cludgy and cludgies as plural but there you are!

Another two favourite Old Scots words are included also, "shoogly" and "stushie". Brilliant words of description although "stushie" would never be seen on its own and would be described always as "a right stushie".
on 13 February 2014
This dictionary was bought to replace my old Chambers dictionary printed in 1972. It was everything I wanted in a dictionary...thin pages, thumb index, large and heavy with a lovely smell of book. And obviously with all the modern words added and lots of other unexpected information which will no doubt come in useful. I would always recommend the Chambers dictionary which to my mind is the best.
on 30 December 2013
This is a superb dictionary - in my opinion it is the best on the market! The thumb index is extemely useful, the quality of the book is outstanding and there is also a new, useful section in the centre pages for crossword-ers! Fanatasic buy!
on 3 July 2013
There's little one can say - it's a first-rate dictionary with useful additions. Chambers should start selling the cd version again as the word search capability of that was awesome.
on 19 January 2013
The best dictionary for crossword addicts. Indispensable if Azed or the like are your addiction. It is also the best family dictionary that I have come across.