Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 January 2013
The Eleventh Plague is one of those books that are a great idea, but lack that certain spark in the execution. I won't resummarise the story, but in short it is what I call a 'soft apocalypse' - although the world is harsh and survival is an ongoing battle, there's nothing overly disturbing about this book. The world building is OK - there is information on how the world ended up in the toilet, but there's no real sense of struggle or atmosphere and it reads more like a small-town saga.

Stephen is an average lead character - he is loyal, brave and smart, but there's no real sign of a personality underneath those characteristics. Jenny isn't as much the firecracker I expected from the blurb - she's a rebel in Settler's Landing but the attempt to make her witty and smart-arsey falls a little flat in places.

The writing was probably the high point of the story for me, free-flowing and uncomplicated, there's a feeling of continuity even in the slower passages.

Overall, there's no screaming faults with this book, but it's not going to be a memorable read for me.
on 2 November 2011
Well the sneak peak was promising but why can't I read the rest of it on my Kindle? Or do I have to go to my local library and borrow a real book o_O
on 10 May 2014
An exciting book that keep's you wanting to continue reading. The story keeps you guessing to the end with plenty of twists but the characters are well fleshed out and the background researched well.
on 3 September 2014
Only an excerpt, it was good. I waited and waited for the full book to be published, as far as I know, it never was.