5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Ending!
Published on 26 July 2012 by ReadWriteReviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly disappointed.
Ive never written a book review before...so excuse me if its a little vaque.

Published 23 months ago by Zoe

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Ending!, 26 July 2012
I'm a huge fan of this series. This has been the series I've grown with. I've been reading them for about four years now. This has been the series that will always stand out in my mind. I think most readers will have that one series that pulled them into the world of reading and to me this is it. The Women of the Otherworld series introduced me to the world of all things paranormal. This series has had such an impact on me personally, and I will never forget it. Why am I telling you this? I want you to understand how much the ending of this journey means to me. I love these characters and I've watched them grow and become unique individuals. This is the world I want to step into to. But with 13, that journey comes to an end.

Yes, I'm upset that my all time favourite series is over but then again I'm not. Kelley Armstrong has brilliantly tied everything up from the series. We see all the characters returning and we find out what the future holds for them. it couldn't have been done better. The series finished on a high and this will make all readers come back again and again. We see the series wrapped up perfectly, every characters gets their ending and I couldn't be happier for them. Yes they are tried and tested throughout the book but that's what it's like to be a supernatural, nothing is easy or normal. It never will be. We've come to the end of the journey and that has left me very emotional. No other series has made me feel this way. This book in one word was perfect.

13 is a very good and strong book. It's one of the best in the series, and you can easily tell. Right from the start the reader is hauled into the middle of the action. This book is full of action, it's the war of the Otherworld after all isn't it? We see characters returning and combining forces to combat the bad guys. I loved how all the different supernatural races came together to save their world. It was brilliant.

I don't want to give too much of the story away as this is book 13. If you haven't read the series, I really recommend it. It will always remain my favourite.

13 joins the Otherworld when a mysterious group of supernaturals are hell bent on revealing their secrets to the rest of the world. In the middle of it all are our favourite characters. Each are drawn in and tangled into the groups plot to reveal the truth of supernaturals. We see Savannah and her friends coming together to find out how to stop this group before things change their world forever. What makes it worse is the leader of this group has created a deadly virus which can turn normal humans into terrifying monsters. As the Otherworld splits into two sides, Savannah and her friends have to put a stop to this before it's too late.

The characters in the Women of the Otherworld are so real and fleshed out. They are the best characters I have ever read about. Each main character is unique and there are a lot of them. Even so Armstrong creates memorable characters that leave a big impression on the reader. We have Savannah the fiery witch. She's brilliant, I've grown with her since we met her in book two. I love watching her grow and learn throughout the series, its a brilliant reflection of real life and what all of us go through. Minus the magic powers. We have Elena and the werewolves. I will always love them. It started with Elena in Bitten and even now she's my favourite. We have so many other important characters I can't list them all but they are all great. Well the good guys anyway! Even the bad guys were creepily real. Oh and the Demons, we got a better look at them in 13 and they were incredible. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it.

I loved 13, it's that simple. It's a brilliant book that keeps the reader engrossed from start until finish. I didn't want it to end but it had too. The twists and turns were great too, some made me grip the pages harder others made me gasp. I didn't see any coming. Oh, I'm going to really miss this series. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to an old friend and it's heartbreaking. This will forever remain my favourite series, the impact it's had on me as a reader is phenomenal. This book was a brilliant end to the series and it couldn't have been better. The Women Of the Otherworld truly went out with a bang. 13 is the perfect ending to a brilliant series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly disappointed., 10 May 2013
Ive never written a book review before...so excuse me if its a little vaque.

I love kelley armstrong, shes one of a my favourite authors but ive found the books in this series getting less 'fleshy' if that makes sense? The last couple of books that centered on Savannah (and the last one about Elena) seem to lack the depth that the others had and thats especially prevalent in 13. I enjoyed reading it and was sad to see the end but it left me feeling like nothing had really been accomplished in the book and that it was rather pointless? I dont know whether thats because ive grown up as these books have been written or something to do with the author. Its a must read for anyone who is a fan of the otherworld though.

4.0 out of 5 stars 13, 28 July 2012
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
And so it ends. A series that has been a mainstay of my late teens to my mid-twenties. I'm sad to know that my summers will not be spent stalking the postman in anticipation of the arrival of a new Otherworld book but also glad that Armstrong decided to end it when she did, with a bang and with some loose ends that hint towards the potential of another visit somewhere in the future. Those loose ends, though, are fitting because this is not the end of these characters lives and Armstrong makes clear in the author notes that, in some ways, this is just the beginning.

