4,524 Reviews
 (3,769)

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book
This time last week I had not heard of the Hunger Games trilogy. I was happy and content in my oblivious state too but it all changed very quickly! My Facebook page went Crazy on Saturday with talk about the movie and how fantastic it was, how it was true to the books and generally there was a buzz in the virtual atmosphere! My curiousity was aroused and I googled "Hunger...
Published on 29 Mar. 2012 by GH26

3.0 out of 5 stars Battle Royale for the Twilight generation
I ignored this book for a long time on the basis that I felt it sounded too similar to Battle Royale. However I have finally got round to reading it, and am glad I did -whilst there are plenty of flaws, this is a fast paced, thrilling, adventure story, which provides surprises and visceral entertainment.

Katniss and Peeta are the teenage 'tributes' chosen from...
Published on 10 Sept. 2011 by The Amazon J

‹ Previous | 1393 394 395453 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Aug. 2014
Excellent books would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best book I have ever read. Ever., 25 Mar. 2010
A. Lewis "dystopialover" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Well, where can I start?! This book had me gripped from start to finish; when I say I couldn't put it down, I literally mean I spent 4 hours locked in my room refusing to eat/drink/use the bathroom until I had finished. Honestly, it is a brilliant brilliant brilliant book, I can barely articulate how in love I am with it!

Plot details (spoiler free, I promise!!)
Katniss Everdeen, although not instantly loveable, makes an intriguing protagonist. She is 16 years old but already acts like the head of the family, since her father was killed in a mine accident which sent her mother into such a dizzying state of depression that Katniss found herself being forced to cook herself and her sister mint leaves boiled in water just to ease their hunger. This is all back story by the way - by the time we meet Katniss, she is happy and healthy, hunting for food with best friend Gale. The two live in District 12, which is part of the country of Panem (basically North America). Panem is made up of the Capitol surrounded by 12 (well, technically 13) districts. Each district has their own speciality; District 12 is Coal mining. Basically, about 75 years before this story begins, the districts started a rebellion against the Capitol. Details are sketchy, but we know that District 13 was blown up as a 'warning' to the other districts. Now, in order to ensure all districts are kept in line, every year there is a Reaping in each district, where 2 children (one male, one female) are chosen as 'tributes' to participate in The Hunger Games; a televised show where the 24 children, all between the ages of 12 and 18, must fight it out to be the Last One Standing. This involves hiding from the 23 other tributes who will try to hunt you down and kill you; only one can survive the games.

BASICALLY that is the basis of the plot, hopefully without spoilers. Just knowing that I was already pretty sure I would love the book. But the thing is, although supposedly this is aimed at teenagers, I found that it was extremely well written; adults can LOVE this book just as much as children. It truly is dystopic fiction at it's most gruesome yet thought provoking. The post-apocalyptic world of Panem is described just enough to interest the reader and yet enough to let the sequels deviate from the stories. Suzanne Collins is a brilliant writer. Please do not assume that this is a book only for teenagers; it is about a million times more readable than Harry Potter, and I am one of the biggest Harry Potter nerds on the planet. I cannot rave about this book enough; SERIOUSLY, PLEASE READ IT!!! (although I hope it doesn't get ruined by a film version... unless Collins writes the screenplay, chooses the cast and directs, it simply cannot live up to my expectations!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put down, 1 Mar. 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Originally I was hesitant to pick this book up, despite it getting good reviews, it didn't sound like something I'd enjoy too much. But my friend pushed me lots to get it, so I of course did. And I'm really, really glad she pushed! This book is fantastic.

It only took a few pages of Katniss' voice to hook me in to her world, one where survival is tough, starvation a real possibility and where she, at 16, is (and has been) taking care of her mom and 12 year old sister for years. She's a hunter, taking out rabbits and other game to either feed her family or trade for other necessities.

