Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2014
I have enjoyed all three of the books in this series. These are very real people - they have disagreements at times, there are consequences to decisions made, and I found myself caring about them all.

I have seen people complain that in this version of North America there seem to be no native Americans/Columbians. But this seems logical to me, as they too arrived as small groups of incomers - just many years before the European/Avrupan settlers - and would almost certainly have died out when facing steam dragons, basilisks, stone dragons and so on, as it is unlikely that they would have had suitable weapons, or such sophisticated magic, if they arrived on the continent at much the same period as their equivalents in our version of this world, i.e. 40000 – 10000 BC. Therefore I had no problem with their absence.
on 11 October 2011
Frontier America with magic doesn't sound as good as this series is. The world building is first rate, with believable creatures, families and even governments. Some of the charm of this book is in the way it's a bit episodic, not a compact coming of age book like the first one of the series. This gives it the quality of a real autobiography of the period, and leaves me waiting impatiently for the next book, and the next look at the odd sect who refuse to use any magic and the joy in exploring a new and magical continent.
on 12 April 2013
More travels and experiences of Eff and Lan as they discover more about themselves and their magic. Characters that are real, familiar and inspiring despite being magicians!
on 20 January 2015
Great finish to the series. I hope she writes more of this world, even if she writes about other characters, though I loved these ones.