This is a very action packed book, probably the most relentless of all of the Otherworld novels, and there is very little in terms of downtime for Savannah and co. Armstrong just kept driving forward the plot that was built up in Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld), with the Supernatural Liberation Movement continuing with their nefarious plot of outing the supes and unleashing a 'virus' that will turn humans too. But, of course, the characters I have come to know and love are not happy with this and join forces to try and save the day - and all with Savannah's powers still on the fritz.

If I'm being honest, the full on plot is a tad overwhelming in places, not always in a bad way, but it certainly made me slow down when I was reading to keep up with the goings on. Very hard to do when the writing makes you want to keep turning the pages at a speedy rate!

What I particularly enjoyed was how all the characters who narrated a previous instalment also got to narrate a chapter of this. I love multiple POVs and, as much as I've come to like Savannah as a character, particularly in this final book, I'm a little sad that they didn't get a second chapter to themselves. The powers, abilities and personalities that they have are all so different, it would have been nice to spend just a little bit more time with them.

I've had my highs and my lows with this series and 13 (Women of the Otherworld) may not be my favourite but it was so worth sticking with the series right until the very end. An excellent finale.

PS, the short story at the end was a really nice touch that harked back to the series beginnings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great end to an amazing series, 17 Feb. 2014
I have spent the last year waiting for this book to be released and when I finally got a copy what did I do? Did I read it immediately? No. Why? Partly because for a while I contemplated reading the entire series back to back and partly because I couldn’t bare to say goodbye to this series.
I have loved this series since the first 3 chapters of Bitten Watching Savannah grow up throughout the series (mostly on the sidelines) I was really pleased when she was finally old enough to have her own voice. I think Kelley Armstrong did a great job of allowing each of the women from the series a chance to have their voice heard in this last book.

I was completely drawn in by this book, I got that warm fuzzy feeling that feels like coming home, or being hugged by your favourite person. I found myself laughing in parts and crying in others (did anyone else do that or was it just me?). While I am sad that one of my favourite series is officially over there are enough ‘loose ends’ to leave openings for several more novella’s and who knows, maybe one day a 14th book in the series. Which makes me happy.

I know a lot of people have felt a little ‘short-changed’ on the ending, but I think its fitting. Not one of the characters leads a normal life, they all live with various dangers and as such there can be no ‘happy ever after’, but they come damn close.

If you haven’t read this series yet then I definitely recommend it. Especially if you like a little werewolf, witch/sorcerer, demon and vampire (amongst others) in your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad to see if end-but short stories are coming, 3 Feb. 2013
Sandy S. (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
THIRTEEN (Women of the Otherworld #13) by Kelley Armstrong

THIRTEEN is the final instalment in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. Although the number of storylines, technically cross, into the 20s (with the many anthologies and short stories available), THIRTEEN is the last of the full-length novels. There remain many stories to be told (Morgan's and Reese's for example) but sadly, I understand why Kelley felt the need to close the door on the Women of the Otherworld series. I am also pleased she has announced that she has, at the minimum, three more anthologies set for release starting in 2014. Let us hope that Morgan and the others will get their stories written-nothing like introducing several new characters and never revealing the exact nature of their connection to the series.

THIRTEEN is the culmination of 10 plus years of story telling all starting with Kelley's introductory WOTO novel BITTEN, where we were first introduced to Elena Michaels -the first and only female werewolf- and her mate and `sire' Clayton Danvers. But the road to THIRTEEN began in the pages of the second story STOLEN with the introduction of Savannah Levine- a young 12year old witch left orphaned when her half-demon/half- witch mother, Eve Levine, was murdered trying to escape Ty Winsloe's compound of imprisoned supernatural beings. Now 10 years later, Savannah is a young woman, hopelessly in love with the man who helped rescue her from Winsloe's hold, and a major player trying to stop a 13th century child killer from successfully finding a cure for mortality and revealing the existence of the supernatural race.

Many of the WOTO characters reunite in this final chapter including the revelation that someone who was long thought dead, is very much alive-and for that reason alone-a few more storylines must be written. Kelley has exposed us to many different demons, half-demons, angels and Cabals, but THIRTEEN gathers some of the Otherworld's nastiest demons and fallen angels in a struggle between `the good, the bad and the lowest of the low'. Yet the one whom you would have thought wanted to destroy the world, remains an angel behind the façade of one of most hated beings in the world of religious beliefs. And with the birth of child, comes a reunion between father and daughter, and a new Pack member who reluctantly admits that family is more important than pride.

Savannah and Adam will, at last, admit they have been dancing around each other for many years. Savannah's proclamation that she has been in love with Adam since he `burned' her initials into a heart, and Adam maintains that their age difference held him back from taking the initial steps towards a relationship will quell the angst of unrequited love. Their relationship has been frustrating throughout the series, knowing that they belonged together, but it will be Adam's admission that he has felt the same way for a very long time.

