5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Years ago, Grace was attacked by a starving wolf pack, and only survived because one wolf, the one with brilliant yellow eyes, protected her. Ever since then she's watched for "her" wolf each winter, caught in a longing she can't quite explain. Then one fall a boy appears on her porch, injured, with those same yellow eyes. Grace knows he is her wolf.

Grace...
Published on 23 July 2009 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hounds of Love are... Boring
Published on 25 Mar. 2011 by Ms. L. J. Braisby

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 23 July 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shiver (Hardcover)

Grace feels more connected to Sam than anyone else in her life, and Sam would do anything for her. But right from the beginning, a shadow looms over their time together. As the weather gets colder, it's harder and harder for Sam to stay human. And he's sure that this time, when he turns into a wolf, it will be for good.

SHIVER is a melancholy, romantic novel with equal parts tenderness and passion. Readers will find themselves swept up in Grace and Sam's unfolding relationship as they are finally able to talk and touch, and struggle to hold on to what little time they have together. The book is filled with gorgeous imagery that comes alive in your mind, and adds to the sense of fleeting beauty.

Some may find the story a little slow-moving: many of the scenes are simply Grace and Sam being together, and of the few subplots that increase the suspense, all but one are dropped with little or no resolution. But the book is well worth picking up just for the character study of a boy growing up torn between human and animal worlds, and the main characters' chemistry and frantic attempts to hold off Sam's change will keep appreciative readers glued to the page.

Recommended for paranormal fans who prefer thoughtfulness and simmering emotion to action and violence.

Reviewed by: Lynn Crow

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiver, 2 Oct. 2009
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
When I started reading Shiver, I was expecting an amazing, all-consuming epic romance type of book that would end up as one of my favourites. It didn't quite meet my high expectations, but I did enjoy it and didn't put it down once I got into it.

My main disappointment was my lack of connection with the characters. I just about got Sam, but I felt very little attachment to Grace. I don't know why she didn't make more of an impact on me, but I definitely didn't care about her as much as I think I should have. I also had trouble believing in their intense relationship -- I didn't think there was enough build up, and I had no idea why their feelings for each other were so strong; Grace's especially. Their feelings seemed to progress in the fast and furious no-good-explanation way, and I didn't identify with them at all. The plethora of supporting characters all worked, but again, none particularly stood out to me, and most seemed superfluous.

The plot itself was something new in the werewolf genre, and I thought the use of the cold was very clever. I've never heard of the weather controlling when a wolf changes to a human, so that caught my attention straight away. I also loved the dual narrative, as I'm a big fan of different points of view. I would have liked to have seen more Sam and less Grace chapters, though with Sam being a wolf for some of the time, I understand that that wasn't always possible. The cliffhanger ending was a nice touch, and left me wanting another immediately. I now have many questions that need answers, and I'm hoping all will be revealed in a future installment.

I really wanted to love Shiver, but I didn't get that excited feeling that accompanies a book you know you'll be thinking about for days after finishing it. Maybe it was because my expectations were too high, or maybe I was just anticipating something more.

3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Edward, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
Firstly, this book has changed my whole outlook on the young adult genre, yep, it really is that good. I am going to attempt to put my feelings into words, but everything that is coming into my mind, falls shy of describing my experience and impressions of this book. I just hope my review goes someway in giving the book and author the justice they deserve. If I go off on a tangent, I apologise.

The female protagonist Grace is an independent seventeen year old junior. Six years ago, she was attacked by a pack of wolves in the woods near her home. During this time, to distance herself from the attack, she focuses her attention on one particular wolf, a wolf with strange yellow eyes. Over the coming years, she watches this wolf from a distance, and he too watches her. What Grace doesn't realize at first is that the wolf has a name "Sam", and also a human body, but only when the temperature rises above a certain degree. It seems to me that this is Grace's coming of age, as she discovers herself and learns more about the mysterious wolves.

SHIVER is told from both Grace's and Sam's perspective and their voices are so unique and beautiful, that not once whilst reading this extraordinary novel, did I have to check the chapter page to see who was telling the story. The story is beautiful in it seamlessness, the plot and characters come together in perfect harmony, with epic amounts of emotion, without being too much. Like LAMENT, the prose is so poetic, I found myself full of envy at how Stiefvater can make writing seem so perfect. The love story is so believable and powerful, the saying "Love can overcome anything" rings true with this tale. The bar on supernatural romance has been raised, so other authors beware!

Although the wolves in this book are nothing similar to wolves you may have read about in the past, this new view on wolves is so refreshing, I think people will start to reconsider their notions on the traditional lore.

Sam and Grace's relationship, is achingly sad, passionate and will make you shiver all over (sorry for the pun, couldn't help myself). This seems to be the most distinctive and unique relationship I have ever experienced. The notion of a human girl being in love with a wolf does seem unreal, but not once during reading the book did this thought enter my head. More like Sam being a wolf was just symbolism for his character, more like a metaphor for his true state of being, rather than actually being a wolf.

