on 15 September 2008
This is a fantastically fun picture book! A brilliantly tongue twisting story which is great fun to read. The real joy of this book is in the illustrations though - they are energetic and effortless at the same time and complement the writing beautifully. My baby niece loved looking at the pictures and the older children loved spotting all the action on each page. A highly recommended read that you wont tire of!
on 16 February 2009
I bought this book for my two year old a few weeks ago and already it's one of her firm favourites, even though the text is a bit too much for me to read through as she paces through the story, turning page after page to follow the bubble's progress.
In the book, little Mabel blows a bubble and causes her little brother all kinds of trouble as he floats over their town. We have great fun as my daughter identifies every character on each page (as someone in our family, a hobby of hers) as the illustrations are great and keep her attention throughout.
Luckily, Mabel's brother is saved as so there's always relief at the end, and usually a demand to start again! A super read.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 January 2015
4.5 stars

I HAD to try reading this when I saw it. My son loves bubbles (what small child doesn't) so what he misses in comprehension he made up for in enjoyment of watching a baby stuck in a bubble flying higher and higher until...

It's deliciously twisty read for a grown up to read, it rolls around the mouth, challenges your mind, tongue and sanity as you attempt to tell the story of the bubble baby and those anxiously following him.

The names, the flow, the rhythm are all brilliant. It definitely does go over the head of the youngest children but my son certainly still enjoyed it and could tell me what was going on.

Also loved the wonderful Polly Dunbar's drawings.

Not one for every parent, but if you're brave enough to get your tongue tied into knots, its a wonderfully witty picture book, for 3-8 year olds.
on 22 September 2013
One of the funniest, cleverest, most beautifully written children's books we've come across. A pleasure to read aloud and our 3-and-a-half year old committed bits of it to memory! Generally anything that Polly Dunbar is involved in is great, but here her illustrations are just perfect for Margaret Mahy's words. Buy it!
on 25 January 2009
This is such a lovely book and the flow of the text has a great rhythm to it is, it really is a joy to read! My 2 yr old son loves listening to it and looking at the beautiful pictures.
on 5 February 2009
Bubble Trouble by Margaret Mahy.
This is a charmingly illustrated book for 2 year olds. The colours are soft and gentle. The humour is great fun and the rhymes are marvellous.
on 20 October 2011
This is a funny rhyming story we used to read to our children many years ago. We were very pleased to find we could replace a lost copy so I can now read it to the children I look after. Its a good sharing book with a sometimes tongue twisting rhyme which can be a challenge to read out loud.
on 10 January 2011
I thought it was funny that the other reviews focused on the drawings. They're nice, but what I love about this book is the fantastically playful language! I love words, and I love playing with words and it's obvious that the writer feels the same way. It's a joy to read aloud.
on 20 July 2013
Did not enjoy this story despite it winning an award/being by M Mahy. Was a little too wordy, and I thought would not be something my toddler would enjoy.

Ending up sending it to the local charity shop.
on 15 August 2011
An absolute romp of a tale that uses wonderful language and aliteration, matched with delightful illustrations! My little girl loves this. (I think I love it even more)!