The Hunger Games start with the reaping. Everyone must be present in town as the 'tributes' from each of the 12 districts, one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18, are picked. This year, Prim's name is called and Katniss instantly steps up, volunteering herself in her sisters place. The boy called from District 12 this year is Peeta. He's not dirt poor like Katniss, struggling for every mouthful, but that doesn't mean life has been easy for him. They travel by train to the Capitol, the ruling city who keep the Districts in strict order. There they are given all the food they can eat, and more, whist going through interviews and training for the Games.

In the Capitol the games are a big event, one where a lot of money is bet and crowds love to back the tributes. But the arena is far from a game. Once inside it, it's every person for themselves. The last person standing is the victor.

The tension built from page one and never let up. You really feel for Katniss and the position she's in, and then as she fights for her life in the Games. Nothing is easy for her, but she's tough and smart, willing to do everything she can. She's not stupid, she knows how small her chances are but if she's going to go out, she's going to go out fighting.

I think it's the way this book is written that really sucks me in. You get a real sense very early on about how tough life is for Katniss, how bad it is in the games, why her friend Gale is always so angry at the Capitol where no one lacks for anything. I love Katniss' ability to adapt and think on her feet, her stubbornness and how she cares when really she wants to shut everyone out so she can do what she must. The world Katniss lives in is well described making it easy to visualise exactly what's going on and you can't help hoping that she'll just catch a break. Collins doesn't flinch away from the dark sides of Katniss' life or of the death that must be dealt in the Games either, making it all that more real.

A truly fantastic book that had me hanging on every word and desperate for more when I was done. I had a really, really hard time putting it down and I couldn't wait to read book 2, Catching Fire, which is equally as good. A must read that I'd highly recommend to both adults and teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, heart pumping, unforgettable =D, 23 Dec. 2009
D. Markham "Calmarsi" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Hunger Games is one of the best books I have ever read, and I have read a lot or books....a lot xD The reason that this is so good? Read on to find out!

Here is a few reasons: Katniss is not just a weak-hearted, frail girl. She's strong and wilful and has had to provide for her mother and sister for a lot of her life, hunting illegally in the woods outside the fence of district 12 with her friend and hunting partner Gale. This makes a nice change from the stereotypical 'girl' of teenage fiction. It's nice to see a girl who can kick butt once in a while xD

Obviously this is set in another world/livelihood or whatever xD I wont go into plot. Too much to say. But the idea of the hunger games is a unique one, and one that is quite disgusting. I mean, imagine if someone came before the world saying: "hey, I have an idea! Let's make children from 12-18 fight each other to the death!" They would be hated, I mean it's a pretty sick idea! The way that this is portrayed in the Hunger Games however really draws you into this other world where this sort of thing is allowed and is traditional. Since it's such an unlikely and horrible idea it makes it all the more interesting of a read and makes you think: if the world really was like this....

The relationship between Peeta and Katniss is sweet yet confusing, as Katniss seems to at times just say she likes him as a friend, yet her actions speak otherwise, then she changes her mind again...it becomes annoying. In the second one even more so because Gale comes into it a bit more xD

Some characters are a bit unbelievable, like their mentor, Haymitch, who's drunken idiocy sometimes seems OTT and unrealistic at times. There are others who seem unreal at times, but mostly the characters that matter ARE believable and relatable.

On the whole, a very very good read and one I would reccomend to anyone who loves something unusual with lots of action ^^

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to all the hype, 3 Sept. 2009
M. K. Burton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Quite simply, every bit of praise you've heard for The Hunger Games is true.

Katniss Everdeen has essentially been the provider for her mother and sister ever since her father's death in a mine explosion. They live in poor sector 12, which has little to recommend it, but must still send two 12-18 year olds to fight in the Hunger Games every year. When Katniss's sister is selected against all odds, Katniss takes her place in the Games, knowing that it's almost certainly a death sentence since only two contestants from sector 12 have ever won the Games. But Katniss has already survived against the odds; can she do it this one more time?

I loved this book from start to finish and it's rarer and rarer that I can say that these days. After everyone else in the book blogging world loved it, I just had to buy a copy and I am so glad that I did. I simply sped through this book. I spent two hours in the library with it waiting for something and then when I got home, I just sat down and read until I was finished. It was that good. It's an adventure story, an almost-love story, an exciting edge-of-your-seat thrilling race against the odds. It's hard to explain exactly why it's so fantastic, but it completely rocks.

