5.0 out of 5 stars How the ancients really saw the stars!, 9 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
Every year I buy this remarkable book for presents. Nobody has been disappointed. With it everyone can see the constellations, as I am sure ancient people originally did. The diagrams and accompanying text are brilliantly concise and stimulating. It certainly inspired me to look up at night, for over thirty years. Incredibly original. A classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestial Cartography, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
I can heartily recommend this book to anyone interested in astronomy. It isn't an easy subject to grasp. Here, Rey makes it comparatively simple. If you've ever looked at the night sky, only been able to find the Dipper and felt confused and a touch saddened, then this book is for you.

There's no doubt about it, Rey knew his science. However, he was considerate enough to only bring that in later after he had explained how to find his reworked constellations. Instead of looking up at the sky and seeing a geometric mess, Rey teaches you how to see Leo as a Lion and Gemini as two stick figures. And that's not all. He can show you how to tell the time using the stars, something I never thought I'd be able to learn

I'm not very good at writing reviews so it's difficult to do Rey's work justice. Perhaps it's enough for me to say that this book has made me an amateur astronomer instead of a helpless stargazer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted! Great for Teenagers, 23 Mar 2010
R. L. Hamill (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
A little boring on the cover...but this book is fantastic. Trying to find a present for a young teenager interested in the night sky has been difficult- this book fills the gap between children's books and the scientific manual type of books I had been finding. It is written simply and easily and the diagrams are very clear and well set out.Ideal for slightly younger readers and beginners...exactly what I wanted! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a new way to see the stars, 16 April 2013
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
When this book first came out I thought it was fantastic: at last, the constellations in shapes that made sense.
When I found it was still available I had to have it, and I like it just as much as when I first read it.
I would recommend this to anyone, young or old, who wants to make sense of all the stars in the sky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little book, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
I got this book after hearing a review of it on one of the star gazing forums. I wanted something that would explain the constellations and the complexity of the celestial sphere etc.This book is fantastic, the author explains everything really well making it easy to understand the constellations and the other complex subjects in astronomy.Its also full of lovely little drawings that I really like its almost as if some one read my mind and created the perfect book for understanding the stars.If like me you are confused by the constellations and things like the celestial sphere then I cant recommend this book highly enough. I have lots of books on astronomy but this one is in constant use. Worth its weight in gold!

5.0 out of 5 stars the stars a new way to see them, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
I have just brought this for my 7 year old who has just started a fascination of the stars. This book is really easy to understand very well written with lots of different pictures, we are just going to buy a telescope with the hope to see many more stars illustrated in the book well done H.A. Rey

5.0 out of 5 stars First point of reference, 3 Jan 2013
Excellent book. Over 40 years ago as a child I used to have this almost on permanent loan from the library. Numerous diagrams and drawings with easy to understand explanations are what attracted me as a child and now as an adult I'm still learning from this book. So glad I now have my own copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
It's written by an American and it's a different way of looking at the constellations. I found it really helpful and interesting and I shall be taking it with me on a boating holiday. We're stuck for space on a boat so the fact that I'm finding room for it says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the novice star gazer, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
This really is a super book, it clearly explains the subject in an interesting and engaging manner. I would defintely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the night skies. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 7 April 2012
This review is from: The Stars: A New Way to See Them (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book for all those wanting to know more about the stars and how to identify the constellations, easy to follow and inspiring. Good for all ages.

The Stars: A New Way to See Them
The Stars: A New Way to See Them by H. A. Rey (Paperback - 27 Oct 2008)