4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced read, very very enjoyable
I'm a fan of Daniel Suarez's previous 3 books and very much looked forward to this one. Didn't seem to have quite the gravitas of Daemon but all the same, nailed this in 2 sittings! He seems to get that balance between technical content (to a lay man anyway) and good sci if fiction paced storytelling just right. Can I gave another please?
Published 6 months ago by Blueboy808

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting premise, but the execution feels rushed
I've read all four of Daniel Saurez's books to date and this is the first that doesn't make the grade for me. With his previous three books (Daemon, Freedom and Kill Decision) he combined an entertaining and well-planned plot with interesting characters and a writing style that sucked me in and kept me reading.

However the best way to sum up Influx is that it...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. P. HAIGH

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced read, very very enjoyable, 9 Mar 2014
Blueboy808 (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Slower Started, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Influx (Hardcover)
I have read Daniels previous 3 books and loved them. The one is a bit slow to start, but once it got going I couldn't put it down, and read cover to cover in under 3 days.

It is a thought provoking, conspiracy theory read and I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
mr (MIDDLESBROUGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Influx (Hardcover)
Just listened to this on Audible and really enjoyed it, would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make me believe, 30 May 2014
PT Cruiser (West Coast) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Influx (Hardcover)
Il loved Daemon and Freedom, Daniel Suarez's first two books. So I jumped at the chance to read this one. I enjoyed all the twists and turns as well as the cinematic type action, much like his other two books. The only thing I didn't like was that much of it was just too unbelievable, more fantasy than what I like in science fiction novels. There's nothing wrong with that if you like a lot of fantasy, and I do enjoy that too sometimes, but it's not what made me choose this book. Although this started out with a lot of seemingly logical tech talk and action, Suarez soon went too far with scenes that had me rolling my eyes and not believing that they could sorta-somehow take place.

I've often compared Suarez with Michael Crichton. Crichton is one of my all time favorite science fiction writers because his books were so believable with just a few leaps of faith here and there. Daemon was like that, plus it had a lot of computer high tech and AI stuff in it which I loved. This book may have been a page turner for me, but it was missing the "Oh yeah, this could really happen" quality which I loved in his first two books.

I was provided with a review copy of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting premise, but the execution feels rushed, 17 Mar 2014
Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Influx (Hardcover)

However the best way to sum up Influx is that it feels... rushed. The writing style is still there but the characters feel under-developed in comparison to his earlier books. I have to level a similar criticism at the plot too. This moves at an inconsistent (and sometimes much too rapid) pace and introduces several convenient twists that allow the storyline to be resolved in the way the author intended. However I was left with the impression that too many deus ex machina were harmed (OK, used) during the writing of this story.

The strength of Daemon, Freedom and Kill Decision is that they were all well researched, well developed, and based on technology that is only a generation or two away at best. Unfortunately Influx is none of these. I'm hoping for better next time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging read, but the ideas went nowhere, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Influx (Hardcover)
I read Daniel Suarez's previous 3 novels and enjoyed them. Influx has clearly benefited from good editing - the story runs along at a great pace, the characters are clearly defined, and the plot is developed without any needless sidetracks.

There are some interesting ideas in the book - both big-picture and more technical. Is technological progress always good? Who benefits, who loses - and do those wins and losses add up to a net benefit? However, rather than explore the ideas, the book became a fast-paced techno-thriller. That's okay - it's what the jacket promises - but it leaves the book at "airport purchase", rather than something more engaging.

The characters are interesting - but again, the traits that made them interesting weren't really explored in any depth.

So, an okay book to while away a long flight, but I doubt I'll remember much of it in a few weeks time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same again..., 10 May 2014
This review is from: Influx (Kindle Edition)
I haven't bought this book - Yet.

I did the same with Kill Decision. I balked at the KINDLE price... How can this cost 12.44 when there are minimal costs (no printing, marketing etc..).

I loved Daniels' first two books - and Kill decision was good - but I waited until it came down to a fair price for what is essentially a digital download.

C'mon Daniel - 12.44 for the Hardback maybe and around 5.00 for a Kindle version sounds about right.

Influx
Influx by Daniel Suarez (Hardcover - 20 Feb 2014)
Used & New from: 3.82