5.0 out of 5 stars "Amazing, just amazing"
Published on 4 Feb. 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Account of the Vietnam War
This book was a great recollection of the times in the Vietnam War, but also was a great lesson of how not to write a book. The harsh language and horrible attempt to emulate African American dialect was ridiculous. It was an easy read, but, all in all, one of the worst books ever written.
Published on 12 April 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "Amazing, just amazing", 4 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
"Fallen Angels" is an excellent book for teenagers. This book tells you about a 17 year old teenager that goes into the Vietnam War and just wanted to go there until he gets his life together. But his plan doesn't turn out the way he thought it would. Let me tell you the three reasons why I thought "Fallen Angels" was a great book. First of all because this book is very intriguing. Also this is the type of book that I like to read. Last of all this book always keeps you on the edge of your seat(or in my case bed). Now read on to find out why this book was very intriguing.
Let me tell you why this book was very intriguing. First of all this book was very intriguing because it was eye-catching. It was eye-catching because the cover jumps out at you. As Dan Myers said "This book was one of the greatest literary works in history." Also this book make you think that you were really in the war. Some of the parts were so real I had to stop reading it for a while. Relating to that sentence when a soldier was dying I almost thought I was dying myself. That is why a few other people and I thought this book was very intriguing. Keep on reading to find out why this was my type of book.
Now I am going to tell you why this was my type of book. First of all this was my type of book because it had adventure in it. I love books with adventure in them because I am an adventurous type of guy. Also this is my type of book because it relates to the ARMY. Since I am an adventurous type of guy I want to be in the ARMY when I grow up and that is another reason why this is my type of book. My last reason why "Fallen Angels" was my type of book was because I never wanted to put it down because I felt like I was in the ARMY and if I put it down I thought that it was like going to sleep and never waking up the next day. Those are the reasons why "Fallen Angels" was my type of book. Now keep on reading to find out why I thought "Fallen Angels" always kept you on the edge of your seat.
Now let me tell you why I thought this book always kept you on the edge of your seat. First of all I think that because when I read the book it always kept me on the edge of my seat. Also I think that it always keep you in the edge of your seat because it felt like the book was glued to your hands. Last of all I think that the book always kept you on the edge of your seat because in a lot of other peoples comments about the book said that "Fallen Angels" always kept them on the edge of their seat throughout the book. Now you have read why I thought this book always keep you on the edge of your seat.
In conclusion you see why I think that "Fallen Angels" is a great book for teens. If you don't remember why I thought "Fallen Angels" was a great book you better keep on reading. This book was very intriguing, it is my type of book, and the book always keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you read this book I am sure that you will have a different opinion about wars from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinarily powerful book!, 10 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I am 12 years old. I am not yet finished with "Fallen Angels", but the first 7/8 of this book have given me more to think about than every other book I've read COMBINED! It'll make you cry. It'll make you seethe with anger at the Vietnamese (and the Americans). It'll make you think. A haunting, powerful book. One of the best ever written. If you want to read a masterpiece war story, this should be your first choice. Outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallen Angels is a grand drama about warriors in vietnam, 15 April 1999
By A Customer
The book Fallen Angels was written by the fantastic young adult author Walter Dean Myers. The story takes place in the jungles of Vietnam where a young man named Richie Perry is pushed into a violent war that he doesn't understand and has to fight for the life of his comrades and his own. This story will keep you interested to the end. Besides Richie Perry, this book is filled with a full cast of colorful characters like Peewee who is a rather small man in stature, yet he doesn't let that stop him from from telling anybody how he feels no matter what their size. Other characters such as Lobel, Monaco, Johnson, Brunner, and Sergeant Simpson also help make this riveting story come to life. There is a downside to all of these great things and that is the lack-luster ending. That is where the book comes to a screeching hault and leaves you wondering about how they get home and what happens when they get there. I would strongly reccomend this book to anybody who is interested in learning a little about our country's involvement in Vietnam ,and the lives and trials of another era long since passed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful book, excellent characterization, 15 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
I read this book as an assignment to create a lesson plan for my future references. It is probably one of the best books that I have ever read. The characters in this book are so believable that I feel like I know them personally. I think that it is a great way for students to learn about life during the Vietnam War. I recommend it for people 16 on up. The action pact plot will keep readers from putting it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will make you feel like you were at the Vietnam War., 3 April 1997
By A Customer
This book is about what Rich Perry (main character) and his soldier buddies that was in his platton.It talks about what they had to do inorder for them to stay alive and survive.
When ever Rich and his platoon is at a gun fight, It makes you feel like you were their taking a video or taking pictures while they were fighting their enemies.This book really gets very exciting.Especially the parts when Rich and two other soldier buddies almost died.Their is so much action on this movie to make Rambo look like Dumbo.
It gets interesting when ever the Rich in his platoon are just kicking back.Because they would always make fun of each other.Every time they would make fun of each other, It makes them feel like there not even at War.And it also makes them forget about what they've experience while in a gun fight.
I liked this book because it was interesting and a lot of action. I wacth alot of War movies. But I think if this was turned into a movie, Then The best War movie of the year would go to Fallen Angels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 12 July 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fallen Angels (Mass Market Paperback)
FALLEN ANGELS takes place among the rice fields and swamps of Vietnam.

Teenager Richie Perry is sent to Vietnam when he enlists in the war. For the first time in his life, he is far away from his mom and younger brother, who are back in Harlem, New York. Perry meets many friends along the way, such as Lieutenant Carroll, Peewee, and Monaco. Perry has to not only survive the war, but also the effects of the war -- both physical and emotional.

Walter Dean Myers writes a touching story of a seventeen-year-old boy fighting in a very controversial war. This book gives readers a personal viewpoint of the infamous war that no history book can. Myers creates relatable characters that all readers are sure to love. This real-life, action-packed tale is one to please all readers, regardless of age.

Reviewed by: Steph

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar. A must-read for any 18-year-old, 17 May 1999
By A Customer
As one of the greatest books I have ever read, Fallen Angels is breathtaking. The descriptions in this book have made the Vietnam War clear to me--In its carnage and brutality. I have four chapters left and I have never been so affected by a novel in my entire life. I feel as though I have seen the battles of the war firsthand. The descriptions have etched themselves into my mind without traumatizing me to the extent that the brave young men and women who fought the war had been. The scariest part about it is, I am the same age as some of the men in the story--I would never have survived.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is one of the greatest literary works in history., 9 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
Being a college student I am required to read a great deal of books. So it's not often that I get a chance to read for fun. I read "Fallen Angels" in junior high, and just recently read it again. It is one of the most powerful literary works in history. It captures the thoughts and feelings of a generation and throws them in your face with an explosive force. I would recomend this book to anyone who has ever felt an emotion. A true masterpeice of literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever!!!!!!!!!!!, 24 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
What can I say. Fallen Angels is a teriffic book. Being a teenager I really felt close to the characters in this book. The characterization in this book is teriffic. It's more indirect than direct because it does tell what each character is like but you still feel like these people have secrets that are better not told. Also I could really relate to the movie freak Lobel being a movie freak myself which made this book all the more better.

5.0 out of 5 stars keeps you on the edge of your seat and takes into the war., 14 Sept. 1998
By A Customer
I am reading the book right now, and I'm not a reader, and I can't put it down it's great. If you want a book on the war that's action packed and takes you so that you are actualy just like an invisible person watching vietnam than this is the book! I'm 14 and I think that teens and up kids should read the book because of language, but hey that's part of the experience. YOU MUST READ! I give it an A

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fallen Angels
Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers (Mass Market Paperback - 1 May 2008)