The wait for this book did not disappoint, and now has a very special place on my bookshelf. I am eagerly awaiting the release of LINGER, which such renewed vigor now that I have had a slice of the action. SHIVER, has debuted at number nine of the NYT bestseller list, so congratulations Maggie, you are a literary genius. SHIVER will shake the young adult genre down to its roots with it's complex yet simple style, as dangerous and broody as it is lovely, this is an exceptional novel. Move over Edward.............Sam is here!!

4.0 out of 5 stars In the dark, dark woods..., 26 April 2012
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
This book was really adorable. I loved Grace and Sam and their story. It was like 'Beauty and the Beast'...but instead of a selfish brute in a lonely mansion, we got a lovely, bookshop-working, raven-haired, yellow-eyed piece of man candy. The narrative alternates between Sam and Grace's point of view, which is something I think really works in romantic stories as it lets you know how each person feels about the other, and doesn't make it seem as though one just really obsessed with the other! It also accentuated the differences between the characters, which was an aspect I really loved. Sam is sensitive and really into poetry and song lyrics and wears his heart on his sleeve...whereas Grace is stoic and unemotional and finds it hard to express herself. I loved that yin/yang aspect of their relationship; it made it much more believable and I could really relate to it from my own experiences!

I also liked the whole host of secondary characters and their relationships with Grace and Sam. I especially liked the way neither Grace nor Sam had perfect relationships with their friends and family, as it became a strong bond that they shared. Grace's parents are pretty useless and pay little attention to their daughter. Although they live in the same house, they lead very different lives and her mum and dad seem to shut themselves up in their studio/office and barely say a word to her or seem at all concerned about her. Sam's parents...well...the less said about them the better. Let's just say they took some pretty gruesome drastic measures when they found out their son was a werewolf. I think these relationships help to explain why Grace and Sam have always clung to the idea of each other; despite not knowing each other at all for years before they meet, they watch each other and feel protective of each other. They wanted unconditional love and believed the other person was a way to get it; thankfully, they were right.

I also really liked Grace's troubled relationship with her friend Olivia at the beginning of the book. The way Grace felt, as though her friend was slipping away as they got older, and that she was having to work harder and harder to remain close to her friend, was very realistic. I think we've all been in that position where we have been friends with someone for years and then one day realise that we're not sure why we're friends with them anymore. Friends drift apart, especially when you're Grace and you don't have much time for the trivial worries of your friends when all you can think about is staring at a wolf on your back porch.

I really loved the setting of this book. I wasn't keen on the name 'Mercy Falls' because it seemed a bit...tacky and lame but I love the woods and how much the woods featured in the book. They were dark and twisted and mysterious and seemed to enfold the characters and houses within them. I like how Grace's feelings towards Sam are projected onto the woods as well; she gazes at them longingly and dreams of living under the golden leaves just as she dreams of Sam himself. The woods are transformed because she always waited for the wolves and wanted to live amongst them, and I think it was what made Sam really familiar to her when she finally saw him in human form- he smelt like the woods and they were a part of both of them.

I really liked the emphasis on smell in this novel, too. Grace has an element of wolf in her since she was bitten as a child so, with the prompting of Sam, she gives in to her wolf-heightened sense of smell- a scene in a sweetshop was one of my favourites in the whole book. A lot of the sensuality between Grace and Sam came from them inhaling each others scents, and finding safety and security in the familarity of each other's smell. I loved this as it was very primitive and animalistic as well as being rather sweet and unique.

However, I did dislike some aspects of the book. This isn't the most complex of novels, and there is a lot of repetition of similes and metaphors throughout. There are no radical ideas or anything particularly original: there are no huge problems when Grace, a girl who has dreamt about a particular wolf/boy since she was little, finally has her dreams made a reality; he is everything she wanted and dreamed of. I thought it would be more interesting if, initially, she found it hard to reconcile the two ideas she had had of this boy and had more of a hard time getting to know him. But I guess that wouldn't have been as romantic, which is one of the purposes of the book.

Another little thing I had a bit of a problem with was something I know my best friend would've hated if she had been reading this book: the focus on eyes. In young adult fiction, there is a tendency to focus on looks and eyes because it is less erotic and sexual then focusing on bodies and body language. Instead, the characters 'read' each others eyes and expressions and observe other characters emotions through looks in their eyes. This gets a bit annoying as it is pretty unrealistic...how often can you say you have read something just from someone's eyes!? It takes the whole face at least!

I also found Sam's song lyrics pretty cheesy. I know some people love all the deep and meaningful stuff but, for me, the song lyrics were a step too far. I could handle him reading her poetry. I could handle him calling her 'angel' (even though I did cringe). But beyond that I did find myself smirking at the cheese...especially because Grace isn't the kind of character who you would think would appreciate that sort of smushy-ness!