Our favorite PACK will reunite in a short story at the end of the book-FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. The previous Alpha will be vanquished from position in a head to head battle, a new Pack Alpha will be declared and their numbers will increase with the addition of a new member and his young family.

THIRTEEN is a fast paced, wild ride that will bring back many memories from the previous storylines. Cassandra and Aaron will sacrifice themselves to save a once-beloved Cabal member, while Jasper Haig is released to ensure Hope survives the end of the world. Many of the demon fathers make an appearance as the wall between the worlds slowly disintegrates, but the open portal will allow a beast so frightening, that even the powers of the supernatural are useless against its' attack. THIRTEEN is a wonderful end to a fantastic series that will be missed by so many readers and friends. I would like to thank the talented Kelley Armstrong for allowing me to ride along on the amazing adventures of Elena, Clay and the Pack. They will truly be missed.

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe(dot) com

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era, 15 Sept. 2012
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The Otherworld is perched on the brink of war. The Supernatural Liberation Movement are poised to reveal the existence of supernaturals to the rest of the world in a bloody display of power, utilizing a deadly virus in hopes of controlling those in positions of power. Savannah Levine is forced to make a stand and lead a group to stop the revelations. Now Elena and Clay, Paige and Lucas, Jeremy and Jaime, Hope, Eve and more must stand with Savannah and Adam to protect their world.

This is the final book in the Otherworld series (which started with Bitten) and is the concluding part of a trilogy within the main series that began with Waking the Witch and Spell Bound. This isn't the absolute end of the series as the author plans to release short stories, but it is the end for now. If you are a new reader I'd encourage you to start at the beginning of the series as this is a conclusion of all the previous books.

Once again Savannah is the narrator although I was thrilled to see chapters from the perspectives of past narrators (Elena, Paige, Eve, Jaime and Hope all have a turn) as not only was it a way of saying goodbye to their characters, it also furthered the storyline. Savannah is still pretty much without her powers but she is learning that wasn't her only strength and is fighting back. Her relationship with Adam finally moves into romance territory, although the sheer amount of action in the storyline means that the romance is in the background.

The storyline is fast paced and densely plotted, packed with twists and turns that leave you breathless. The author manages to pick up all sorts of storylines from the previous books and novellas and uses them to create an action-packed deliciously detailed plot. Even storylines I thought were over (Lucas's role in the Cabal, Jaz's imprisonment, Adele's baby, Savannah's relationship with the Nasts) are picked up and developed further. The relationships between the characters are also developed further, with Lucas struggling with Adam's feeling for Savannnah and Karl finally accepting his role in the Pack.

The ending is perfect but hard to discuss without spoilers. All I can say is that each character ends up with something that makes them incredibly happy but thought they could never have. There is a final note included at the end from Kelley Armstrong that explains why she chose to end the book (and series) in this way and I fully agree with her. This is a beautiful, if bittersweet, conclusion to one of my favourite series.

There is also a bonus short story included called "From Russia, with Love" featuring Elena. Basically it is a brief story that shows how she takes on the Alpha role and for me it's inclusion in this edition was brilliant. Before I read the final three books, I felt the series should end as it began with Elena as the narrator. I loved how the series was concluded but this is really the icing on top as it brings Elena full circle and gives the conclusion I was hoping for.

All in all this was a brilliant end to an outstanding series.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand finale, 7 Aug. 2012
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
13 is the thirteenth and final book in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series and therefore this review may contain spoilers for the earlier books. This is one of my favourite series, so I highly recommend going out and getting your paws on Bitten if you haven't been bitten yet...

"Anything you thought you knew about our world? Forget it. Someone has tossed out the rulebook. Ghosts can cross the divide. Hell-hounds can manifest. Demi-demons can possess living children... It's not going to get any better until it's over."

Having just escaped an exploding building, Savannah is on the run with Jaime at her side. Her magic is still on the blink but she knows it's there if she can just conserve it. So it's not very helpful when they both get arrested on suspicion of terrorism. It doesn't take long for them to realise all is not what it seems? Is it the Supernatural Liberation Movement (which Savannah has nick-named SLAM) or could it be another cabal? With Savannah's half-brother Bryce at death's door, time is against them to find a cure. The supernatural community is taking sides but which will win? Reveal supernaturals to the greater world or stay hidden forever?

It's certainly a grand finale for the Women of the Otherworld series. You know in the last episodes of Angel where it all starts hitting the fan and everyone gets involved a bit? Well 13 is a bit like that, but with all your favourite Otherworldly characters; each major player making an appearance. Really, I'm not sure if it will make any sense if you haven't read the series and it is certainly not the place to start (go read Bitten, please) but it's a fond farewell for existing fans. Narrated mostly by Savannah, it makes the last three books (Waking the Witch, Spell Bound, 13) a trilogy within the series.