Part of it is certainly that I loved Katniss. I can't imagine not feeling sympathetic to her character, especially for women. She's tough because she's had to be, but she is really just a teenage girl somewhere in there and it comes out sometimes. I loved the softer bits of her personality amidst the rough exterior that she has to develop just to survive; that is certainly evident most of the time. She's not the only great character, though; Peeta certainly is and I'd love to hear more about Gale in the next book, Catching Fire. The other contestants don't have much personality to them bar one, but really, they hardly need it. The book is only so long and they're all out to kill each other anyway.

I think it's probably the plot of this one that has made it so amazingly popular, though. Not only is Katniss fantastic, but she's constantly fighting for her life in so many ways. The reader never knows what's going to happen next. Some of the events herein are truly heartwrenching while others are exciting and still others gave me a huge grin. There is so much here. I mean, how many adjectives can I possibly use to describe it without sounding like a thesaurus list?

In short, this is a fantastic book. It does have a cliffhanger, so if you don't like that, by all means wait until the third book of the trilogy is published. I hear Catching Fire has an even more frustrating cliffhanger, but you won't find me waiting. I'll be buying it the day it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Book ever to grab my emotions!, 23 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When her sister is chosen by lottery, Katniss steps up to go in her place.

The Hunger Games. Well what can I say, it has to be the best book I have read. I have read a range of different books from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire Series, Cassandra Clare City of Bones/City of Ashes Series, The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead and a few others.

Myself being only 14, was really captured by the amazing descriptive narrative of Suzanne Collins. I am not afraid to admit that I do have the emotions of a rusted spoon, and The Hunger Games was the first book that has ever made me cry. (At an scene with one of Katniss' frineds departure.) At every moment during Katniss' progress through the book you are there with her, seeming to be at her side, she just doesn't know it.

The charcters are developed superbly. Some of my favourite having to be Peeta, Haymitch and obviously Katniss. The environment and habitat Katniss is thrown into is but into your reading environment.
Every girl can relate to Katniss in some way, some being obscure.

This book is absoloutly fabulous, better then Twilight.
Anyone who can give this masterpiece below 4 stars - YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

The Hunger games should be made into a movie.

One negitave - it's left me with a cliffhanger CRAVING more, and waiting till to september 09! :'(

4.0 out of 5 stars A well-used concept but still highly addictive, 16 Feb. 2009
Karura (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the country once known as America, the affluent and powerful Capitol rules over the twelve Districts with an iron fist, even going so far as to force two teenagers from each district to participate in the annual Hunger Games- a televised fight to the death where the winner is the last one standing

Determined to keep her younger sister out of the Games, sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen volunteers to go in her place. Katniss is smart, savvy and a good hunter, but will that be enough against the shifting loyalties of the other contenders, some of whom have trained all their lives to participate in the Games?

The battle royale setup is hardly a new idea, but nonetheless the basic synopsis of this book sounded interesting enough to warrant a look, and indeed, this is one book that is more than worth reading. With a quality of writing that brings both settings and characters to life, The Hunger Games is a consistently strong novel that remains both gripping and memorable throughout. Admittedly, so much happens to Katniss that it almost seems contrived, but the strength of the writing carries the story where weaker writers might have floundered.

What I wasn't expecting, however, was that this is only the first book in a series- my first impression was that this should be an entirely self-contained story, but on further thought, I'm quite looking forward to exploring the aspects of this world that were only touched upon here.

Overall, then, this is a well-written novel that both teen and adult readers should enjoy. Ignore the fact that the concept has been done before- The Hunger Games is still a gripping novel that should find a place on anyone's reading list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
Easy to read, leaves you wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Sept. 2014
well written with interesting scenario

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
My teenager and I love all these books

‹ Previous | 1393 394 395453 | Next ›

The Hunger Games (collector's edition) (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games (collector's edition) (Hunger Games Trilogy) by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - 3 Nov. 2011)
Used & New from: £10.11