Despite the few down sides, I did really, really enjoy this book. It was cute and did choke me up a little in places! I really believed in the characters, as I felt they were multi-dimensional and more complex than average. I will definitely be reading the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 8 Jun. 2011
What a book, Wow!
'Shiver' is a story about a young couple fighting to be together, only the thing standing in the way of their ever growing love is time. Grace, an ordinary schoolgirl, with a not so ordinary story is in love with the wolves that live in the woods behind her house. With one wolf in particular, her yellow eyed wolf. Sam, a boy with an extraordinay secret, trapped by weather and time. In love with a girl that has never seen his face, his human face. When their worlds collide they have to fight for their lives, for their love. Fight to be together.
I have to admit that when I first obtained the book through the post I was a little disappointed. My reasons for this were; I didn't know the book was "SCHOLASTIC" if I had I must admit I properly wouldn't have bought it, due me being 17 and I thought it would be a book aimed at younger readers. Something that seemed to be confirmed by the off-putting fount size of the text. However once I had to begun to read the novel I was well a truly hooked. The idea to have both the main character's (Grace and Sam) have individual chapters on their experiences worked brilliantly with the book, Stiefvater (author) didn't fall into the trap of repeating the same episode simply through both view points, which can be very tedious. I became addicted to the book and read it all in five days, which would have been shorter if it wasn't for that fact that I had a number of A-level exams during the week. I was so obsessed with the story that I ordered the next book in the series, "Linger" on day 2.
The book overall was outstanding throughout, there was not a page that lost me, and the ending will leave you begging for more!
My only hope is that 'Linger' lives up to the high expectations I have formed from 'Shiver', and if so I will 'Forever' be a Maggie Stiefvater fan.
Recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hounds of Love are... Boring, 25 Mar. 2011
Ms. L. J. Braisby "leigh" (Doncaster, South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
When Shiver came in the mail, I was so excited to read it. I hated Twilight so I was psyched that is was probably going to be 100 times better as the storyline seemed to pop out at me! It has a great Storyline about Grace, who is cornered then attacked by a Pack of Wolves; only one distinctive Wolf saves her and drags her to safety. Ever since the event she has felt a strange connection to her Wolf, looking out for him every Winter. A local Boy gets attacked and killed in a way that is reminiscent to Grace, and even more alarming a rather gorgeous and strangely recogniseable young man appears scared and wounded on Grace's doorstep. His name is Sam; could he be exactly what Grace has been looking out for ever since time her small local town of Mercy Falls gets cold? Is there more than just friendship between Sam and Grace, and who might want to stand in the way of anything happening between the two? Can Sam stay human long enough before people get suspicious about The Wolves, and Sam's connection to them? You'll have to read to find out!
I do believe another Lady who's written a review has said pretty much the same thing that I'm going to say, but, Shiver has an amazing beginning which gave me goosebumps and made me excited to turn every single page. I loved how the chapters are written in the first person of Grace or Sam, and it shows the temperature they're currently in. However, a few Chapters in the book starts dwindling in the sense that nothing much happens and the book becomes really cheesy, especially Sam's 'lyrics', which I felt were just plain tacky and kind of made me cringe throughout reading the story. Some of the stuff Grace and Sam say to each other is worthy of a cringe as well, it's just really... tacky! I decided, despite Shiver's bad points, to persevere with the story and was suitably impressed with the Ending, Shiver has a brilliant ending which made me sit open-mouthed in shock, and even a desire to read the next one, which I'm still debating to be honest. Also, the characters were very... flat. I felt no connection or desire to see the outcome of Grace, who frankly is quite boring. Sam is very bleak, even whiny, and the other Characters are just really neutral and don't stand out very much at all. The 3 stars I've given are purely for the excellent beginning and end, but the middle is just terrible and the characters aren't that great either. Overall disappointed. Still not sure about Book 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a different take on werewolves, 8 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
This is a different take on werewolves, and I really liked it. Grace and Sam first meet when she is eleven, and attacked by his pack of wolves. He was a wolf and for some reason he didn't understand, he saved her and took her away from the attack. Grace has been fascinated by this yellowed eyed wolf ever since. Her backyard touches the forest, so she is able to observe the wolves all winter.

These wolves shapeshift based on the temperature changes of the seasons. During summer, they are human and during winter they are wolves. Unlike other `were' stores I've read, when these are in wolf form, they do not continue to have human thoughts and emotions--they are all animal. As a wolf, Sam doesn't remember his human life.