There's plenty of closure and redemption, although no one character really gets to steal the show. Savannah is a little distracted by the developments between her and Adam, and I found them a little awkward at times, especially her doubt and worrying about what others will think. She comes across a little younger than she did in Waking the Witch and Spell Bound. I loved the demon lords, who developed some personality just in time for the end. There are a few moments when my heart was in my mouth and I doubt very much the ups and downs will be a disappointment to fans.

If you buy the hardback edition, there is a bonus Elena short story. I enjoyed having this as an epilogue as I have always been a fan of The Pack and would have felt a little bit lost without their final say.

Now you may be sobbing over the end of your favourite series but Kelley has promised a brand new adult series starting next year, a third Nadia book, the final book in her second YA Otherworld trilogy and further Otherworld short fiction... and she hasn't even ruled out returning to the Otherworld in the future. She just needs a break and I'm sure we can all understand that. I'm really looking forward to the Nadia book and seeing where her talents take her in the next few years. Plus, I've stored up a pile of short fiction to keep me going in the mean time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ending to a Fantastic Series!, 1 Aug. 2012
Marie Malyon "Rie Reviews" (England) - See all my reviews
This final book in the Women of the Otherworld series is all that fans could have wanted... and more! Action packed, fantastically written and some fab character development make this a 5/5!

At 419 pages this is not a short book, but the hard back with a reasonable size font is easy to read. Having read everything published around the series I was also able to skip the first few chapters which were a re-publish of the opening chapter of Bitten (Women of the Otherworld), the first book in the series and a preview published in The Hunter and the Hunted. If you haven't read anything by Armstrong before, this wouldn't be a bad place to pick it up.

Each character from all the previous books makes an appearance and readers are treated to some great character development.This action packed book pulls at the emotions with worry, loss and anger, but more importantly returning to the lust, romance and love amongst the characters that the latter books in the series have lacked.

The narrative moves so fast, but even so at just over the half way point I was baffled at how Armstrong was going to tie up all the loose ends.Yet the ending works fantastically. Not falling into the trap of trying to deliver too many happy endings the extra little short story From Russia with Love, in my opinion, was the perfect finish.

I am so sad that the series is over, but having been promised a new adult series, Omens & Shadows, with the first book Cainsville being released next year, there is so much to look forward too!

5.0 out of 5 stars The last book in the series, 20 Jun. 2013
The war is here and Savannah and the rest of the interracial council are on the front lines.

The book starts immediately after the bombing of the medical lab and with Bryce critically ill, Savannah, Adam, Jeremy and Jaime are on the run from the members of the reveal movement. Savannah is reeling from the disaster (and also a passionate kiss with Adam) and is soon arrested with Jaime. In the police station, strange things begin to happen and Savannah is left in shock when her mother is brought over to the world of the living. The veil between one world and the next is thinning and with it ghosts, demons and angels are being released amongst the living. There is division amongst the supernaturals and the higher beings about revealing their world to humans and along with it there is a race against time to prevent the groups plans from happening (although somehow there is time for Savannah and Adam to confirm their relationship).

I am so sad about this being the last book of the series but I loved it all the same. I loved the action, the storyline, the relationship between Adam and Savannah and even the ending fit so well and left it open for the short stories that Kelley is planning to write in an anthology. Every major character is involved in some way and a few smaller stories, such ad the fate of Jasper Haig, are concluded. Read this series you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well rounded conclusion to the story of long acquainted characters, 28 Aug. 2012
This is a tale narrated by Savannah, a surprising narrator for the final booking in the Women of the Otherworld collection. I've read them all, had most titles on pre-order immediately after reading the last. So you can establish I'm a fan! I've read most of the titles by this author however, this is the series that I rate above all others. It captured my from the onset in Bitten and just became more riveting as the books came along.

I'm offering no spoilers here so will only go on to say that all the key characters have there part, however small. Their inclusion in this story is never just to tick a check sheet they have relevance. The spell casters in the Otherworld Series have long been a favourite of mine so I was pleased that Savannah was the focus but hoped for a little more Paige and Lucas, which brings me back to the authors relevance in using the characters. She needed to be true to the story so they played their part.

A bittersweet ending to a long running series, I live in hope that the author will go on to imagine another world for her adult readers! I will miss these people.

Thank you Kelley.

Thirteen (Women of the Otherworld)
Thirteen (Women of the Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong (Hardcover - 24 July 2012)
Used & New from: £0.75