The first time he meets Grace as a human, (he is 18, she is 17) she finds him shot and bleeding on her back deck. He's a naked boy, and it's freezing outside. She brings him in, and helps him out and quickly realizes that this is her wolf. His yellow eyes give him away. We just have to go with the flow that this is a story and she just immediately believes in werewolves. Her parents are pretty much absentees, so she is able to keep Sam in her room for quite a while before they even know he has been there.

Sam is running out of time because this is his last season as a human before he becomes a wolf for the rest of his life. He doesn't tell this to Grace at first, and he just wants to spend as much time with her as he can. Oh yes--Grace was bitten by a wolf years ago, wasn't she? Why has she not changed into a wolf? Is she going to? Meanwhile, some other kids have been bitten by wolves, and there is a really good subplot going on with good side characters.

Ok, I'm rambling and not really saying what I want to say. I will just stop now. Check out some of the other reviews on this one.
You can feel their sadness as the time ticks by. I really liked it, and I look forward to the second in this series

5.0 out of 5 stars A-D-O-R-E, 12 April 2010
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
I absolutely adore this book. Story is told from 2 characteristic manners and both have unbelievable strong personalities that sometimes you got lost in their thoughts trying to figure out weather it was/wasn't yours first.
As Grace and Sam struggles to enjoy every moment with each other they both have other problems as well. I absolutely liked chapters which was from Sam side because they were so full of energy and emotions that sometimes I was angry at Grace not to do with him what I wanted to see her doing. On the other side Grace is more mature and realistic however their secret binds them together for eternity. To see how characters develop and struggles to survive and get what they want was absolutely marvelous.
Writing style is easy readable (as English is not my native language) and this story won't only make you feel like you are in it but also will let you think about decision making how would you choose, what road you would take if you were in Graces/Sam position. This book inspired me and made me cry several times. I absolutely enjoyed reading it and won't hesitate to re-read it again soon enough. It fills you with such energy and emotions that you would want to let your loved one to hug you very strong and never let go because you will feel like one day he/she could just vanish without any trace.
Story is about love, passion, mystic, decision making and trying to figure out weather something is worth to change your all living order.
"I thought she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen, a tiny bloody angel in the snow, and they were going to destroy her." /Sam./

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me Shiver with anticipation at every stage..., 29 Mar. 2010
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
This is a beautiful and unique love story which reaches into the unknown world of love between a girl and a wolf.

Grace, having been attacked by the pack of wolves that live in the woods near her house, feels a close connection to them long after the attack from when she was young girl. In particular to one wolf who somehow saved her from them. From that day forward, the wolf watches over her like a sort of guardian angel and after 6 years of watching things begin to happen and the secrets of the wolf pack which frequent her forest come to light. It appears that the wolves are not just wolves...

The book follows the building of that relationship with the wolf who saved her, called Sam. It is a journey which reveals more about the lives of the wolves and the pack and in particular Sam and his past. What is most beautiful though, is the unspoken love that has always been there for Grace or Sam, wolf or not and his struggle to hold on to Grace, reality and what makes him Sam.

I liked that there was a change to the old stereotype of wolves in this book, with it showing that it is temperature that is their trigger instead of the moon. And Stiefvater makes a point of pointing out the temperature at the start of each chapter so you can get a hold on the situation, or the situation to come. This helped to build the tension and made for a gripping read as the temperature dropped or rose. This feature, of course, relates to the title of the book and you see why she has called it such with the progression in knowledge of the wolf pack.

In addition, I really liked the idea that the eyes were the identifier for someone, and eyes play a large part in recognition in the story.

The lead to an ending which was heartbreaking and one which made me cry with joy for the final twist.

This is truly one for the collection with its unique twist on the paranormal romance scene. I am looking forward to the next book in the series; Linger which out on the 5th of July.

Cassandra220689

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiver, 4.5 Stars, 24 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this one and I'm please to say it lived up to most of my expectations. I really enjoyed Maggie Stiefvater's writing style as it had a very lyrical feel to it. The novel was slower paced than I was expecting but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing - it didn't have the tense urgency of some books I've read recently but I can honestly say I never lost interest because of it. It helped create a great atmosphere and i could almost feel the cold as I read!

The story was told from both Grace and Sam `s point of view - a method that is fast becoming my favourite style of storytelling. Character wise - I just adored Sam. He's so sweet, caring and nice. Grace I found harder to connect to - I never felt as if I really `saw' her - she had such emotional strength and independence that I just couldn't relate - although considering the way here parents were with her it was definitely understandable. Isabel, on the other hand, cracked me up and provided the light relief the story needed at times.

I loved the mythology Stiefvater created here - it felt very original and as such gave the story a higher level of authenticity. I started to believe it was actually possible! My favourite part of the story though, was the Sam/Grace love story. It was so gentle and felt very believable to me -and the ending. How much did I LOVE the ending? It's safe to say I can't wait for the next book in this series and I'll be very interested to see how it continues.

Shiver
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (Hardcover - Aug. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01